Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: recommended $200-$500 knife

recommended $200-$500 knife

ADVERTISEMENT
    so, my dad has been looking for a high end knife and since my brother and i are the resident steel addicts he has asked us to recommend him one. i was thinking the ZT 0560 or the Chris reeve large sabenza with micarta inlay. what do you guys think and what are your suggestions?

Everyone should own a Sebenza at least once in their life!
    "Knife Enthusiast"

Im guessing he wants a pocket knife giving you said CRK. I would second the Sebenza.

Get him an Umnumzaan... My fav EDC and has been for years now...
    Last edited by The_Guide; 10-01-2012 at 08:29 PM.

The Sebenza's an ok knife. But in that price range there are a handful of makers you could call and have one built from the ground up for him.

Dude... get a Benchmade Adamas... get a couple and tell me how they are. That is the next knife on my list

Skip all the wasted time and money spent on cheaper models that ultimately lead the to sebenza. Just start with the sebenza and make it easy.

I think the 560 is a good choice. Mine just keeps growing on me more and more. I pre ordered 6 months before they came out. It is a major player in my rotation. The bearing are getting smoother and smoother. We should really get some more info from you. What kind of cutting task will your dad be using it for? What legnth/ shape blade does he prefer? You also cant go wrong with a custom.

Quote Originally Posted by nufdes View Post
    my dad only will be using it for light use, nothing too serious. my dad is into the droppoint/ clippoint blades. what are some of the makers i could contact?
    Just go browse the Knifemakers section of the exchange.
    Last edited by whateatsrabbits; 10-01-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Agreed, Sebenza is a must own.

my dad only will be using it for light use, nothing too serious. my dad is into the droppoint/ clippoint blades. what are some of the makers i could contact?

That's a big range.....lots of great knives fit in there! If he is just using it for light duty, how about a quality slip joint? There are some great makers right here that could build you whatever you wanted.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    -Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by nufdes View Post
    Laconcio is one (Ray). He sells on here, and his knives are just fantastically clean looking. He should be solidly in that price range.

Another possibility is a custom slip joint. Jared Oesser makes them on here, and his slip joints are fantastic. He is early in his career, but you would not know that by looking at what he makes, (his prices, however are fantastic for what you get. It can't stay that way for long though).

I would browse the custom maker for sale sub forum on here before making any decision.

I have had the opportunity to carry and use both Hinderer and Sebenza. Both were great. The Hinderer is more appealing if you can get one at original price, instead of secondary (much higher).

For light duty, the redesigned mnandi would be a nice choice as well if you are into CRK.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    -Sigmund Freud

I can't suggest a CRK Sebenza to you enough. Seriously, their good enough that I can't say anything besides buy one.

Gareth Bull. Be different, get better.

One of these two:

The Sebenza is a little classier to use at the steakhouse he'll take you to for such a great recommendation.

I can't say this enough. With those price ranges just get a custom. Something no one else has, a one of a kind for deer old dad.

One comes to mind at that $ range John W. Smith JWS.
    Precision tactical fit & finish that is super tight
    Get ready, it's a JUNGLE out there!

Sebenza or Umnumzaan are great.

Todd Davison on the forum here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information