Thread: Good News!

Good News!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Well, before I get into the survival/outdoors-related part, I've been stuggling through future assignments in the Army and was just nominated for a good job. Our new commander wanted to fill the Inspector General (IG) position and I had shown interest in the past...the deputy commander recommended me and now my packet is being submitted. It will be a different job but more importantly a three-year commitment and stabilization for the family.

Now, IG school is at Fort Belvoir, VA. I'll be there either mid October to early November or late November to mid December (most likely the latter). Any good hiking or mountain biking trails in the area or at least within a couple hour's drive? I'll probably just take my own truck so I can bring my backpacking gear and mountain bike. I should have have a few weekends to get out and about while at school. Anybody in the area with some good advice?

ROCK6

Congratulations!!!
    Rest in peace Bill. I wish I could have done more. You are sorely missed.

#331 In Ryan W's 2014 GAW

Glad to hear it Rock!

ROCK 6- congratulations the IG is an important position. I've enjoyed watching them put a few over zealous G6's in their place. If you hunt at all put in for a deer tag at Belvoir. I'm am on that post once a month and the deer around the golf course are incredible. I never have time to enjoy any of the area due to work and wanting to get back home to family. You should have a good time. You are there when the weather is enjoyable. Shoot me an email and if I am there when you are when can grab dinner and a beer.

Congratulations Rock. Having been the subject of a few IG inspections myself, I can appreciate the work. Belvoir is a nice spot--not too close to D.C. and you can still find some good soft shell crabs. Make time for a trip to Assateague island. Oh, Gettysburg National Battlefield is a couple hours away--fantastic site if you've never been.

Congrats Rock! Thats really great news for you and your family.

Great news!!

I don't have any info for VA, but if you want to venture into WESTERN MD I can help!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RWT View Post
    ROCK 6- congratulations the IG is an important position. I've enjoyed watching them put a few over zealous G6's in their place. If you hunt at all put in for a deer tag at Belvoir. I'm am on that post once a month and the deer around the golf course are incredible. I never have time to enjoy any of the area due to work and wanting to get back home to family. You should have a good time. You are there when the weather is enjoyable. Shoot me an email and if I am there when you are when can grab dinner and a beer.
    Will do on the potential link up...I hoping to bag a deer before the school date

ROCK6

Wow, that is aweome.

Congrats!!

Congrats!!
    I haven't lived up in that area for years, but when I did there were plenty of hiking spots. A friend who still lives up there often posts wonderful pics on FB of White Oak Canyon. Looks really awesome.

Great news buddy, I'm real pleased for you and the family !

Rock - You'll be a couple hours away from the A.T. which is always a fun hike. The Mid-Atlantic region has a vibrant mt bike community. Check in with my old buddies at National Capital Velo Club(http://www.ncvc.net/default.aspx), or head up to Damascus, MD.(near Fredrick) and stop in at All American Bicycle and Fitness Center(http://aabikes.com/), both of which organize road and mt bike rides at all levels. They may even take you up into the Catoctin Mtns where you might ride past the famous "Camp #6".

Congrats on the new(to be) posting.

-Peter

congrats man. great opportunity for you and the family.
    It's touchier than a Vatican summer camp in here-Expatriated
    Proud supporter of hard use knives
    Busse Combat, --- Oink soldier
    Horton Knives-- built for bad times
    Jk knives - your design or his.

Thread Information