Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knife Names??

ADVERTISEMENT
    i had these 2- 15 inch bowies one time i used to throw (still throw, dont have these particular ones anymore) and one was named "Bad Motherf*cker" and the other, "Wig Splitter". Put wooden handles on em with the name burnt in (like "bad" on one handle and "motherf*cker on the other side). "Bad" facing out, if you were right hand carrying in a sheath on your waist, of course. "splitter" faced out on the other. lotta people'd laugh when they'd see what the other side said.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Fungus View Post
    i had these 2- 15 inch bowies one time i used to throw (still throw, dont have these particular ones anymore) and one was named "Bad Motherf*cker" and the other, "Wig Splitter". Put wooden handles on em with the name burnt in (like "bad" on one handle and "motherf*cker on the other side). "Bad" facing out, if you were right hand carrying in a sheath on your waist, of course. "splitter" faced out on the other. lotta people'd laugh when they'd see what the other side said.
    Haha... If I were you I would focus on the Forum Name you use before giving advice on Knife names.
    - Just messing with you of course, POOP FUNGUS!
    "A true friend sends you a knife big enough to kill bears....And enough good beer to give you the courage to do so!" - Mike Davis
    *** I have a BF Sub Forum: Enter my 2014 GAW CLICK HERE ***
    Ryan Weeks - Ryan W. Knives
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    CKCA Member

I just name the Fxxx for folders, Bxxx for fixed, and Kxxx for kitchen patterns. Of course, at this point, most of my knives are merely patterns, so the patterns are named.

Also, I want to focus on traditional slipjoints and most of them have already been named.

The only actual knife I've named has been the church knife I've been working on. I call it the Padre. I scaled it down and am working on a neck knife version called the Parishioner.

Like I said, I like numbers.

Most of mine have functional/descriptive names like textured bushcrafter, hollow forged scramasax, or ameriscanto (american tanto blade with scandi handle).
    Seeing all my knives are one-offs to date, there's not much point in using model numbers.

I name mine exotic things like.....slip joint,fixed blade,or liner lock

Stan
    www.sbuzekknives.com
    Aspire to Inspire before you Expire

I can remember reading about a guy at a knife show excitedly picking up a knife from a makers stand and saying that it was just what he had been looking for. He asked the maker what it was called to which the maker told him it was his Moose model.The guys smile turned into a frown as he replaced the knife on the table and said what a same that was as he wanted one for hunting Deer !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
    Haha... If I were you I would focus on the Forum Name you use before giving advice on Knife names.
    - Just messing with you of course, POOP FUNGUS!
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...riously-(rant) name your knife "Poop Fungus" and you'll at least get 5000 people to look at it in less than a week

I agree completely, I always feel that i need to name them, or at least "should" name them something. However since every one i have made is different i can never think of good names and model numbers dont really work. They basically get a working name such as "the one that i screwed up the plunge on", "the one where the hamon didnt turn out" etc. Not sure how i will ever name any. may just have to spin in a circle and call it whatever i see when i open y eyes. I can see it now, the couch skinner, the drop point furnace, leafblower bowie, just some random things in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop Fungus View Post
    http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...riously-(rant) name your knife "Poop Fungus" and you'll at least get 5000 people to look at it in less than a week
    Note the user-title our short-lived moldy n00b now sports.
    Ask JT (updated 4/10/14)

Beckerhead # 350

THK subforum ... www.terrioknives.com

Be sure to like and follow THK on Facebook

Guess that is not too much of a Surprise! haha
    "A true friend sends you a knife big enough to kill bears....And enough good beer to give you the courage to do so!" - Mike Davis
    *** I have a BF Sub Forum: Enter my 2014 GAW CLICK HERE ***
    Ryan Weeks - Ryan W. Knives
    ABS Apprentice Smith
    CKCA Member

Nope, Page called it right quick. Sorry the thread got derailed, it is a valid question.
    Ask JT (updated 4/10/14)

Beckerhead # 350

Back on topic, one of the problems is, a lot of the really good knife names are already taken by big companies. Trailmaster, Campanion, Master Hunter, Woodsman, etc.

The only designs of mine I really have names for other than the SideKick are my combat/survival type blades. Since I call the sub-group as a whole the BlackToothGrin line 'cause it sounds mean and tacticool, the individual knives have monikers like Growl, Snarl, Fang, Smirk etc. Kinda dumb but it helps me keep them straight in my head, at least.
    Ask JT (updated 4/10/14)

Beckerhead # 350

If I design a knife with input from a customer, I like to name the knife after them in a way...like use their initials etc.
    Ozark Tradition Knifeworks-------Rugged by Nature

I think names are important because it's easier for people to associate a knife with a name than a number. The Kawasaki "Ninja" has a much more recognizable name than the Kawasaki "sport-bike model 2" or a more arcane "SB2750" (wait, did I want the SB2650 or the km493q?). Even "original flavor" is easier to associate with a particular product than "flavor #1." It is obviously possible to get too carried away or colorful, but like any other product you have to know your audience — a customer wanting a hunting knife for his father's retirement may not want to buy something called the "superfuntimeninjakillermobileXXXL" — but this is also an issue with the design of your knives themselves. This isn't to say that I think all knives need to have a fancy name — for some, "drop point hunter" will do. Unless most of what you make are different types of drop point hunters and you start giving them a complicated cataloguing system (wait, did I want the drop point hunter kmxpz54p or the drop point hunter kmxpz54e?). Some knives turn out in such a way that you need to give them a more proper name.

- Chris

I try to name the ones that are different..I recently did a Left handed folder that I called "The Stranger" The client and I thought it was hilarious...some folks just didn't get it.
    The absolute best at naming his work is Snody, you always say damn why didn't I think of that, Boss covers it all.
    The next would be Jeremy Horton....Camp Blood, Shawty, Plan A
    WWW.JBSKNIVES.COM
    Blade Show table 19 D

Quote Originally Posted by JBS TOOLMAKER View Post
    I try to name the ones that are different..I recently did a Left handed folder that I called "The Stranger" The client and I thought it was hilarious...some folks just didn't get it.
    The absolute best at naming his work is Snody, you always say damn why didn't I think of that, Boss covers it all.
    The next would be Jeremy Horton....Camp Blood, Shawty, Plan A
    The Stranger was very classy, Jason!! I thought it was very clever.

Some guys definitely have a knack for it. Unfortunately, I do not. And being a relatively new maker, my patterns are constantly evolving anyway. Like OTK, I like to name them after a customer if they have design input on a new pattern.

I generally name my knives; especially if it is a model that I make frequently.

Naming them simplifies things overall. Instead of clients asking for "That pointy knife with the handle.", they can simply give me the model name and save some guesswork.

Sometimes I name a knife after the person I made it for. Like the Stanbo. another time, my aunt died and I called the knife I was making the Margie.

I find the names sound stupid to the guy who thinks them up, the rest of us come to accept them as okay.

I named mine Eternal, as in Eternally getting used (3.5 in edc)

Just make sure you include the words tactical and extreme in any name you choose and you can't go wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information