Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese made Buck knives

Chinese made Buck knives

Support BladeForums!
    Paid memberships don't see ads!
    Are the Chinese made Buck knives only for sale outside the U.S.A. and Canada ?.

Does Buck still have an American factory ?.

Are the knives sold outside the U.S.A. and Canada of lower quality ?.

Just wondering about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrogator View Post
    Are the Chinese made Buck knives only for sale outside the U.S.A. and Canada ?.

Does Buck still have an American factory ?.

Are the knives sold outside the U.S.A. and Canada of lower quality ?.

Just wondering about this.

I don't know where you aquired the knife in the photo, but I've never seen that sticker before.

No, there are several Buck models made in China that are very commonly sold here in the USA including the Canoe in your photo.

Buck's factory that produces the vast majority of their knives is located in Post Falls, Idaho.

Every Buck knife that I have that was made in China (I have quite a few of them) are of excellent quality. Buck demands that their products produced abroad meet the same standards as their domestic products and they all carry the same "lifetime" warranty.

What Plumberdv said. I'll add that the sticker might be for tarrif or tax purposes, kind of like buying duty free stuff.
    BCCI Lifetime Member # 2068
    U.S. Navy 1978-86

One quality nit....

My understanding is that a) Buck still uses 420J2 on many of its Chinese made slip joints, including the Canoe, b) Buck doesn't use 420J2 on any US made knives and c) most folks regard 420J2 as inferior to 420HC.

Buck just began to use 420J2 on some of them, the 3xx series, the Nobleman, Colleague and Scholer (same knives, different finish), and the Silver Creek Filet knives. All the rest still use 420HC, the Bones, Flashpoints, Red Points, Revel, Parallex and the Silver Creek Versa and Bait knife.

If you count up the number of models, it's a pretty even split between 420J2 and 420HC.

FWIW I tend to look at Buck's 420J2 in the same light as their 420HC, both are a cut above the same steel when used by other makers. Guess it's the heat treat or something but IMHO just about everything Buck does with their steels seems to work pretty darn well.
    BCCI Lifetime Member # 2068
    U.S. Navy 1978-86

I see tons of fake China made Buck knives on ebay.

US Customs says that things must be labeled where they are from http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard. I know I have seen Chinese knives from Boker sold in Europe that were not stamped with China. This is probably the same thing. I bet that knife does not have "China" stamped on it.

ETA: Is that your knife or did you find the pic somewhere? If its yours, are you located outside of the US or Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by bwperdue View Post
    US Customs says that things must be labeled where they are from http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard. I know I have seen Chinese knives from Boker sold in Europe that were not stamped with China. This is probably the same thing. I bet that knife does not have "China" stamped on it.

ETA: Is that your knife or did you find the pic somewhere? If its yours, are you located outside of the US or Canada?
    It is my knife.

The secondary blade is stamped "China".

The knife was purchased outside the U.S.A..

I have two pocket knives I bought in the USA and I have carried a 303 for years and the last two are stamped on the sheep foot blade CHINA. The last one instead of 303 has the number 373 stamped on the long blade. I have carried Buck knives in Vietnam 1967 and every since.
    Just to shed some light on this thread.

Plumber Dave back from the past and knife heaven for another visit. Keeps him in our thoughts.

Overseas made 300s. You know the only overseas made 303 I have seen not stamped China was the very first one made , it was stamped 303 on the front tang. That one would be a good one for a 3XX collector to watch for. Every other one has a high 300 number and is stamped from country of origin. A few other models you will find marked Taiwan. Anyone who really collects these offshores jump in here as I only have four and limited knowledge. 300
    Last edited by 300Bucks; 08-30-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Why not start a NEW topic about this? As it has been dead for one month short of 4 years. DM

Nice sentiments Craig, I miss ole Plum. What a spectacular accumulation he used to show.

I'm an over the road truck driver. My loacation changes by the minute.
    The 37x and 38x are made in China, sold in the USA.

Waiting for my China Buck to return from Idaho.

I don't see what the big deal is in bringing up an old thread like this,he must of did a search and found the topic.im sure ol dave wouldn't mind his name coming up In old threads,I had some great heart to heart talks with the ol man as I called him,and he certainly had a huge collection he loved to share.Is there something wrong with bringing up an old thread?what makes the difference?

Everyone relax. What David is saying is that, as moderator, I have preached not dragging up or supporting someone who is new to forums activity and brings forth a multi-page, multi-years old thread and we, the active Buck forum users , commenting on it after traveling to the many page end. Yes, I do discourage that and David is correct in that I did not conform to my own past statements. I will try to not type without thinking thru posts and do better about being consistent in forum functions. I just got caught up in a 300 discussion and in another PlumberD comment thread. My bad.

Razor, Posting a many page, multi-year old thread and then just asking a question might be quicker served by a new to the Buck forum person just posting a thread with their question and linking the research postings. But, I have accepted this is going to occur and will do my best to save comment to the really long and old ones when someone is just looking for a price on their knife.

Many current Buck forum users would benefit if we could get former 'commentors' to come back and discuss and show their great photos of their collections. Maybe, they just aren't into the newer model Buck offerings.
    Last edited by 300Bucks; 09-04-2016 at 09:51 PM.

Still waiting on Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by deltaboy View Post
    Still waiting on Buck.
    I hope they didn't send it back to China to be fixed. Bad joke I hope you get it back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 300Bucks View Post
    Plumber Dave back from the past and knife heaven for another visit. Keeps him in our thoughts.

Overseas made 300s. You know the only overseas made 303 I have seen not stamped China was the very first one made , it was stamped 303 on the front tang. That one would be a good one for a 3XX collector to watch for. Every other one has a high 300 number and is stamped from country of origin. A few other models you will find marked Taiwan. Anyone who really collects these offshores jump in here as I only have four and limited knowledge. 300
    This is one I picked up years ago, on a business trip to China. Stamped 303 and China.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information