Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manix 2 Skeletonized Liners

Manix 2 Skeletonized Liners

ADVERTISEMENT
    Bored + Vodka + Redbull = lightweight manix 2
    Dropped a little under and ounce off the weight of a manix 2 with this

Nice job

I got scared as I read vodka, but these look really well done

Should have been done from the factory on all Manix 2s not just the sprints.

If anyone is interested I could do the same to your liners for you.

How did you do this? Mill?

Yes cnc mill

Vodka + red bull + power tools = severed appendage

Great work. I'd be jealous if you knocked that out on a Dremel. Nice to have access to such toys.

Quote Originally Posted by g17steve View Post
    Should have been done from the factory on all Manix 2s not just the sprints.
    not true.

Quote Originally Posted by brady.kevin07 View Post
    not true.
    Brady,

Why do you disagree? Please elaborate. If your using your knife for normal cutting tasks what ever loss in strength shouldn't be a problem. Even if you did use your Manix 2 for something you shouldn't the blade will probably fail before the handle or lock for that matter.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by socalkid View Post
    Brady,

Why do you disagree? Please elaborate. If your using your knife for normal cutting tasks what ever loss in strength shouldn't be a problem. Even if you did use your Manix 2 for something you shouldn't the blade will probably fail before the handle or lock for that matter.

Chris
    Just my 2 cents, but not everyone is bothered with perceived strength that a 'heavier' knife offers (a perception you will notice: a heavy knife is a strong one). Some, including myself, find the Manix 2 to be light enough and won't like it to change and it has nothing to do with strength.

Quote Originally Posted by hondahirny View Post
    Vodka + red bull + power tools = severed appendage

Great work. I'd be jealous if you knocked that out on a Dremel. Nice to have access to such toys.
    yes its fun having a machine shop in my basement, do all sorts of fun stuff.

Think im going to skeletonize the liners of my benchmade rift next

Quote Originally Posted by marthinus View Post
    Just my 2 cents, but not everyone is bothered with perceived strength that a 'heavier' knife offers (a perception you will notice: a heavy knife is a strong one). Some, including myself, find the Manix 2 to be light enough and won't like it to change and it has nothing to do with strength.
    I dont understand your thought process here. If you agree that there is no or very little strength lost, why would you not want it lighter. In my mind ounces = lbs lbs= pain. I understand that this is less than 1 ounce and that may not make a big difference in the large scale, but consider this.
    we eliminated approx 1/5 the weight of the knife
    the user of that blade typically wears mesh style gym shorts to work and wanted to to be as light as possible for that reason
    Milling the liners also changed the balance point of the knife so that the pivot of the knife is now the balance point, this makes its more user friendly

Quote Originally Posted by mioduz View Post
    I dont understand your thought process here. If you agree that there is no or very little strength lost, why would you not want it lighter. In my mind ounces = lbs lbs= pain. I understand that this is less than 1 ounce and that may not make a big difference in the large scale, but consider this.
    we eliminated approx 1/5 the weight of the knife
    the user of that blade typically wears mesh style gym shorts to work and wanted to to be as light as possible for that reason
    Milling the liners also changed the balance point of the knife so that the pivot of the knife is now the balance point, this makes its more user friendly
    Spend enough time on the forum and you will realise: there are more then one school of thought. For excample, according to your thought process ounces= pounds, pounds = pain. Others feel pounds=strength. Then there is at least my school of thought, pounds= I don't care it feels fine in my pocket and hand when I cut. None are wrong, just different opinions.

I disagree on the gym shorts tough. Then I clip on a Salt but for day to day use working in the field I don't know the difference when walking through the door and thinking, 'Damn I wish I had a 4ounce knife rather then a 4.5 ounce, my right leg is so tired I could die'. My safety boots are much more of a concern after 12 hours.

Btw, you did fantastic work and as long as you are happy that is all that matters.

wow I can barely tie my shoes after drinking

Eric Glesser said in a interview they didn't skeletonized the liner because of cost and pocket lint. Not because of strength. It's on the nutnfancy review video of the manix, around the 28min mark.
    These liner belong to my knife. And it feel great in my pocket. I found myself not carrying this knife because it was to heavy. But now its been finding its way in my edc rotation more.

Thank you mioduz for your work highly recommend this to anyone that has a mantix.

Sir, I am impressed and jealous. Nice work.

mioduz, great job! Maybe the factory could use your help.

Spend enough time on the forum and you will realise: there are more then one school of thought. For excample, according to your thought process ounces= pounds, pounds = pain. Others feel pounds=strength. Then there is at least my school of thought, pounds= I don't care it feels fine in my pocket and hand when I cut. None are wrong, just different opinions.
    Great point marthinus! Couldn't have said it better myself. Personally I love the full liners, don't care if they are skeletonized on the Manix 2 or XL, it's the larger fixed blades that are starting to kill me with the weight.

looks like you did a good job.

I just have to say that I don't get why some people want their knives to weigh next to nothing. they are most likely not going to the north pole, so they don't need to save weight everywhere.

I got a manix 2 and I love the weight of it. I also got a manix 2 XL, but unfortunately I got one with milled out liners.

Quote Originally Posted by sogflash View Post
    looks like you did a good job.

I just have to say that I don't get why some people want their knives to weigh next to nothing. they are most likely not going to the north pole, so they don't need to save weight everywhere.

I got a manix 2 and I love the weight of it. I also got a manix 2 XL, but unfortunately I got one with milled out liners.
    what are the benefits of the heavier knife?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information