Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic: Coolest Tactical Rifle Ever!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaytaylor View Post
    My grail.....

The one in the middle.

The 91 or STG???
    "Busse, knives you swear by, not at" - Flatlander - Jan 2006

"Let's roll"

America, love it, or get out.

"No regrets" - thathamguy

L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux

Right-Trough Conspiracy Planning Committee Steward

Quote Originally Posted by fbusmc View Post
    Like the piston systems. POF Recon and DSA FNFAL can't ask for any better.
    Agree on the piston.

But that katana! Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it might be old/authentic?

Quote Originally Posted by beprepared View Post
    i don't like fals... They are just too bloody long for me. I prefer bullpups overall, but somehow an ar pattern 308 just doesn't seem as long to me

i know this is not actually true, but shooting them side by side, the fal always seemed a mile long.
    ......osw ??

They don't really do the rifle I would like for a combat rifle .... a bull pup design using the piston set up from an L1A1 ... bring down the OAL but keep the legendary reliability.

Don't need full auto ... if a double tap does'nt hit ... you've missed your chance ... all told that's probably why I like a combat shotgun more than a combat rifle ... better chance of "hits" at combat ranges ... but if I had to use one an L1A1 Bullpup would be nice.

Los Angeles, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
    It's run flawlessly for the first 25 years of its life. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Semper Fi

-Bill

Audaces fortuna iuvat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by retrocon View Post
    The only thing i don't really like about it is that they stay with the AR direct gas system, which is one of the weak points IMHO, in the AR design. Why they didn't go with a gas piston, i don't know. But then, i'm sure plenty of traditionalist will argue that direct gas is still the best.
    It isn't the best, or everyone would use it, since it is lighter.
    The gun is also needlessly tall/bulky on the forend and receiver, Trying really hard to look like a SCAR, but just making an overly thick empty space on both ends. That is poor design.

#420 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPHWS View Post
    They don't really do the rifle I would like for a combat rifle .... a bull pup design using the piston set up from an L1A1 ... bring down the OAL but keep the legendary reliability.

Don't need full auto ... if a double tap does'nt hit ... you've missed your chance ... all told that's probably why I like a combat shotgun more than a combat rifle ... better chance of "hits" at combat ranges ... but if I had to use one an L1A1 Bullpup would be nice.
    .... I have handled but not shot two Bullpup'ed SLRs that were done as projects out here. Nice concept but I would just prefer an L1A1 with an 18inch snout and F1 flash supressor.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaytaylor View Post
    My grail.....

The one in the middle.

that's a nice piece,and covert as hell but the rechoil seem's to me a little much. i like how the grip is held in place by the strap by the belt loop. but the support system is a little lacking. and i don't think eating the whole can of bean's count's as a gas exchange system. i would like to see one where the mag is a vertical mount to stave of the jam factor.

Quote Originally Posted by mymindisamob View Post
    Nice! This is (and undoubtedly will be forever) my Grail.
    M107

M82A1

either way....

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    It's run flawlessly for the first 25 years of its life. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.
    Not bad but how does reloading go for that thing? I may be wrong but don't most HK 308s have fluted chamberes and make brass pretty much useless after being once fired?

I've reloaded fluted chambered (tried anyway) and full auto brass, what a giant PITA and many stuck shell casings.
    "Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yessir the check is in the mail" - Jack Burton, Big Trouble in Little China
    "Catch me in five minutes, I'll smell like hard liquor" - Al Bundy

Inducted Blade 2010- Ham67

Los Angeles, Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
    Quote Originally Posted by M67 View Post
    Not bad but how does reloading go for that thing? I may be wrong but don't most HK 308s have fluted chamberes and make brass pretty much useless after being once fired?

I've reloaded fluted chambered (tried anyway) and full auto brass, what a giant PITA and many stuck shell casings.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone would ever promote HK as the favored brand of reloaders. Fluted chambers and dinged cases are a couple issues that will be routinely encountered.

At the same time, there are those of us who appreciate the effort HK puts into ensuring that the round always performs as advertised the first time it's loaded.
    Semper Fi

-Bill

Audaces fortuna iuvat

Say, what you want to say, but the AR-10 platform is still the best thing going out there today. There is nothing wrong with DI, never has been and it has lots of advantages over piston. I have personally run AR's without cleaning for thousands of rounds. And Accuracy out of the box is unmatched

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Say, what you want to say, but the AR-10 platform is still the best thing going out there today. There is nothing wrong with DI, never has been and it has lots of advantages over piston. I have personally run AR's without cleaning for thousands of rounds. And Accuracy out of the box is unmatched
    All my ARs are direct impingement, so i'm really there with you, but the trend has been to the piston. Shot a friends POF, and after about 500 rounds, it seemed a lot cleaner than my DI.

But, i guess we wait and see how it proves out in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Izhmash View Post
    Dude...you live in Austin. Support a local business and get a Larue OBR.
    I agree. Not an OBR but a PredatAR. Here is my new baby. Took 6 months to come in I think.

"Be prepared.....It is more than a motto it is a way of life."

Inducted Busse and Kin- Blade 2007

SpyderNation #0019

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Unless you're running a suppressor. DI guns blow gas back in your face, piston guns don't.

Quote Originally Posted by budthachud View Post
    Unless you're running a suppressor. DI guns blow gas back in your face, piston guns don't.
    I never have that problem.

DI has many more advantages than those I list below, but these are just a few:

1. It is inherently more accurate because the barrel can be free floated where the piston gun barrel will always have an additional attachment points.

2. It has a lower mass bolt system than puts no stress on the frame/receiver. Unlike piston guns that have a high mass bolt/piston system that does put a lot of stress on the frame/receiver.

3. Some piston guns can suffer from carrier tilt.

4. The DI gun has gas entering the chamber area through the gas tube, which today is either mid length or rifle length. The advantage of this is that, by the time the gas hits the bolt and receiver it has cooled off tremendously. With the piston system the heat is concentrated at the middle of the barrel. The problem with this is that over time, you are tempering the center of the barrel. Take a look at a piston gun under a thermal camera. you will see what I mean.

5. Piston is a heavier system all around.

Aug... better in every way i can think of than an AR... But hard to fit in a briefcase

AUG or F88AS1 (the current designation out here with all the latest mods) is OK at best. I have been around them since the trails and SARP in the 80s. Politics (and some bribery) was really the only reason we got the bloody things. They came third in the trial (after the Galil and M16A2). Doing it over again we would no doubt have gone with the M16 series rifles. There is a reason that ALL the SF types here us the M4...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information