Thread: A2 as a blade steel

A2 as a blade steel

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hi guys, I will not dare to open the old can of worms by comparing different steels - I just ask can you please tell me the pros and cons of A2 as a blade steel?
    I am thinking particularly of large blades vs smaller, for instance, folders.
    Thanks,

Mike

A2, in my experiences with it, and with my very limited metallurgical knowledge,

I see it as a nice all-around steel, I prefer 01 to work with, but A2 is pretty much the same place in quality.
    I've only had one knife in A2 and it's held up for a few years now.
    Being a borderline Stainless, it resists corrosion with no problem, just clean it up after use.
    I can't tell ya much about comparing larger and smaller blades, for the reason I've only had one in A2.
    Also, 01 is more easily available in different sizes if your referring to knife making.

A2 is a great cutlery steel -- Mike Stewart has used it in many of his superb Bark River line of knives. Highly stain resistant, very tough, takes a fine edge. It takes a bit longer to sharpen than carbon steel, but no more so than any of today's higher end steels like D2, S30V, etc (using diamond hones).

My personal preference for non-stainless. Take a look at the link to see what A2 can do:

**Graphic dead animal content**
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ppmann+graphic

Cons..will rust if not maintained.
    Other that that it's a good knife steel.3/16" makes a good hard use knife if H/Ted properly.

Stan
    www.sbuzekknives.com
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

Properly heat treated A2 will be as good of a blade as any of us need.

At one point, my life was meaningless. Hobos spit on me and little children would run up and punch me in the groin.

It's my go to for non stainless. I have used it for everything, skinners, choppers. Heat treat it according to use.
    WWW.JBSKNIVES.COM
    Blade Show table 19 D

Quote Originally Posted by Danbo View Post
    Properly heat treated A2 will be as good of a blade as any of us need.
    Danbo knows

Joe Paranee
    JParanee@aol.com
    NRA Life Member
    R.I.P. Phill Hartsfield

I like A2 a lot, but it's nowhere near stainless. more so than O1 and the simpler steels, sure.
    My cousin has a paring knife in A2 and it's all kinds of patina'd. She's pretty good about cleaning it (stern lecture on delivery, well-received).
    My mom has the same blade in 154CM, and she's an abuser. It sits for weeks covered in lime juice and she has occasionally put it through the dishwasher. There are only minor marks on the tang, and I'm not sure from which... (she recently got a stern lecture on the dishwasher too... not so well received)
    Beckerhead #int((2/3)*100)
    My knives, etc.: http://crosstownoutdoors.wordpress.com/
    "You have to admit it's a good looking heart attack." --Tradewater

My favorite non-stainless. It's possible, not at all certain, but possible that my O1 blades
    hold and edge a little bit better but the ease of HT with plate quench is a big plus for A2.
    Dan Pierson

Guys, thank you very much for your replies and observations, it is good news.
    Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pierson View Post
    My favorite non-stainless. It's possible, not at all certain, but possible that my O1 blades
    hold and edge a little bit better but the ease of HT with plate quench is a big plus for A2.
    Really Dan? I was under the impression A2 held a bit better of an edge. I'd be interested to hear more about it, specifically what hardness and geometries were used, for reference later.
    I have a new mid-tech knife coming soon! The Dart Personal Knife will be out around March 2015. Email or message me for more details. The website will be up soon.

That was poorly phrased. I meant to point out that A2 was very comparable to O1 not that
    either was better for kitchen use. My O1 blades are older and neither the number of knives
    nor my process control over the time I've made them is enough for me to determine which
    is better. They're both very good steels.

Also, I don't cryo my A2 and that means that they're not quite as hard as they could be.
    Dan Pierson

Thread Information