Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me decide on a pulpit knife: BM 940 or Spyderco Caly 3.5 Zdp-189 or Sog Facet

ADVERTISEMENT
    I really like my 940, it basically disappears in the pocket and the green finish is holding up very well

Sorry

Don't want to give you more options, but if you like axis lock, and spydie hole, you want to also look at Benchmade 15020.

Also, if you don't have a Spyderco Manix 2, get one.

Really like the thought of the red and black 940! Icancutstuff...where did you get the info on this? Kreole...you got everything I'm interested in. Just take a picture of your collection and I'll clone it piece by piece. How is the M390? Dont have any in that but If I go 710 in M390 I might have to start making custom scales for the 710!
    Custom knife scales and knife modifications
    *Blade HQ is now carrying some of my ZT 0550 scales.
    -Current Project: A batch of ZT 0560 scales!
    -Contact me for any knife related special orders*

Hey Preacher, don't have a recommendation for you on the knife, but I wanted to give you a shout out for the awesome ZT 550 scale you made for me. The knife hasn't left my pocket and the grin hasn't left my face since I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Preacher View Post
    Really like the thought of the red and black 940! Icancutstuff...where did you get the info on this? Kreole...you got everything I'm interested in. Just take a picture of your collection and I'll clone it piece by piece. How is the M390? Dont have any in that but If I go 710 in M390 I might have to start making custom scales for the 710!
    No testing, but their M390 seems good to me. BM on some steels is sketchy IMO, their M4 being an example, but I have a Spyderco Military in M390 and haven't been able to tell a difference between them.

Here's hoping you go with the 710 because I wouldn't mind a new set of scales, especially if you mess with micarta

Jstn! Thanks for the shout out. I love hearing how people like the scales. Enjoy my friend!

Before I say anything, I have to say that I am a huge fan of the AXIS lock....over all other lock types. That said, I do have many other lock type knives and some higher end knives.

The BM 710 in M390 is easily the "bang for your buck/Daily EDC/Easy to carry tactical blade/Etc"
    For a 4" blade, its a very slim line form factor. The liners in it are massive, thicker than these new "tactical" models BM now has.
    Personally, I carry one with a BM factory low-ride clip and its bliss. IIRC The AXIS lock was designed around the 710, they truly got it right the first time!

I have handled many many BM knives. The KW exclusives in M390 (710/Ares/AFCK) are the best build quality I have seen, out of ALOT of BM knives.
    Incredibly smooth, perfect lockup and perfectly centered. (all 3 versions that I have handled) I have never owned a Gold Class BM, but the M390 specials have an extra touch of quality/feel/operation to them.
    Functionality wise; the ability to deploy a fast 4" blade...use it...and retract it/safely put it away, in a matters of seconds is pure joy.

The 940 is a legendary knife, for which all "lightweight tactical EDC" knives should be judged.
    I have had many, and they are wonderful. Very carry friendly package, with a very long useable blade, with a nice strong tip.
    Alot of folks complain about the alu scales, but to me it makes it feels ok....and gives a nice THWACK when opening and closing.
    Many will say the weak link is the omega spring design. While I personally have had them break overtime, never once have they both broke at the same time...or rendered the blade useless...and we are talking thousands of flips in/out on them. You can make alot of Omega springs out of a guitar string.

The 710, and 940 are easily some of the top models to own if you like BM knives. M390 is proving to be a winner too!

You can thank me later..........with a nice pair scales

Tough one I have the 710 but always wanted a 940 . If you don't have a 710 I would start off with that one in m390 can't beat the price for the materials. But the purple titanium backspace in the 940 is somthing to lust after... You may end up with both.

Well Gents...a 710 in M390 is on its way! Thank you for all the insight. I will be getting a 940 eventually but I'm going to wait and hope for the limited version in red and black g-10. To those who have a 710...let me know if you want some scales. Once I get done with the batch of 0560's I'm probably going to make the 710 my next project knife. I am open to color and material suggestions and may even take preorders for those with a specific preference. See you on the forum and God Bless!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information