Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your first car/vehicle and when?

ADVERTISEMENT
    1965 Plymouth Valiant V200, just got it like two weeks ago and she needs work....I kind of destroyed the wheel bearing today on the passenger side....I feel retarded.

1989 Chevy C1500 when I was 14 in 2004, mowed a lot of yards to pay for it, still have it and I will never sell it.

0820092030a.jpg

Full size brown Chevy station wagon. Reliable but nothing special.

Fav cars I've owned are either the Porsche 944S (handled great, but needed more hp), or the Dodge Daytona like the one the OP posted. Like him mine blew an engine right away, replaced it and drove it for years. Loved that car. Sometimes I found myself passing 4wd vehicles in snowy weather, and beating sports cars stoplight to stoplight.

75' Chevy Wagon with fake wood sides (decals) and 175,000 miles. It did awesome donuts in the snow! I put a mattress in the back and used it for car camping.

1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 289 with C4 trans, factory power brakes, power steering and aircon. My grandmother bought new in 65. I got it in 93 IIRC. Loved that car and got to drive it for a year before money problems forced my parents to sell it.

Red

A 1936 Nash Lafayette. I grew up on a farm surrounded by gravel and dirt roads. First on-road car was a '62 Falcon beater. First real car was a '67 Mustang fastback. Then a '70 Mach 1, '72 ChargerSE, ....

Current toy:

Last edited by Codger_64; 10-01-2012 at 05:15 PM.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

As the great Andrew Martin once said "One is glad to be of service".

1967 Chevy Belaire with a 255 in line six and 2 speed powerglide transmission. Very reliable, no power.... Great car!

I got my license in July of 1976.... my dad decided that my first vehicle purchase would be a 1967 F-100 Ford long bed pickup with a 300 c.i. inline 6 six cylinder. I drove the wheels off that truck a during high school and my first year at college and it was still going strong... for that truck to survive me, it really was built Ford tough!

Hmmm, a 1966 Chevy pick up in about 1974, short wide bed, 3-speed on the column, big straight six engine. had a parking brake under the dash that looked like something off a tractor, the thermostat choke on it was rusty and falling off, so I bought a manual choke kit and installed that. (did that on a couple of more vehicles since; can you even get those kits?) Ran like champ after that. I bought some sheet metal from Warshawski's in chicago to replace rusty sills and replaced the rotten wooden bed with 3/4" plywood sealed with asphalt roof sealer. The engine was already worn out when I got it. I woulf go to K-Mart and buy a cart full of oil at $0.35 a quart to keep it going. I ran it dry more than once, the pistons hammering like the devil. Finally I sold it for $150 in maybe 1979. I put some long miles on that girl.

1970 Dodge Dart Swinger. Got it in '79 from my Mom when she was finished with it...

1974 Mercury Capri.

Got it in '76.
    It wasn't fast buy boyhowdy could it turn.
    Rack and pinion (non-power) steering.
    Air shocks and the fattest T/A Radials I could fit on it.
    Had to stomp on the gas to turn the steering wheel when parallel parking.

1964 VW Beetle that I bought for $100 in 1975. Great little car that taught me to drive stick on the way home from buying it.

Ok just don't make a fun of me ok
    Skoda 120 and it wasn't that long ago only like 11ya

Mine was a 1989 Honda Accord LXi Sedan that I got when I was 18 in 2003.

At that time, I wasn't so happy to have that car, but as I've grown older, I realize it was a great car.

I had someone hit my car and dent the hood.
    That dent apparently barely touched the radiator and one night, waaaaaay out on some dirt road, a large chunk of the radiator blew off.
    I ultimately ruined the engine that night.

Lesson learned: Do not think that just because your engine temp guage is reading nil, that it's actually accurate. (There was no coolant touching the sensor...)

1989 Toyota corolla, I currently drive it (I'm 17).

1970 Volvo 164 sedan. Silver rust bucket with a lot of duct tape. Had to spray carb cleaner into the air intake in the morning to get her going, but if she started in the morning, she would run the rest of the day. There was something broken in the front end so if you hit a bump with the steering wheel turned, it would bottom out and rip the wheel out of your hands.

Caught fire and burned up one day after school. When the tow truck lifted her front end up, the whole car broke in half like a V. Maybe it was not safe to be driving!

To this day though, it had the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned.

The Powernoodle legend was born when I got a new Volkswagen Rabbit in 1978.

(1981).....1976 Pontiac Astre (Vega, with chrome lug nuts) Drove it for two years before the unibody rusted through. I learned how to drive a stick, and do rudimentary bodywork including pop riveting sheets of metal over the "open air" floor boards.

1956 Pontiac Chieftain 4-door hardtop, same paint as this:

Bought it from my Uncle Homer for $100 in 1973. He lived in Arizona for 15 years and returned to Illinois in 1972, so it wasn't rusted. I took my mother and grandmother for a test drive, killed a bluejay — still feel bad about that — got it on the highway doing 65 and discovered it didn't have brakes. He forgot to tell me the brake cylinder leaked: he hadn't driven it in months and it just slipped his mind. So I drove to town on the parking brake, topped off the cylinder and drove 400 miles back to Chicago.
    The past isn't dead. It isn't even past.

My 1st car was a '68 Pontiac GTO. It was mostly original except for the rims. It had a factory installed Hurst shifter and I think a 400CI engine. My father bought it for me as an early HS graduation present in the Summer of 1976.

It was an 8 year old car with 75K miles on it. Not bad by today's standards, but for a late 1960's muscle car, ( abused it's entire life ), it needed TLC and didn't get it from me. The car was fast but always breaking down. Once it left me stranded in the middle of nowhere on my way down to the Jersey shore.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information