Thread: my KFU TN Hunter

my KFU TN Hunter

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hey all.
    I got my TN Hunter in bubinga last week. This was in the same batch that the beautiful amboyna one was in. I missed that one, but i have to tell you...i really like the bubinga. it looks great. and this handle is one of the most comfortable i have had in a larger knife. This is a great knife.

With that said, i do have to admit that i am not a fan of the antique finish. No offense intended....and, don't get me wrong, i understand many folks like it...and it's not that i don't like it...i just prefer the classic satin blade. I immediately liked this blade enough that i decided to put some time in to strip off the finish. make 'er my own.

BEFORE:

And, had to get one of the great handle....

AFTER:

You might notice my thumb in the pics. something i forgot to mention, this thing is lazer sharp! Cut right through my thumb nail.

Chris...you must do a great job with this antique finish, because wow...it ain't easy to get off. this was by hand. BEFORE and AFTER took an 1+ hrs. and, i am not done. just ran out of time. i only got up to 320 grit. i will walk it up the ladder a bit on grits. I am quite pleased with how it is looking so far though.

thanks for the great knife Chris (per usual).
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #89
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

Wow, nice cut! I have had a few of those. Thanks for pics Todd!
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden
    Come join our forum!http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...andmade-Knives
    Like me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/KFU-Kn...19027924948726

Quote Originally Posted by KFU View Post
    Wow, nice cut! I have had a few of those. Thanks for pics Todd!
    oh, i bet you have.
    Looking for a muskrat (various makers) with carbon steel blades and a ~4" closed length. no delrin or acrylic scales.

no one cared much the first time, but that won't stop me from adding new pictures!

so...love the TN Hunter. Love the handle. BUT...the handle is a bit too big for my hands. too thick. so, i decided to skinnify it. i was a bit nervous because i wanted to contour this one. and, i have never done it before. but, much like this post....that has never stopped me before!

so, you will see that i need to do a bit more work on it to make it even. i had to stop though. i did it all by hand. mostly with files...then sandpaper. and, that muscle under my shoulder blade is all cramped up. i will finish another day. but, with all that said....i am pretty pleased with my first effort at a contoured handle.

even though it is a bit "rough"...it actually feels great in my hand. less talk. more pictures....

Looks nice! I am really liking the TN Hunter style.

The contouring looks like it worked well. Seems symmetrical and comfortable.

Todd, very interesting "design" on the handle. Never thought of having a grip made like that, but it looks interesting. I too am afflicted with the large handle/small blade problem with knives, but all the ones Chris has made for myself & Sally T fit like they were custom molded and then CNC cut to fit.
    Is there any "hot spots" with the contouring on either the front or the back ?
    Thanks for the pics, and that grain pattern on there is something else as well . . . Great score, good job on the blade as well.
    Be safe.

Rat Pack # 837

Quote Originally Posted by mrn8 View Post
    Looks nice! I am really liking the TN Hunter style.

The contouring looks like it worked well. Seems symmetrical and comfortable.
    thanks mrn8. trying to get the handles symmetrical is a bit maddening. so, i appreciate the kind words. you're too kind though. i need to touch it up. it was a good learning experience though.

and, as far as the TN Hunter goes...i would definitely recommend it. it's a great knife. if i had my druthers, i would go with 1/8" stock, but i knew what i was getting when i ordered it. almost asked chris to do an 1/8" version for me on one of his open slots he advertised. but, i was a bit too slow.

now that it fits my hand better, i am really interested in putting it to some good use.

Should be a good user for sure. Thats a lot of contouring for sure. I'd be scared to mess something up if I tried that, but it looks like it turned out good for you.

Whether you think you can or you think you can't.........you're right

Quote Originally Posted by JUST1MOR View Post
    Todd, very interesting "design" on the handle. Never thought of having a grip made like that, but it looks interesting. I too am afflicted with the large handle/small blade problem with knives, but all the ones Chris has made for myself & Sally T fit like they were custom molded and then CNC cut to fit.
    Is there any "hot spots" with the contouring on either the front or the back ?
    Thanks for the pics, and that grain pattern on there is something else as well . . . Great score, good job on the blade as well.
    Be safe.
    Hey J1M.
    I really liked the handle that Chris put on it. not sure what to call it ... palm swell?...the underneath of the handle where your fingers grip....anyway, that shape is perfect. i really like the handle design. the only problem was that it was too big of a handful for me. if i were really going to use it, i needed to remove some wood....make it thinner, in hand.

i accomplished that. and, it feels real good to hold. BUT...not sure about the hot spots. i haven't used it yet. I am eagerly awaiting a chance. i'll smooth 'er up a bit, but i plan on taking this one out for deer season.

thanks for the note.

Looking good man! Ill be making some TN Hunters soon in a hand finished satin blade just like you like em! They might even have hamons if I dont screw them up.
    KFU~Knives For Users~
    Chris Bowden
    Come join our forum!http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/fo...andmade-Knives
    Like me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/pages/KFU-Kn...19027924948726

Quote Originally Posted by ac700wildcat View Post
    Should be a good user for sure. Thats a lot of contouring for sure. I'd be scared to mess something up if I tried that, but it looks like it turned out good for you.
    it was a tough choice. i know if i start mucking around with it, and screw it up...or if i decide it's not for me...then, it would be pretty tough to try to sell. but ultimately, i really liked this knife. and, the only way i was going to really be able to use it was to take a chance on modifying it. i'm glad i did. the good news is...if i decide it is too contoured, or if it is "hot" in a spot, i can continue to customize it to my hand. needless to say...i think i have already made this one a keeper.

and, i couldn't be happier.

thanks AC.

Looking good man! Ill be making some TN Hunters soon in a hand finished satin blade just like you like em! They might even have hamons if I dont screw them up.
    Woohoo! can't wait to see them, chris. and, thanks bud.

Chris buddy, between you & BA, it seems like your so-called "screw-ups" have a way of turning out to be your next new model or a new type of finish with your knives . . . . .
    I was beginning to believe the words "mistake" or "oops" were not even in yours or BA's vocabulary . . . .
    Great job by the way on Todd's knife, really like the way the grain comes out on that handle.
    Be safe.

Rat Pack # 837

Thread Information