Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: My thoughts on a Chris Reeve verses a Rick Hinderer

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufler View Post
    You're right. I don't know any.
    If you do, great. But we're talking about guys that buy $4k laptops... I just find it amusing to hear someone say they (soldiers) won't spend $400 on a knife.

Different strokes for different folks. I think ZT knives, Emersons, and Microtech knives are some of the ugliest knives ever made and yet there are many who love them. Doesn't bother me none...

Quote Originally Posted by Maprik View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. I think ZT knives, Emersons, and Microtech knives are some of the ugliest knives ever made and yet there are many who love them. Doesn't bother me none...
    A knife snob eh?

I have a standard XM-18 with the Carpenter steel blade. It is thick, its not a slicer like some of my other knives. My Strider SnG is even better as a slicer (reprofiled).

The tendency of manufacturers these days seems to be that they are making sharpened pry-bars. Not precision cutting tools. Its a shame really. The technology in the steels these days allows for some scary edges and dufable edges as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maprik View Post
    How dare you insult my knife!

Handbags at 30 yards!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akadave2 View Post
    ...The tendency of manufacturers these days seems to be that they are making sharpened pry-bars. Not precision cutting tools. Its a shame really. The technology in the steels these days allows for some scary edges and dufable edges as well.
    (this is a general reply to your comment)

when you're REALLY in the field, especially the "urban field", you need and want these "sharpened pry-bars" as you call them. i don't want to hesitate to pry something on the job because i think my precious folder might break a tip, i just want to do it.

most everyone here knows what brands/models the "sharpened pry-bars" are. they are made that way; so don't buy one and complain that they don't cut tomatos well. mirror, hair shaving edges are not a priority for them either; like how long does that last with a working knife...

Quote Originally Posted by pilote View Post
    (this is a general reply to your comment)

when you're REALLY in the field, especially the "urban field", you need and want these "sharpened pry-bars" as you call them. i don't want to hesitate to pry something on the job because i think my precious folder might break a tip, i just want to do it.

most everyone here knows what brands/models the "sharpened pry-bars" are. they are made that way; so don't buy one and complain that they don't cut tomatos well. mirror, hair shaving edges are not a priority for them either; like how long does that last with a working knife...
    I guess I should have been less general. I have seen hunting knives, for instance, those made by BRKT that, from the intent in designe appears to be a skinner/ hunting knife. The blades are very thick with a hefty bevel more suited to chopping or coarse cutting. I wouldnt cape an elk with one and I would use it to cut camp meat etc. It just seems that they are following the marketing trend. Bottom line is use the right tool for the right job. And as far as working knives, if you have ever worked in the carpentry trade or any of the support trade, the working knife of choice is a box cutter, basically a razorblade with a handle. When they want to pry they use a pry-bar.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread Information