Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How dull/dinged up can you stand your edge to be?

How dull/dinged up can you stand your edge to be?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Lately I've been catching myself sharpening my knives over the littlebest bit of dulling or edge deformation. Basically if I can hold it under a flash light and see even the tiniest little glint of light I feel the urge to sharpen it to get the edge "perfect".

Anyone ever do this? How far from perfect do you let your knife get?

If it's not shaving sharp, I sharpen it.

I used to be fine as long as I had a working edge. I have a different mindset now. If it's not shaving, I'm hitting the Norton or the dmt's for a couple super light passes, and the strop to put a little polish on the bite.

I don't even like the idea of my blades not being able to AT LEAST shred paper with ease.

If it can't shave paper/hair and make a feather stick easily, it isn't sharp.

I use it until it gets annoying. Then I sharpen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Same here, I just strop my knives that I use everyday and maintain a fine hair shaving edge. Usually that does the job in normal use.

if it doesn't cleanly slice phnebook paper its time to hit the hone or strop

I usually just do a regular touch up without checking how dull it is. If the blade went into the dirt, took a hard impact, or someone else used it without me watching...then I check out the edge. You have to cut a fair amount of abrasive stuff to make anything above 440A actually dull.

Quote Originally Posted by shunsui View Post
    I use it until it gets annoying. Then I sharpen it.
    Same here.

I used to obsess over my edge, but got over it. Now I've actually dialed back and just use my old Boy Scout carborunum stone and put a decent working edge on my knives. As long as it cuts, I'm happy, even if it has a few ding or dull spots on it. If it gets dull I'll sharpen it, but just to put a corse using edge on it. I don't bother anymore with tree topping shaving edges.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Same here. Pretty anal about my edges. I am addicted to the look on people's faces when something just seems to melt when my blade touches it.
    "Obama is America's first Affirmative Action president."
    Anonymous

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
    Christopher Hitchens

If there is a hitch when slicing phone book paper, then it bothers me.

I dropped my gayle bradley and it hit a sidewalk edge down. I took the visible dings out right away but there was a tiny spot you could only see under magnification or feel on phone book paper (even then only going slow). I tried to leave it until the knife needed regular sharpening since it was only a small spot that didnt affect anything but it still annoyed me. I only lasted about a week before I sharpened the whole blade until the ding was removed and the bevel was even.

Quote Originally Posted by philwar View Post
    Same here. Pretty anal about my edges. I am addicted to the look on people's faces when something just seems to melt when my blade touches it.
    ^Best reason

Seeing flat spots & when it doesn't shave my face clean is when I go back to stones/paper. Otherwise usually stropping will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris "Anagarika" View Post
    ^Best reason

Seeing flat spots & when it doesn't shave my face clean is when I go back to stones/paper. Otherwise usually stropping will do.
    Same here. If I cant shave arm hair without digging my flesh. Or at a minimum slice receipt or phone book paper. It has to hit the stones.

I'm not too anal about the sharpness, as long as it's still a good working edge it's good to go, but if there are dings and chips in the edge, that's where it starts to bother me, because it takes a while to get those out...

But there is something really nice about a good toilet paper slicing edge, straight off the edge pro...

Heh, oh I forgot to mention the shaving thing...

Even if it shaves hair but I had to press like, AT ALL, I get irritated and feel the need to sharpen it. Then what usually happens is I shave off all my arm hair in the process! lol

I usually try to wait until it won't cut typing paper, then sharpen it. I don't try to take out all the dings anymore. Even on my large choppers, that just eats up the blade. I say I try to wait. I usually don't make it.

I sharpen a new knife as soon as I get.If I use it at all,I have to touch up the edge.

I sharpen my knives razorsharp, so far. Unteil the knife is still cutting pattern in an easy way, it´s still ok. But when it rips through the paper it gets sharpened to the razorsharp edge. This with every knife I own.
    You can call me Pappa Andi!
    Nun war dieser brave Lehrer, Von dem Tobak ein Verehrer, Was man ohne alle Frage, Nach des Tages Müh und Plage, Einem guten, alten Mann, Auch von Herzen gönnen kann.
    (Wilhelm Busch, german author, 1832 - 1908)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information