Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: c1974 Ibberson sowbelly made by the skilled hands of Stan Shaw

ADVERTISEMENT
    Jake, I would love to send more photos, but alas I no longer own this knife. I sold it for a price much higher than Charlie paid for his pair. I do own a few other Stan Shaw's, but they are not sowbellys.

Charles

That's a lovely looking Ibberson 'sowbelly' stockman's Jake, the small crack in the ivory doesn't really detract too much..it's a wonderful all original knife. It looks to have carbon blades, most of the ones I've seen, I've owned quite a few, made in the mid 70s have had stainless ones..I think ?..(they were shiny anyway).

It's worth remembering the Ibberson knives that carry Stan's initials were assembled and made by him using parts mainly supplied by other workers at the firm. Stan's own knives that carry his own mark 'Stan Shaw' are made entirely by him.

Fairly recently I remember seeing the parts, liners, springs, blades, scales etc for three eleven piece ones on his work bench, prior assembly..a LOT of stuff..everything was individually marked each part made to fit exactly..Stan's a very skilled fellow.

Mick

Mick, does eleven piece mean eleven blades??
    If so that's a lot more than eleven pieces per knife!!
    Shall we have a 2014 Bladeforums knife?

Perchance in Stag??

Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post
    Mick, does eleven piece mean eleven blades??
    If so that's a lot more than eleven pieces per knife!!
    Hi Charlie, yep..eleven blades, eleven back springs, twelve liners etc X 3. Wish I'd taken a pic..

Mick

We would love to see any pictures you have taken of Mr. Shaw at work or his workshop, Mick. Thanks in advance.

6. Thank you, guys. Charlie, I think that's the route I'll take. Charles I'd enjoy seeing what ever patterns you'd like to share with us... here or in another topic... or by email. Whichever you prefer. Wellington, thank you for the info. He's certainly a talented fellow.

That's what I thought, Mick!!
    I lost count!
    That's like trying to make sure your spaghetti is in the correct order!
    OMG, as my daughter says!
    Shall we have a 2014 Bladeforums knife?

Perchance in Stag??

I sold the two I had to Cindy Taylor. At one time, she and Jim were dealing in Stan Shaw knives quite a bit. I suppose it's possible she might still have some, but she's been liquidating her knife inventory for some time.

I wish I had made photos of the two I had. It was before I had a scanner or digital camera. Actually, now that I think about it, it was in the very earliest days of Ebay.

Speaking of which, I see knives on Ebay that I think might be Stan Shaw knives, but I never ask the seller to check. I especially think it when the knife is an Ibberson, although that is not the only company for which Stan Shaw made knives.

Next time I suspect there's one on the bay. I'll give you a heads-up.
    Charlie Noyes
    De Oppresso Liber

Nice to see Mick in here!, with a few others-this is a very rich Thread...on a topic that just could NOT get more Traditional.... Im going to have a re-read...thank you guys for the excellent information
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

OK, Jake. Here is one that I posted in my lobster thread. File worked inside and out marked SS-76. Charles

DSC02847.jpgDSC02848.jpgDSC02849.jpgDSC02850.jpgDSC02851.jpg

Beautiful knives. Here's a link to some videos of Stan Shaw at work.

http://www.mylearning.org/results.as...%2Fsubjects%2F
    Rust Never Sleeps s-k

Quote Originally Posted by chuko View Post
    OK, Jake. Here is one that I posted in my lobster thread. File worked inside and out marked SS-76. Charles

DSC02847.jpgDSC02848.jpgDSC02849.jpgDSC02850.jpgDSC02851.jpg
    That's a super looking example Charles, the Prince George pattern (4470) is one of my favourites. I think the knife design originated back in the 1930s with Ted Osbourne making the original version for the future King George VI. I think George Bush was given one in silver a few years ago.

Here's a pic of a 4470 in parts on Stan's bench, prior to assembly..he makes the lobster springs from spring steel, his Ibberson ones were made with cold rolled steel.

Thanks for the My Learning video link S-K..well worth watching.

Mick
    Last edited by wellington; 10-02-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo

13. Charles, Nice lobster! S-K and Wellington, Those videos and photos are great! It would be fun to watch him at work.

Here is another Stan Shaw lobster, this one is less embellished and earlier. Liner is marked SS-57. Thanks Mick for the appropriate name for the Prince George pattern. Charles

DSC02846.jpgDSC02845.jpg

15. 57?! I hadn't previously seen examples of his factory knives prior to the 70s. Very cool!

That's a nice 2121 Charles, a 'bread and butter' Ibberson pattern. Always made by one of the best cutlers, the ones I've seen have been made between C1930s-1980. Then the ones that Stan makes under his own name C1981-.

I have a few, including a large 7" centre piece made by Stan a year or so ago. I can show a pic or two if it's OK ?.

Mick

It will make a magnificent user and an interesting rarity too.

It certainly looks like ivory from what I can see, I strongly advise you try and keep it in a humid atmosphere (cigar humidor even ) as this will keep down the shrink tendency that this material can have. I suspect the crack is due to it being dropped, all to easy with smooth handled knives.

Very interesting acquisition, thanks for showing it. Will

Nice thread. Thanks for all who posted pics. Congrats Jake.

19. Mick, Your photos will be appreciated.

Thank you, guys!

Thanks Jake,

Here are pictures of the large 2121, it is exactly the same as the smaller regular version in having a main pocket blade, full length scissors, pen blade, picker and nail file..the whole thing is heavily fileworked inside and out..the pearl slabs are very thick, some of the best I've seen.

This is the knife in part made form laid out on Stan's bench..

Mick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information