Thread: Whats the longest HI-khukuri that is still practical?

Whats the longest HI-khukuri that is still practical?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I went hiking today with my wife and our dogs. We had a great time, even though my wife thought my wood chopping was boring...
    When I got back, I looked at the pictures and was quite surprised by what I saw. I was expecting to see me wielding a GIANT 18" Ganga Ram Special!! Instead, its just an 18" grs... It doesn't look like a huge knife in my hands. I have always said on here that I'm a big guy, and now I have photographic evidence that an 18" Ganga Ram doesn't even look that big in my hands..

This is with the knife still in the sheath, being worn baldric stile. It looks larger while it is still in the sheath.

So, now I have an itching for a much longer khukuri. My wife has already said that I can't have it now..
    But, part of the HIKV is dreaming of the next khukuri.
    My question is simple. What is the longest/biggest khukuri that is still practical for hiking in the woods and chopping stuff? I don't really notice the weight/size of my 18"GRS when I hike, so I imagine that a bigger khukuri wouldn't be too burdensome on shorter hikes. I don't think I'm looking for a 4 pound monster, as chopping endurance would be effected. Anyways, I figured it would be a fun topic to discuss, and hopefully I'll end up with a khukuri that looks like a real monster in my paws...

For most normal humans 20" khukuri are about the limit, but there are abnormal people who would feel comfortable weilding larger that that.
    It all really depends on how much you feel you can safely chop with and want to lug around on your person.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaओं मणिपद्मेहaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Not to put myself in the 'abnormal human' category, but I really didn't think my Ganga Ram would look so small in my hands. It really made me rethink what is "too big". Are all the field rated Khukuri over 20" going to weigh in over 60oz?

I think I'm understanding the desire for the longer Khukuri now. Yesterday I thought anything longer than 18" was more than I needed. But now I'm seeing that a 21"-25" Khukuri is in my future. I'm starting to really like the looks of the Gelbu Special.

The Gelbu's are very nice, but they are a fighting knife like the sirupate, chitlangi etc... and not warranted for chopping wood.
    My advise would be to ask auntie if she could custom order a Khuk in the size and weight range you would like and see if she thinks it doable.
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaओं मणिपद्मेहaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks for the advice Karda!

I've never seen a 20"+ ASTK (do they exist?) but based on the 18s that I own I think that might be kind of what you are looking for. I know you said you don't like CAKs so I think a bigger ASTK may fit the bill if you're looking for something that is "field rated". I think it would come in well under 60oz too since my 18s are 28 and 29oz respectively. A 21" or 22" would probably come in at 40-45oz, especially if 3/8" spine thickness was specified.

Eta

Like the way that 18" GRS looks. Seems like the 22" version is not nearly as "Khukurilike" in its forward curve as yours.
    Last edited by falar; 09-17-2012 at 03:04 AM.

What's your height / weight? just wondering at I'm 6-5" and looking at my first HI.

6'1 295.
    My first full size khukuri was my BAS. I highly recommend it as a first time khukuri.

For me, 18" is perfect. The 16" seem a little short (for me) and don't deliver the solid chopping thud that I like (this is feel only, I have never done any kind of a real test). For all I know it could be that my WWII's blade geometry is just better than my BAS and Chiruwa AK, both of which are 16-16.5" and their chopping ability had nothing to do with length.

Slightly longer might be okay. I do have a 25" and 30" sirupati and have used to chop down a hedge with my son. It was fun, but required 2 hands and it seemed like the length got in the way more than it helped. Of course, that's kind of the extreme end of things.

I think 18 is perfect. Long enough to chop hard but short enough to carry. I have a 21" chitlangi and it's really long in the sheath.

On a fun note....
    Your dog is in the EXACT same pose in both pics. Almost looks photoshopped! Gave me a chuckle.

And I love my CAK. Big guy myself and it feels right when I hold and swing.

Even though I am 6'4" 300 lbs I can tell you that a 26.5" CAK is mostly good just for limited use at 74 ounces. You can guess which one that would be...

I find 22" to be the longest that I would care to use for an extended time so from experience I would agree with Karda on his point of 20".

The middle AK above is 19" 36 ounces and is quite comfy for extended use (for me). The 15" BAS is a great little workhorse.
    Last edited by rfguy; 09-19-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Its the return of the stealth khukuri!! I love that that photo!

Quote Originally Posted by NYCDanMan View Post
    On a fun note....
    Your dog is in the EXACT same pose in both pics. Almost looks photoshopped! Gave me a chuckle.
    I didn't even notice that. She was worn out by that time. She has had much endurance since she got heart-worm a few years ago when we lived in Austin, TX. The heart-worm is so bad there that she got it even while she was on Heartguard.

I'm hoping that the 20.5 Chitlangi that I scored the other day will fill my "need" for a longer khukuri. I won't be taking it out chopping like my 18" Ganga Ram or my 15" BAS, so I may end up getting a slightly less than practical beast of a a chopper later on. For now, I'm hoping that my desire for BIG is somewhat satiated by the Chitlangi. At 20.5" it will be 1.5" longer than Owen Zastava Pitt's 19" Chitlangi!
    So I'll be zombie ready for sure!!

The 21" Chitlangi I got recently is practically a shortsword, and almost responds like the wakizashi I have. It does respond well to traditional sword technique, albeit being wielded by just one hand, and being forward balanced.
    I think you'll love it.
    That being said, I have a feeling I'll be getting a Kobra or Sirupati soon that will be 25 inches or more. I'm enjoying practicing technique with the Chitlangi waaayyyyy too much to be healthy. Haha.
    Last edited by Ta2warrior; 09-19-2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Spelling Error

Quote Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
    Its the return of the stealth khukuri!! I love that that photo!

I didn't even notice that. She was worn out by that time. She has had much endurance since she got heart-worm a few years ago when we lived in Austin, TX. The heart-worm is so bad there that she got it even while she was on Heartguard.

I'm hoping that the 20.5 Chitlangi that I scored the other day will fill my "need" for a longer khukuri. I won't be taking it out chopping like my 18" Ganga Ram or my 15" BAS, so I may end up getting a slightly less than practical beast of a a chopper later on. For now, I'm hoping that my desire for BIG is somewhat satiated by the Chitlangi. At 20.5" it will be 1.5" longer than Owen Zastava Pitt's 19" Chitlangi!
    So I'll be zombie ready for sure!!
    I bet you'll like it. I love my 20" Siru, it is probably my favorite out of all of my knives. It did make me want a 25" though and as cool as my 25" is it is a bit unwieldy.

AFAIK it's practical enough for me to go to fields or tropical forest with 25" or 20" OAL Siru.
    Anyhow my 25" and 20" OAL Siru is a light version (i.e. special ordered made by Bura with ~ 5/16" thick spine).

25" OAL Siru.

20"OAL Siru.

5/16" thick spine.

And I would prefer the 25" OAL Siru when I have to go through area with long grasses where it's more effective to use it.
    I'm very lucky to get it made for me and I'm always very grateful with Uncle Bill who asked Bura to make them with thinner blades.

mohd

Your Sirus look amazing.

Wish I hadn't showed up to the party late, so to speak.

Would love to have some of Bura's work.

Thread Information