Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GEC #72 with wharncliffe blade?

GEC #72 with wharncliffe blade?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was just online looking at some Case mini trappers with the wharncliffe style blade. I have always liked that blade design. It seems really simple to sharpen and keep that way. I always thought that it would be a great work knife. So while I was looking at the Case knives I started to wonder if GEC made anything like that. So I searched and found pictures of the #72 with a wharncliffe blade and ebony handle! What a sweet looking knife. Perfect size and a wharncliffe blade. Now I have to find one for sale. Were these a limited run? Anybody with pictures they would like to share?

I've been looking with no luck either. Seems like it was a very limited run.

They crop up in the Exchange once in a while (I sold one about a month ago.) They are quite nice.

That is a great looking knife. I think your sale post is the one I saw that grabbed my attention. I am having a heck of a time finding one. They are great looking, functional knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnemann View Post
    They crop up in the Exchange once in a while (I sold one about a month ago.) They are quite nice.

Double tap

So if these prove impossible to find what is another brand that has a knife of comparable size with a Wharncliffe blade?

Edit: How about Bear & Sons India stag bone Wharncliffe lock back? How's their quality? I have heard of them but don't have any experience with their products.
    Last edited by Kalsu; 10-01-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Knowing how GEC tends to operate, I'm hoping they do another run of 72's with a wharncliffe...I knew I shoulda bought that red handled one when I had the chance.

Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed is right. Here's to hopeing....

Quote Originally Posted by zippofan View Post
    Knowing how GEC tends to operate, I'm hoping they do another run of 72's with a wharncliffe...I knew I shoulda bought that red handled one when I had the chance.

Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalsu View Post
    So if these prove impossible to find what is another brand that has a knife of comparable size with a Wharncliffe blade?

Edit: How about Bear & Sons India stag bone Wharncliffe lock back? How's their quality? I have heard of them but don't have any experience with their products.
    GEC vs. Bear and Sons?
    Not an apple to apple comparison.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-Sons-Whittler
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kalsu View Post

Don't know about that one. But the AG Russell regular curved jack is about the same size. Not a lockback though.

Yeah I knew they weren't equal in terms of quality. I just ran across the Bear & Sons and thought I would ask about them so CE I don't have any experience with them. Thanks for the link though.
    I will admit I didn't search the forums before asking.

Quote Originally Posted by knarfeng View Post
    GEC vs. Bear and Sons?
    Not an apple to apple comparison.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-Sons-Whittler

It's not single bladed, and no lock, but the 2012 Forum knife has a wharncliffe blade on what looks close to a 72 frame:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...fe-Description

And the progress report showing the knife under construction:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-BF-2012-knife!

Might just be the thing to tide you over until you can source a single bladed 72.

Just a thought.

John

I have one of those on order. That's going to be one heck of a knife. I can hardly wait.
    In the mean time I found one of these Case mini trapper ranchers with single wharncliffe blade. Pretty nice looking knife with burnt stag handles. I am still looking for the GEC but I think the Case will be a pretty nice addition to my growing collection.

Quote Originally Posted by street soldier View Post
    It's not single bladed, and no lock, but the 2012 Forum knife has a wharncliffe blade on what looks close to a 72 frame:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...fe-Description

And the progress report showing the knife under construction:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...-BF-2012-knife!

Might just be the thing to tide you over until you can source a single bladed 72.

Just a thought.

John

I've got Sonnemann's, and even though I own more and a dozen GEC's, it's one of my favorites. [IMG][/IMG]

Sure like to see a wharnie in the Trader or Trapper size, though honestly I only use the tip on these blades most of the time. [IMG][/IMG]

...like to have more homegrown radishes too...[IMG][/IMG]

What a beauty Roseskunk! Cool Pics too!

Yes, those pictures are a great study in contrast and arrangement. Glad you're enjoying it.

Ah, you guys are killing me, darn it darn it darn it

As for B&S, I have a couple. A single blade OHO liner lock, OK but the handles are ugly as sin. A budget line medium/small stockman with stag jigged Delrin scales that was $20 which I quite like, and one of their Remington BSA Scout knife repros, another OK. It's disappointing that Bear's FnF isn't higher, but I can't answer for their more expensive models.

Like Frank said, I'm comparing apples to oranges with my Case and GEC's. I really do like the stockman but I hand picked it too.

Roseskunk those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing them. That is exactly what i am looking for. It is proving to be quite the task.

I think that I am going to hold off on the B&S knives. I found a GEC #53 with the smooth black buffalo horn scales. Might hold me over until I can find the #72 I am looking for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information