Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How come the Street Beat gets no love?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Nice knife, and a really nice Concealex sheath

I tried the Street Beat in the Passaround, and I loved it. It fits my hand perfectly and I love the way it "points" when I hold it. It's on my short list of knives that I really "need", not merely "want". Frankly, the only reason I haven't bought one yet is the price. It is rather high for what you're getting. VG-10 is a great steel (in fact, it's my favorite steel), but it's not like S110V or M390 or ELMAX. I think some of the cost has to do with the handles. Micarta isn't cheap, but it's not that expensive either. However, compare the micarta on the SB to those on a Becker or ESEE. On the SB, the handles are smooth, rounded, and contoured. No sharp corners, edges, or hotspots. The whole knife is that way. It's not a sharpened slab of steel with some handles slapped on. It's a highly refined tool that's a joy to hold and use.

If only it were just a bit longer...
    -Aaron

Personally, I'm a big fan of all Fred Perrin's designs and love the Street Beat. It is really a more specialized knife than the more utilitarian ESEE knives which probably contributes to their more limited fan base.

Quote Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
    If only it were just a bit longer...
    If you are willing to do some searching you could try finding an OOP Spyderco Fred Perrin Bowie. Same design as the Street Beat but with a five inch blade instead of the three and a half inch Street Beat.
    Last edited by mdauben; 09-28-2012 at 07:10 AM.

It's about $100 too much for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
    If you are willing to do some searching you could try finding an OOP Spyderco Fred Perrin Bowie. Same design as the Street Beat but with a five inch blade instead of the three and a half inch Street Beat.
    They're reintroducing it in the hopefully not-too-distant future. But 5" and the longer handle make it too big for what I'd want it for (IWB concealed carry). Same handle with a 4-4
    -Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
    They're reintroducing it in the hopefully not-too-distant future. But 5" and the longer handle make it too big for what I'd want it for (IWB concealed carry). Same handle with a 4-4
    Personally I can't wait for this one to come out again. I've been lusting for years after it. Especially the green and black one.

Quote Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
    Personally, I'm a big fan of all Fred Perrin's designs and love the Street Beat. It is really a more specialized knife than the more utilitarian ESEE knives which probably contributes to their more limited fan base.
    Agreed,
    its definitely a specialized design made for a specific purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by jasperjb View Post
    You're the hero BF needs, but doesn't deserve.
    They're quite similar, except the Street Beat is more of a bowie.
    And the Street Beat costs about three times as much, and they are made of different steels, and the Street Beat's blade is about 3/4 of an inch longer as is its overall length, and the Street Beat has a completely different handle design.

But besides that, they are quite similar.

(Actually, they do have the same blade thickness.)

Why are all the best makers bad businessmen? Like TuffThumbz. He's been banned here but his mods are great!

I know its OT, but there is a big difference between bad businessmen and corrupt businessmen. Bad ones just lose money...the corrupt ones steal money (and get banned).

Sorry, I don't have an izula. I can post pics of my Street beat though if you'd like. I can put it next to a military, salt, zt350, etc.
    I would like to see it next to the 350 please.

Price, availability and use; quality is great, but quality at a lower price always wins for me. Also, I've always seen these in very small numbers at most of the dealers I frequent. A lot of the time it's "We can order it for you".

Quote Originally Posted by jkwithawave View Post
    I would like to see it next to the 350 please.

That's a delica, 350 and a wave.

I've got one coming in the mail tomorrow!

I've always loved the design, just needed a better steel at that price to justify the purchase.

I have the Street Beat and Izula and while I like them both they feel very different in hand. The SB is balanced to be very quick in the hand and is really optimized for fighting/self defense. You could wear it around your neck but the thick handle wouldnmake concealment that way tough, it's better on the belt. The Izula is definitely more general purpose.

I wouldn't say the SB doesn't get love, people who post about it generally rave (I found out about it here on the forums), but it is more of a niche knife and while I think the great fit and finish justifies the price it is pricier than the Izula, though I doubt you need to pay anything like full retail to get it.

I like my sheath too, very secure so far anyway.

Blog Entries
    I'd like to see the Street Beat made in the US with 154CM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevDevil View Post
    I'd like to see the Street Beat made in the US with 154CM.
    I'd like to see it made in Windsor.
    I could get a better job, and a discount on Spydercos.
    Buy my book! Amazon: Kindle: Barnes and Noble:

I have no dinosaur in this orgy.

The SB is great for a duty knife. One of the K9 deputies has his slide in his external ballistic vest.

Price is my problem. Like it but would rather spend the money on something else

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information