Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would it work?

Would it work?

ADVERTISEMENT
    This weekend is the youth hunt for New York State. As a quick explanation, youths age 12-15 are allowed to hunt with a shotgun (or rifle depending on location) for the weekend (Oct. 6-8). the actual shotgun season doesn't open until mid November.

I'm going to be taking my 15 year old out to see if he can get his first deer. I would like to pick up a pocket knife to commemorate the occasion and present to him prior to field dressing(thinking positive here that he will be successful).

I would like to get something that is more than just a dedicated 'hunting knife'. Something that he can EDC (eventually) and look back on that day. I was thinking about the 500 line, specifically the 501 or 503. I know that they are smaller, thinner type knives than the veritable 110, but my question to you is: Do you think a 501 or 503 could field dress a deer without too much trouble?

As someone who has yet to field dress a deer, I'm looking for guidance. I prefer the blade shape of the 500 series to the 110 line; I'm not a big fan of the clip point. I know that a lot of people have used a 110 or 112 successfully on deer, and I'm curious if the 500 series could do the job.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and assistance. I appreciate your time to help me out.

John

"Do you think a 501 or 503 could field dress a deer without too much trouble?"

There is no sense in making things more difficult than necessary, especially the first time around. I suggest using something with a little more blade, and, as thousands will tell you, the 110 will get the job done.

110!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bertl View Post
    ... I suggest using something with a little more blade, and, as thousands will tell you, the 110 will get the job done.
    ... and the 112 too.

Haebbie

You could dress the deer with either one but IMHO, both are too small esp the 503. 112 is the best smaller knife. You may try the ecolite 112 for a lighter weight carry when you arent hunting.

Ecolite 112 or 110.

If you want that kind of knife ,try finding him a buck "duke"that is a perfect knife for him,and it will do a deer no problem at all.The duke rides in the pocket fairly decent,and it also comes with a belt sheath.They are a bit hard to find though.

The best deal going is the 0426BKS-B Bucklite on the Buck Knives web site under the web Specials. $18. Free shipping over $50. Thats just 3 knives.

I truly have tried using drop point blades on deer. They just do not work for me. And believe me, I have cleaned many many deer.

The 426 is a light weight 110 type knife that would give years of service. But too late for you to get one by the weekend.

Why do I prefer the clip over the drop point?? The clip is more a skinner. (look at blade shapes of skinning knives) Rarely is a drop point called a skinner.

When I tried the drop points, I ended up slicing into the hide more than being able to sweep down the skin with the clip.

Just my experiences. The 426/110 will also fill up your hand, full grip. Shorter knives get harder to handle (for me) when doing deer.

One of those things you have to experience I guess... Been there done that..

Sorry,,,I got off into dedicated hunting here.

Best suggestion is take him to a good knife store and let him choose.

Hunting and EDC really are two different things.
    Last edited by Pack Rat; 10-01-2012 at 10:16 AM.

If you know exactly how many knives and guns you have, then you don't have enough!

BCCI Life, NRA Life Endowment, TSRA Life Benefactor

Differing experiences... I've noted makers call a drop point a skinner and I do field dressing well using this style. Really enjoying it. A youth in the age you mention would do fine using a 500 Duke. Around age 30 he'll develop his own taste in knives. I hope your present to walk him thru the procedure. DM

Duke or 112.

I wouldn't give a plastic knife as a gift, even though some may be light weight. Just doesn't seem right.

Don't forget finger grooves if you decide on the 112. They add a bit to the looks of the knife.

As usual, BG has a great point.

I own all 3: the 500, 112 and Ecolite. Very hard to choose among them. The Ecolite is not as pretty but it is the most functional.

For a memory, the 112 or 500. I would lean towards the 112.

I've had no issues skinning a deer with a 501. Which makes a great EDC. The 503 is definitely to small.
    However I do prefer using a fixed blade drop point or guthook for skinning.

I don't see how a skinning knife comes into this equation. OP was concerned with field dressing.

