Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slip Joints at work

Slip Joints at work

ADVERTISEMENT
    We have had a few threads recently about slip joints in the work place. I guess the thread title should have been "doing stuff" or "knives and chores"

I, as a rule, have two pockets full of slip joints (typically at least 2 when in a suit, and 4-5 when in jeans, 2 of which are in slip sheaths to keep them from knocking each-other around. When I am off work, in jeans, I put one in the coin pocket too!).

One problem, is if I take an "at work" picture it is simply my messy desk, or computer, or what not. Indoors, and not very entertaining.

I don't typically snap pics when out doing "stuff" but happened to have a moment while up on the ladder (my helper was going to grab something or other to hand up).

I had to fix a leaky roof gutter before the weather turns. Here are two I had in my pockets.

From dinner the other night. Pork loin marinated in spicy sweet mandarin sauce then BBQ'ed for about 4 hours over low indirect coals

Mighty fine lookin' stag there!!!

T, I know you like to use your knives, but I didn't know you cooked them up for dinner too!

Mason Dixon line off I-83 Tusker User Group #13
    Nice Hudson Bay camp knife. I can vouch for the Queen Dan Burke daddy barlow, that knife is big but not unobtrusive to carry, at least not for me anyway. Really SM.

I have pretty much all but set aside any one hand openers. All of my knife work goes to three knives. My Beavertail 73 single blade, my Gossman micro Kephart and my Case peanut. Unfortunately the only knife I can carry AT work is my Case peanut.

That pork is looking really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman1911 View Post
    Mighty fine lookin' stag there!!!
    That one is bone. It is brown "worm groove" bone.

It is a lovely knife, and one of my favorite!

Quote Originally Posted by thawk View Post
    That pork is looking really good.
    Oh, it was delicious. I have another marinating now, for tomorrow. It gets great, sweet bark, and nice smoke ring!

Add a big plate of sticky rice, and you have a delicious dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by silenthunterstudios View Post
    Nice Hudson Bay camp knife. I can vouch for the Queen Dan Burke daddy barlow, that knife is big but not unobtrusive to carry, at least not for me anyway. Really SM.

I have pretty much all but set aside any one hand openers. All of my knife work goes to three knives. My Beavertail 73 single blade, my Gossman micro Kephart and my Case peanut. Unfortunately the only knife I can carry AT work is my Case peanut.
    The Hudson Bay is a lot of knife for the money. They already addressed the one issue I had with mine (making it without the coating). I immediately stripped mine and gave it a patina. It gets used in my kitchen all the time (though it is a bit meaty behind the edge). I have thinned the edge a bit, but really, it could use even more thinning for kitchen work.

Just like the Burke/Queen Barlow. Pretty obtuse edge, which I took to the grinder. It is sharp now, but still ground thicker than my other traditionals. I have a two blade #73 that is my most carried.

Quote Originally Posted by richstag View Post
    T, I know you like to use your knives, but I didn't know you cooked them up for dinner too!
    Nothing like hot meat and warm steel!
    Last edited by Bigfattyt; 10-03-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Well dang, now you guys are making me hungry. Nice pics T. I need to take some work pics with mine. My hands are usually filthy so I tend to leave the phone in the pocket most of the time.

I dont think you want pics of my knife at work doing plumbing!!

Cool pics, thanks for sharing them with us.
    I have a couple "knives at work" shots I can post too, here ya go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    formerly known as alex_111
    (August 2000 - September 2004)

Always looking for Italian stilettos. Send me a PM if you've got one that needs a new home!

Oh man. That pork loin looks good! I demand that someone on the interwebz invent smell-o-forums. But then, that might have some severe consequences.

I use them every day....... FES

My Tinker cutting foam for a jet engine exhaust cover:

And my Sodbuster Jr. about to cut some gaskets for our fuel flow meter:

My son's thermostat stuck open on his car. Had to scrape the old gasket material off. **warning: semi-abusive behavior to follow**. I really don't think it's abuse persay, as no damage was done, but some of the collector/nonusers among us might cringe. I didn't really have a choice, as I was short on tools and in a dark parking lot at 10 pm. But that's what knives are to me; problem solvers.

That, by the way, is my favorite knife. Its a S&M Heritage jack, gifted to me by way of "trade" from one of our awesome members here that wishes to remain anonymous. By the way, if you're reading this, I still need to get the other half of the trade sharpened and to you.

I reground the blade because the blade edge was a lot to thick for my tastes, but now it's perfect and hasn't left my pocket!

Some great pics!

My real problem with taking pics is also that I tend not to take the pics when out in the boonies. I either don't want to drop my camera in the water/sand/mud etc.

I do get some fun camping regularly, because I am a Scout leader.But don't tend to get pics of the knifes as much.

Here is what I did tonight. The Sunfish made a couple of fuzz sticks to get a couple logs burning for this Pork loin (same recipe as above, but I was in a hurry, and seared it over direct heat, to shorten the cooking time because the wife had some where to be tonight).

Last edited by Bigfattyt; 10-04-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by medicevans View Post
    some of the collector/nonusers among us might cringe. I didn't really have a choice, as I was short on tools and in a dark parking lot at 10 pm. But that's what knives are to me; problem solvers.
    Yep, me too. It's a tool in your pocket, ready for whatever comes.

Quote Originally Posted by medicevans View Post
    My son's thermostat stuck open on his car. Had to scrape the old gasket material off. **warning: semi-abusive behavior to follow**. I really don't think it's abuse per se, as no damage was done, but some of the collector/nonusers among us might cringe. I didn't really have a choice, as I was short on tools and in a dark parking lot at 10 pm. But that's what knives are to me; problem solvers.
    Sounds like normal usage for a knife to me.
    Frank R

... Still looking for a vorpal blade.
    (op cit Lewis Carroll)

List of BF Dealer Members

It does for me too, but i figured some people may think differently. I grew up around farmers and they used their knives for everything.
    Last edited by medicevans; 10-05-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Down in the stock room.

I love the small slippies!

yesterday before lunch
    Please visit my website:
    http://www.menefeeknives.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information