Thread: Question for Sal in regards to the Byrd line and other Chinese knives...

Question for Sal in regards to the Byrd line and other Chinese knives...

ADVERTISEMENT
    I replied not to long ago to a post about the Resilience made in different steel, but more specifically I replied not to long ago to a post about the Resilience made in different steel, but more specifically the Byrd Crow being made in something other than 8Cr13MoV. Since this knife is made in China, could it be made using 9Cr18Mo, and would that steel hold an edge longer?

How do the various Chinese steels compare to US steels? Iím not asking to start a one country versus another discussion, I just am familiar with the US steels but donít know how they compare to Chinese steels using your heat treat.

Are there any other steels available to your supplier of the Byrd or Resilience, Tenacious, etc. line? Thanks.

Q

Sal answered that question in that very thread I believe, saying that the makers of the value line were learning to work with CTC BD1. But I am wandering, why would they change their formula unless it would not affect cost? You are talking about the ''value lines'' or ''entry level'' if you will. For the price range, 8Cr13MoV is providing very good performance. With the heat treat on my Caracara2, 8Cr13MoV blows away 420HC for edge retention while doing a little wood work in my experience, but 420HC is a good kitchen steel IMO and I like it as such. A couple of passes on my Lansky 4 Rod Gourmet Knife Sharpener and 8Cr13MoV is back to shaving sharp like under a minute. For a real Spyderco using a liner lock(presuming that is what your looking for) and near the size of the bird crow, check out the Spyderco Cat and the Spyderco Sage 1

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...ck-G10-Handles

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/SP1...-Fiber-Handles

Man I want that sage 1 in my collection I think...so many of their models in fact!
    Last edited by mael333ca; 10-02-2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: error

Sal, any plan to use a chinese tool steel similar to D2 on the Byrd line? China makes tons of drill bits, jackhammer bits so tool steel is readily available in China.
    Rather that special-purpose super-steel, tool-steel would be a great addition to the byrd line while keeping prices down.

Sal, According to this table, the chinese equivalent of D2 tool steel is Cr12Mo1V1, air-cooled with an HRC of 60-65.
    FOB price is between $1.50 and $2.80 a kilo.

So an average 3" blade weighing 60 grams and made of chinese D2 steel would contain between 9 and 17 cents worth of D2 steel material. Granted it's more expensive to shape, sharpen and otherwise process but...
    ... if there was such thing as a Tenacious or a Meadowlark in D2 for $40 on the shelf tomorrow, how could anyone possibly keep up with orders?

Maybe a prototype is in order. I volunteer to test it.

The Byrd knives are really good knives in their own right IMHO. I'd love to see them offered with a premium blade steel of a sort. It wouldn't have to be a US Super Steel by any stretch just something with a tad bit more wear resistance than 8Cr13Mov. It's good stuff anyhow, but I think a sprint run would stimulate interest in the Byrd line.

I volunteer to test Resilience in the Chinese tool steel.

Hi Mael,

Chinese knifemakers are not as comfortable making blades with odd steels. Not sure why. We've tried to encourage more steels in their arsenal, but the attitude of Chinese makers is not the same as other countries with regards to other steels.

sal

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Glesser View Post
    Hi Mael,

Chinese knifemakers are not as comfortable making blades with odd steels. Not sure why. We've tried to encourage more steels in their arsenal, but the attitude of Chinese makers is not the same as other countries with regards to other steels.

sal
    Could they be interested on a very limited run, to get a feel for it, as opposed to going all-out?

I'll find out next month while we're there.

sal

I don't know...I just got a byrd cara cara SS and I am impressed for $25.00. That said, I wouldn't want to pay anymore, so unless the price would stay the same I don't see the feasibility to upgrade a value line knife. The Tenacious line is another story though.

Hi Mael,

sal
    Hello Sal,

I am actually most pleased with the performance of 8Cr13MoV at the price point myself. The G10 Caracara2 was my first sample of your products, I then ordered the Superleaf and the Manix 2 XL...so yeah...I was left impressed!

I've seen your post about a possible Superblue Endura sprint run...I am saving up for that!!! I have quickly become a spydie fan for the supersteels, strong construct and all that for an affordable price! Good job sir!!!

Regards,

Emmanuel

Hi Mael,

sal
    The factories you use are doing a good job with 8Cr13MoV. Why fix what's not broke? Save the fancier stuff for the fancier brand.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a 9Cr18 byrd or Spyderco...

8Cr13MoV Spydies are certainly very good. I would like to see what could be done with that Cr12Mo1V1 mentioned above, though...

Thread Information