Thread: NWG top speed?

NWG top speed?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I've got a new NWG that I've just finished. Runs at about 1400, 2400, 4400 RPM with step pullies. I'm thinking that full blast might be good for rough grinding, but the machine sure gets loud at 4400 RPM. Most of the noise seems to be in the pullies and link belt, not the wheels or grinding belt. Is there a "top speed" for the NWG, or for the wheels from USA Knifemaker? I'd like to run it that fast occasionally if it's safe, but I don't want parts flying off at my head.

Just make sure everything is tight and you should be alright. My suggestion would be if you are wanting to run that fast to take it to a weld shop and have them put some weld on it. That would make it MUCH safer!!

Honestly I wouldnt run it that fast, mine is single speed toward the slower end and it still hogs some metal off without issue. Dont know if they are necessarily tested for a high speed. Could check over on knife dogs forum as they provide support for them over there I think.

The frame is actually welded. I increased the spring/belt tension and it got a little smoother, just still loud. May put on the riot gear and give 'er a grind and see what happens.

Wouldn't the size of the drive wheel play an important part? What is the actual belt speed in linear feet per minute?

You might also want to check with the manufacturer of the belts you're using. Seems like I read somewhere once that some belts have an "optimum" speed that they like to run at. Running too fast could be destroying your belts before their time is due. I like slower myself. Just seems I can maintain control better.

Jason
    We built my brother a welded NWG about 3 years ago,it has a 1750 rpm motor,2-3-4 step pulleys and a 4" drive wheel.His stays on the fastest speed as he does fab work.Makes alot of noise but hasn't come apart yet.

Stan
    www.sbuzekknives.com
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

4" drive wheel. With Pi being 3.1416, that translates into roughly equal RPM and SFPM. Seems like the SFPM is 3 or 5% higher than the RPM, but not much. Too early in the morning for math without a calculator.

Thread Information