Thread: Knife show success

Knife show success

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was able to look at some lovely GEC knives today at the Easton Knife show. The GEC table had a nice selection of their current production runs. The person I was speaking with, Chris I believe, was very helpful and friendly. My eye was caught by the Ben Hogan lock-back in Brazilian jigged cherry. Chris told me they just finished those and she was able to grab a few before leaving on Friday. She told me she was able to get a few low numbers and that she had number 2 available. How could I say no? I didn't!

Here is open.

I was also impressed with the Outlaw Gunstock Jack in burnt stag, so I got that too!

I'm quite happy with the haul. I had a couple of items I was planning on trying to trade/sell, so I may head back tomorrow and swing by again to see if anything else needs a new home. I mean, it's only polite so Chris doesn't have to hassle with carrying everything back across the state.

Lovely knives! Great stag on that Outlaw
    -Tom

Looking for Easy Open Jacks of all variety...

Congrats on two great knives!

I don't remember seeing many Ben Hogan's on here, I'm very curious about its pocketability at 4 1/4" as it seems like a nice slim pattern. Reminds me a little of the Case Copperlock.

Cyo,

I'm so glad you found knives you like. Thanks for the pictures! I especially like the Outlaw.

When I was at GEC a couple months back, Chris Tucker was very helpful not only in helping me choose a pattern, but the covers within that pattern-- she opened a lot of tubes for me! So, I'm not surprised you had a good experience at the GEC table.

I'd hoped to get there today, but schedules and priorities ruled it out (some days, it's a real bummer being a grown up). I hadn't realized the show continued tomorrow. Hmmmmm.

~ P.

I like the look of that cherry wood!

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan View Post
    I don't remember seeing many Ben Hogan's on here, I'm very curious about its pocketability at 4 1/4" as it seems like a nice slim pattern. Reminds me a little of the Case Copperlock.
    Mine is 4.5" which is a bit large for me, but I prefer smaller knives in my pocket. So as not to take away from Cyo's thread, I will direct you here for a thread I posted showing it as the patina has developed.

Very nice knives - congrats!

That's some beautiful (and nicely matched) stag on the #76; one of the nicest examples I've seen.

How's the lockup on the Ben Hogan? Any up/down or lateral play? Don't get me wrong, I love GEC's lockbacks--I have half-a-dozen #72s--but they're not exactly what I'd call "bank vaults" in the lockup department.

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan View Post
    I don't remember seeing many Ben Hogan's on here, I'm very curious about its pocketability at 4 1/4" as it seems like a nice slim pattern.
    My Ben Hogan is a Northfield, and it's 4 9/16" closed. I sat down while watching a couple of ball games and stitched (just with needle and thread) a section about 1 1/2" wide down the outside edge of my back pockets next to where I just carry a handkerchief and comb. I don't even know it's there. It's a tough knife to try and carry loose in either the front or back pocket because it wants to go horizontal almost immediately. Upright is the key.

Glad to see they made that pattern into a lockback, now I'll get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Very nice knives - congrats!

That's some beautiful (and nicely matched) stag on the #76; one of the nicest examples I've seen.

How's the lockup on the Ben Hogan? Any up/down or lateral play? Don't get me wrong, I love GEC's lockbacks--I have half-a-dozen #72s--but they're not exactly what I'd call "bank vaults" in the lockup department.
    Lock-up is tight. No up and down or lateral play at all. I'm quite pleased with it.

That's good news - thanks!

Both nice I really like the looks of the OLJ!

The Ben Hogan pattern is on my short list. I carry that size grandad barlows in my front pockets daily. No problems here.

Those are some nice knives.

Does anyone know if they'll come out with the 65 lockback in a different handle material? i.e. I'd kill for an Ebony NF w/ spear blade

ETA: found the production for anyone who's interested. Nice.

#65LB – Benjamin L. Hogan – Clip blade, cap end, lockback

Tidioute – smooth bolster
    Jigged bone – color to be determined
    Ebony Wood
    Jigged Brazilian Cherry Wood
    Acrylic – color to be determined

Northfield – Lined bolster
    Jigged bone – color to be determined
    Calico bone
    Cocobolo Wood
    Burnt Stag
    Natural Stag
    Genuine Stag
    Pheasant Feathers Acrylic
    Last edited by Sonnemann; 10-01-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    Great looking lockback, Another one I need to get!

Nice score on some beautiful knives - congrats.
    Al Dodge

Merry Christmas all you fellow knife nuts.

NOTE: Anyone that does a deal with me and wants feed back left please ask, folks I deal with here are great.

Good choices, Cyo!
    A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

Those are two very nice looking knives! I especially like the stag on that gunstock. Extremely dramatic.

Kevin

Thread Information