Thread: Looking for thin scales of wood.

Looking for thin scales of wood.

ADVERTISEMENT
    I'm looking for wood around 1/8" thick, to use as a scale. And the knife is pretty small, so I'd only need a scale 4"x1.125"x0.125". However, if there's extra, it's okay, but the thing is I can't find any wood in the right thickness. The thinnest I can find is 3/8" thick, and it seems like such a waste of wood to sand it all down. Also, I don't have the equipment to halve a scale, so that's out of my options. Anyone know where to buy scales like this? Looking for cocobolo, ironwood, amboyna, snake, or any "fancy" wood.

I'd call Burl Source. He will cut blocks into scales for free after ordering. I'd bet he would do them to your thickness.

check the Woodcraft store in San Carlos or Dublin?
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Second the suggestion about Mark at Burl Source. He will help you out.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Thanks for the suggestions, the only problem is that Burl Source is extremely pricey, and I'm looking for something that I can actually afford. Under $20 would probably be my limit.

Woodcraft has a bin of 24" long thin exotic wood slats. They go from 1/8" to 1/4" thick. There are several woods that are good for handles.
    Stacy E.Apelt
    It is better to die fighting evil than to live under it.

Theres a place near the San Jose airport I want to check out, Global Wood Source.

if your ever thru livermore, i can leave out some ironwood scales in whatever thickness you need. I cut up a couple large blocks and have more than I will use. I also am all over the east bay daily and can leave them anywhere. pleasanton to walnut creek. James
    ( i also have some 1 X 30 belts and a dead 1 x 30 sander which will not be replaced if anyone needs them)

Could you elaborate on what are considered the better handle woods that Woodcraft has? Thanks

It's not very exotic, but I have some ipe (brazilian walnut). It looks like I'm pretty close to where you are. I work in San Jose just off Silver Creek and 101. If you want a piece, no charge.

Ric

You can split a scale with a simple fretsaw.

Thread Information