Thread: Chinese made Buck knives

Chinese made Buck knives

ADVERTISEMENT
    Are the Chinese made Buck knives only for sale outside the U.S.A. and Canada ?.

Does Buck still have an American factory ?.

Are the knives sold outside the U.S.A. and Canada of lower quality ?.

Just wondering about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrogator View Post
    Are the Chinese made Buck knives only for sale outside the U.S.A. and Canada ?.

Does Buck still have an American factory ?.

Are the knives sold outside the U.S.A. and Canada of lower quality ?.

Just wondering about this.

I don't know where you aquired the knife in the photo, but I've never seen that sticker before.

No, there are several Buck models made in China that are very commonly sold here in the USA including the Canoe in your photo.

Buck's factory that produces the vast majority of their knives is located in Post Falls, Idaho.

Every Buck knife that I have that was made in China (I have quite a few of them) are of excellent quality. Buck demands that their products produced abroad meet the same standards as their domestic products and they all carry the same "lifetime" warranty.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

What Plumberdv said. I'll add that the sticker might be for tarrif or tax purposes, kind of like buying duty free stuff.
    BCCI Lifetime Member # 2068
    U.S. Navy 1978-86

One quality nit....

My understanding is that a) Buck still uses 420J2 on many of its Chinese made slip joints, including the Canoe, b) Buck doesn't use 420J2 on any US made knives and c) most folks regard 420J2 as inferior to 420HC.

Buck just began to use 420J2 on some of them, the 3xx series, the Nobleman, Colleague and Scholer (same knives, different finish), and the Silver Creek Filet knives. All the rest still use 420HC, the Bones, Flashpoints, Red Points, Revel, Parallex and the Silver Creek Versa and Bait knife.

If you count up the number of models, it's a pretty even split between 420J2 and 420HC.
    BCCI Life member #1706

"Due to the recent increase in the price of ammo, if you try to break in, DO NOT expect a warning shot."

FWIW I tend to look at Buck's 420J2 in the same light as their 420HC, both are a cut above the same steel when used by other makers. Guess it's the heat treat or something but IMHO just about everything Buck does with their steels seems to work pretty darn well.
    BCCI Lifetime Member # 2068
    U.S. Navy 1978-86

I see tons of fake China made Buck knives on ebay.

US Customs says that things must be labeled where they are from http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard. I know I have seen Chinese knives from Boker sold in Europe that were not stamped with China. This is probably the same thing. I bet that knife does not have "China" stamped on it.

ETA: Is that your knife or did you find the pic somewhere? If its yours, are you located outside of the US or Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by bwperdue View Post
    US Customs says that things must be labeled where they are from http://business.ftc.gov/documents/bu...e-usa-standard. I know I have seen Chinese knives from Boker sold in Europe that were not stamped with China. This is probably the same thing. I bet that knife does not have "China" stamped on it.

ETA: Is that your knife or did you find the pic somewhere? If its yours, are you located outside of the US or Canada?
    It is my knife.

The secondary blade is stamped "China".

The knife was purchased outside the U.S.A..

Thread Information