The smaller knife you carry with you should be a knife you will use for gutting out the deer, not skinning it.

Skinning should be done with a different and more appropriately shaped knife......a 103, for example.

Thank you for all the replies so far.

It sounds like a 110 or 112 would be the way to go. I was interested in the 500 series as they seem to be more 'pocket friendly', and could be carried as an everyday reminder of his first deer. On that note, how about the 55? Is the 1/2 inch difference between the 55's blade and the 112's that crucial for field dressing?

Quote Originally Posted by BG42EDGE View Post
    I don't see how a skinning knife comes into this equation. OP was concerned with field dressing.

The smaller knife you carry with you should be a knife you will use for gutting out the deer, not skinning it.

Skinning should be done with a different and more appropriately shaped knife......a 103, for example.
    Exactly. This knife will be used for field dressing only. We will not be skinning or processing the deer; I don't have a setup to fully process the deer, so it will go to a butcher.

I wouldn't worry about the EDC possibilities. Trying to predict your son's EDC tastes are like trying to predict his tastes in shoes. It's just so highly personal.

The 110 is a fantastic hunting knife, albeit a bit heavy for backpacking.

The 112 is on the short end of being capable while being more possible to pocket carry for EDC use, provided you can live with some heft (not everybody can).

Both are great things to have in the hunting kits and possibly camping kits as treasured reminders of time together.

Knives in the 501 or 55 size range are much, much, much smaller in hand than the 1/4" difference in length suggests. IMO, they are pocket knives, not hunting knives (and yes, some people will dress deer with pocket knives).

The knife I most wish I got from my dad would have been my 110 or my 112. They aren't the best to EDC (the 112 is possible, I do it all the time). But they're knives to be treasured.

My suggestion... Surprise him with a 110 or a 112 as a gift, sight unseen by him. Then go with him to pick out a pocket knife to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by street soldier View Post

On that note, how about the 55?.
    The 55 is the same size as the 503, it just has a clip point blade.....to small for anything but cleaning your finger nails after the field dressing is done! IMHO

jb4570

I don't carry two knives (as most guys), one for field dressing and another for skinning and quartering. I carry one knife that will do it all as I'm likely to be a mile from the truck and 3 miles from camp. So, I carry a compromise for this work, leaning toward a skinner. Other areas during a deer hunt run different. If you'll be a short drag out from the truck carry more gear. Here we have to know how to do it all as the processor is many hours away and we most likey won't arrive there until after he's closed. DM
    Last edited by David Martin; 10-02-2012 at 07:44 PM.

All but a spoiled 15yr old would be happy with any knife. Being the father, the one to train him the way you think, get him what you think is best.
    At 15, he ought to have an EDC by now, the 501 does that perfectly. The 500 or 532 would be my next option, but you won't likely get one of those by this wknd. While the bucklites are very practical I tend to agree with the previous poster, his first knife from you ought to be a good one.

Just a thought, a lesser expensive knife such as the Bucklite may be the answer until you see how well he takes care of it or see if he loses it.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

Quote Originally Posted by st8yd View Post
    All but a spoiled 15yr old would be happy with any knife. Being the father, the one to train him the way you think, get him what you think is best.
    At 15, he ought to have an EDC by now, the 501 does that perfectly. The 500 or 532 would be my next option, but you won't likely get one of those by this wknd. While the bucklites are very practical I tend to agree with the previous poster, his first knife from you ought to be a good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumberdv View Post
    Just a thought, a lesser expensive knife such as the Bucklite may be the answer until you see how well he takes care of it or see if he loses it.
    Oh, he's already a knife knut like me.. He has a 303 cadet, 673 Bucklite small hunting knife, a Hartsook, and one or two others. I believe in setting a good example by exposing my kids to cutlery and teaching them young the proper technique for usage. Didn't stop him or his younger brother from cutting towards themselves (like I told them NOT to) when I stepped away for a minute, but the scars and pain are good teachers. They won't be making the same mistake again.

I want something to commemorate his first big game hunting experience, and a Buck folder seems the way to go.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information