Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you consider to be the Omega Speedmaster of Knives...unchanged and still....

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm61 View Post
    I'm not sure where you got your information about the Omegas, but maybe 8 years or so ago, I tried to get my old late 60's vintage Omega repaired at a big authorized dealer and they told me that Swatch Group, who owns Omega and a number other old brands, was no longer supporting the old classic watches. Once their supply of parts they inherited ran out, tough titties.
    If anything I have heard the exact opposite, specifically that Rolex has been known to turn away vintage watch owners due to lack of parts wheras Omega has fixed just about everything, and in rare cases will even make parts for high demand vintage watches, remember they did a recent run of bezels for older Seamaster 300s.

Not to mention there should be enough parts out there for the Speedy pro to last forever given how long the model has been in production and how little it has changed.

Jared told me that my old 60's Omega was NOT supported by Swatch. I had it fixed by an independent shop. Onthe other hand, the autborized Rolex dealers are happy to fix my old Air King, albeit for Rolex dealer prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew J View Post
    If anything I have heard the exact opposite, specifically that Rolex has been known to turn away vintage watch owners due to lack of parts wheras Omega has fixed just about everything, and in rare cases will even make parts for high demand vintage watches, remember they did a recent run of bezels for older Seamaster 300s.

Not to mention there should be enough parts out there for the Speedy pro to last forever given how long the model has been in production and how little it has changed.

Jared told me that my old 60's Omega was NOT supported by Swatch. I had it fixed by an independent shop. Onthe other hand, the autborized Rolex dealers are happy to fix my old Air King, albeit for Rolex dealer prices.
    I think that is the issue, I am not talking about independents or 3rd parties but rather factory service.

I have yet to hear of an Omega owner being turned away by Omega regardless of how old the piece is, wheras I have heard on many occasions Rolex turning away people with watches from the late 70s. Rolex has a 30 year out of production rule, meaning that if the watch is no longer made then you get 30 years where they guarantee they will service it, once that is past then you're up to their discretion with regards to parts and their willingness to service.

Omega I believe guarantees 20 years (might be 15) but again I haven't heard of anyone who gets sent away....

Did any of you guys see that tv commercial where one dude spats out some sports stats and says he's 99.9% sure... and the other dude says: "So, you don't know."

Get the drift?

Easy. Chris Reeve Sebenza.

Well, you have now met someone who had that happen to them. Please note that My watch is not-15-20 years old, but 45-50 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew J View Post
    I think that is the issue, I am not talking about independents or 3rd parties but rather factory service.

I have yet to hear of an Omega owner being turned away by Omega regardless of how old the piece is, wheras I have heard on many occasions Rolex turning away people with watches from the late 70s. Rolex has a 30 year out of production rule, meaning that if the watch is no longer made then you get 30 years where they guarantee they will service it, once that is past then you're up to their discretion with regards to parts and their willingness to service.

Omega I believe guarantees 20 years (might be 15) but again I haven't heard of anyone who gets sent away....

Omega Bienne are more than happy to take in a 60's Omega and frequently do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytaylor View Post
    yup, I think I have even heard that Jared will be losing the Omega line soon if they haven't already....also Omega is working hard to make their service consistent with tightening up restrictions on parts supplies, I would guess because of reposnses like the one of Jared to JDM61

I think with ANY brand mechanical or automatic you may have to bite the bullet and pay a fortune for a repair from an independent if the watch is old enough. There are shops that can fabricate any part you might need but I shutter at what it might cost. As to my Speedmaster, I went to a local jeweler because he was closer to home and it probably paid off the watch had an ETA movement as the part was easy to get. And Joe, I was asking Jared's about service when I was getting the new Seamaster as I was concerned about it's service from a dealer under warranty. His assurances were likely in regards to that watch. I never asked him in particular about servicing my Speedmaster. Hope none of this is never an issue as I plan on passing my Omegas on to my sons along with my knives

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytaylor View Post
    yup, I think I have even heard that Jared will be losing the Omega line soon if they haven't already....also Omega is working hard to make their service consistent with tightening up restrictions on parts supplies, I would guess because of reposnses like the one of Jared to JDM61

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information