Thread: Purchasing first Strider!

Purchasing first Strider!

ADVERTISEMENT
    I have been researching on striders and have come to the conclusion I want a SNG. Next was the colors and blade. I love coyote brown but I have some knives in it already so I might try ranger green. I think I might go with a satin blade because I heard they are smoother. I am not sure on that though and would love clarification. If not I would like to go with digicam. My question is what steel? I like s30v, most of my knives sport it and its great. How is CPM-154? What areas is it better in if any? I have no expierence with this steel. If you guys want to post any pics of your striders, that would be awesome too

The SNG is a great knife. First thing I would say is that if you are able to buy at a store and handle it before do that. As mine required some tweaking. I will say I have the black lego and its great but most of all my other knives are also black, wish i would have got the green. As far as blade finish and steel type. I bought the ghost striped, not my first choice but thats what the store had in stock. Let me say that I take very good care of my knives and my blade developed some rust spots on the bead blast. It was not a big deal but made me scratch my head, also inside the thumb oval. Its all fixable nothing to worry about. The steel is fine by my standards, i use the s30v. I just swipe it on the ceramic rod a few times and its golden. It is smoother too. As far as the actual knife, its a bad ass blade. Just get whatever makes you happy I guess.

I just bought a ranger green double gunnner grip SnG with 3/4 ground cpm-154 and love it but had to send it in because of some vertical play. CPM-154 is one of my favorite steels, it has the perfect mix of toughness and edge holding capabilities. You're gunna love yours. S30v is a great steel too, either way you'll be happy.

Yull love your Strider.
    Don't worry about which steel. Strider's HT is perfect.

Get a ranger green cc 3/4 grind black oxide blade.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348927449.984789.jpg

As for which steel to get:::According to Duane "if you were to use all three knives together, you would find no difference".
    Last edited by pvicenzi; 09-29-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    I know nuh-thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
    Yull love your Strider.
    Don't worry about which steel. Strider's HT is perfect.
    Strider's HT is just near perfect, only Busse and Fehrman has perfect HT

I just got a gunner grip in CPM154 and I can't tell the difference between it and s30v. What I do prefer is the Gunner Grip with a stone washed flat ground blade. I've been carrying it sans clip and it just disappears in your pocket. Here's a couple pics of my two SNG's:

I just purchased my first Strider today. I was able to handle both the ghost stripe and the stone washed models. The ghost stripe comes in S30V and the stone washed one comes in CPM 154. I dont have much experience with this steel, I have used 154CM before though and was happy with it. The stone washed blade did feel much smoother so that is the one that I chose. The tip was not very sharp so I sharpened it on an Edge Pro Apex, it seemed to take longer to sharpen then 154CM. It also took much longer to get a nice smooth cut with a leather strop than I am used to with 154CM. Hopefully it holds its edge for much longer. I use a StropMan strop with black and green compound. Does anyone have any experience with stropping CPM 154 to include diamond spray and smooth leather strops. Thanks.

Really trying to find an SNG CC all stonewashed. No flamed. Help
    !! New gen.

I bought the sand stone washed ranger green one! Pics up later

Thread Information