Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Microtech Socom Elite - It arrived! Pictures and intial thoughts

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,423

    Microtech Socom Elite - It arrived! Pictures and intial thoughts


    ADVERTISEMENT
    Well it was home waiting for me by the time I got home from work. Initial thoughts are that the size and shape are amazing. It opens smooth and very fast. Fit and finish are wonderful. In fact, my only quarrel with the knife is a slightly sticky lock but I'm hoping that goes away with time/lubrication. It carries very deep in the pocket as well making it pretty low key. I'd say she's definitely a keeper. Now on to the pics.
















  2. #2
    Great pics of a great cutter! One of my favorites.

  3. #3
    Beautiful knife. I have one in green with black blade.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    258
    Glad you like it. I love mine, green handle with stonewashed blade.

  5. #5
    Nice blade. im thinking of a select fire

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    562
    These are nice blades. I know everyone is raving about the Socom Deltas and those are nice...but I prefer the Socom Elites.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    486
    I've been looking at that exact blade for a long time... I'd kill to get the 2012 model in green or tan, but I have the chance to pick up a nib black one for just under 200 bucks. There are so many things on the wishlist right now, it's hard to be sure without having the opportunity to handle the goods beforehand

    Grats on a nice purchase and thanks for the great pics

  8. #8
    I am sending mine into Microtech. My lock bar sticks extremely badly. It has torn my thumb up. But, the CTS204P holds a great edge.

  9. #9
    Mine is also the tan model with the grip tape inserts.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by TriviaMonster View Post
    I am sending mine into Microtech. My lock bar sticks extremely badly. It has torn my thumb up. But, the CTS204P holds a great edge.
    Keep at it man. Add some pencil graphite to the lock face and keep opening and closing it. Mine is definitely getting better with use.

  11. #11
    Just worked out a trade for an identical knife with tanto blade. Should arrive Monday. How do you like the carbon fiber compared to traction tape inserts?

  12. #12
    Nice!!
    Now get a MT OTF.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,181
    Wow looks really great. It has been on my wishlist for a while...one day

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    All over the place .
    Posts
    2,819
    hows the pocket clip retention, I have the chance to trade a 561 for the same socom elite has pictured above, I have 2 concerns though 1 is that I've heard horror stories about microtechs CS and 2 is those screws. On all my knives i take the clip off and bend it a little just to get better retention in the pocket but i see that microtech has it's on style screws and you can't adjust the friggin thing, so my question is do you think that the pocket clip holds the knife in the pocket well, as in you think any chance your knife may fall out?? I know the knife comes with a sheath but i'm not gonna carry a folder in a sheath sorry
    Hinderer,ZT,Spyderco,Microtech,Protech,Emerson For sale pm or email for details

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen R. View Post
    hows the pocket clip retention, I have the chance to trade a 561 for the same socom elite has pictured above, I have 2 concerns though 1 is that I've heard horror stories about microtechs CS and 2 is those screws. On all my knives i take the clip off and bend it a little just to get better retention in the pocket but i see that microtech has it's on style screws and you can't adjust the friggin thing, so my question is do you think that the pocket clip holds the knife in the pocket well, as in you think any chance your knife may fall out?? I know the knife comes with a sheath but i'm not gonna carry a folder in a sheath sorry
    I'd say the pocket retention is on part with my Umnumzaan, which is excellent. It's not too tight, and not too loose either. It also carries very low which helps keep it in your pocket. I'd trade my 0560 for this knife honestly (If I didn't already have one of course). Not saying the 0560 isn't a fantastic knife, but this one is just awesome.

  16. #16
    I have tried everything as far as the sticky lock goes. It has improved slightly, but it's still brutal and makes a loud snap when disengaged. Maybe I should word it differently. It's not just sticking, but rather jamming. I am now missing a chunk of skin on my thumb from it being so difficult. I have opened/closed it at least 1k times I am guessing and it is just the same as it was, maybe a hair improved. Graphite, sharpie, oil, thorough cleaings with soap and compressed air, nothing has improved or even made a difference. The pivot though has become as smooth as any knife I have ever used. It's just buttery smooth, a good bit smoother than my ZT 0561 or any Spydie or Benchmade.

    I am in the middle of moving between states so sending it in will need to be moved back a few weeks. I'll post results when I get a chance.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,423
    Quote Originally Posted by TriviaMonster View Post
    I have tried everything as far as the sticky lock goes. It has improved slightly, but it's still brutal and makes a loud snap when disengaged. Maybe I should word it differently. It's not just sticking, but rather jamming. I am now missing a chunk of skin on my thumb from it being so difficult. I have opened/closed it at least 1k times I am guessing and it is just the same as it was, maybe a hair improved. Graphite, sharpie, oil, thorough cleaings with soap and compressed air, nothing has improved or even made a difference. The pivot though has become as smooth as any knife I have ever used. It's just buttery smooth, a good bit smoother than my ZT 0561 or any Spydie or Benchmade.

    I am in the middle of moving between states so sending it in will need to be moved back a few weeks. I'll post results when I get a chance.
    I'm sorry you're having so much trouble. The pivot on mine is also now smooth as glass. I did put a tiny bit of CLP on the lock bar detent so it'd slide over the blade easier. Now that it has worn a smooth path on the blades finish, it's so smooth.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    407
    How is blade retention on these new Socom Elites?
    I have one with the 20CV blade and the blade nearly deploys just when I turn it upside down, there is probably a retention of 1 on a scale of 0-10 (10 being so much retention you can not open the blade at all)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,423
    I'd say the retention on mine is about perfect. It could have a little more detent to make the blade rocket open when you overcome it, but all it takes is a little more thumb speed to make it shoot out and lock up solid. I don't think I'd change the detent at all on this one.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The swamp
    Posts
    2,384
    They are great knives. I may get another some day soon. One of the few I regret trading off.
    Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •