Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just saw Bullit for the first time.

Just saw Bullit for the first time.

ADVERTISEMENT
    What a flick! Taht has to be one of the best films I've seen. Steve Mcqueen definitly was the King of Cool!

great film I agree, McQueen was DUHMAN
    May your hands always be busy, may your feet always be swift.

Did you see the charger lose like seven or eight hubcaps in the chase? Oh... and the car sound was added encamera. Count the shifts. It isn't a 390 Ford engine. McQueen confirmed that the sweet racket of the car's engine and transmission were overdubbed recordings of a Ford GT40 driven at full tilt.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

As the great Andrew Martin once said "One is glad to be of service".

^^Still a pretty good chase though...

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    ^^Still a pretty good chase though...
    Oh yes, a true classic. And few special effects used. Just some balls-out driving. McQueen didn't do all of the Bullit car driving, but quite a bit. The reverse burnout he did wasn't planned. He took a wrong turn, but they left it in because it was cool.

Just for fun, see how many times you see the same green VW and white Tempest studio cars.
    "A knife in a mans hand is as precious as a diamond necklace on a womans neck" Felix Mirando

One of the classics. Try also The French Connection and The Seven Ups.

Redone with a new Mustang and a new Charger. Meh. Nice try. Same green VW though.

I cant recall if it was a biography of McQueen or just an article I read years ago, but they said that they had put together three of each car; the Charger and the Mustang; all set up like stock-cars with dual shocks per wheel and all...
    And that all 6 cars were toast after the scene was finished.

Same thing with the Dukes Of Hazzard.... I understand they used up about three cars per episode. They were scouting for those things all over the country.

I'm old enough that I got to see this on the big screen in 1968!

One of my all-time favorites!

I also got to see it on the big screen. That was back when, if a movie was really good, it was an event that was talked about for months.

A 'Real' Film!

Read they had a crate of Koni shocks and went through them all

I saw Bullit in the theater in 1968. I had a 1965 and 1/2 Ford Mustang 2 Plus 2 Fastback Metallic Green at the time. The Fastback came out late in 65 and was called a 65 1/2 because not many were made. Needless to say I loved the movie and yes Steve Mcqueen was the King Of Cool!

RKH

My wife got me a die cast model of both cars a couple of Christmas' ago.....One of my all time favorites.

The Mustang enthusiast sites state that there were two of each car prepped. At the end of filming, the two Chargers were crushed and one of the Mustangs was crushed, the one with the roll cage. The one we saw McQueen driving was bought back by the dealer and changed hands twice more. It has supposedly been located, unrestored, in the hands of the third owner and verified by the VIN paperwork from the dealer, the studio and from the current owner who intends to remain anonymous in name and location. Or so the latest legends go.

I heard McQueen tried to buy the Mustang, unsuccessfully, of course.

I saw it when it came out in 1968. Aside from the chase scene what stuck out in my mind was the straightforward, realistic depiction of police "manner", like when McQueen cooly reacts to the news that the hitman is in the hospital to finish off his target. Also that it was the first movie to use the profanity that coincidentally (?) sounds like Bullitt, when McQueen tells Vaughn off towards the end. One of my top favorites. I have it in Blu Ray now.

Quote Originally Posted by Street Samurai1978 View Post
    I heard McQueen tried to buy the Mustang, unsuccessfully, of course.
    That is the legend, he tried to buy it in 1977. Of course we know he died a short while later (1980) and his car collection was auctioned off.

Great movie, I do need to add that to my blu ray collection one of these days.

"The Great Escape" was a good movie with McQueen as well. The same stunt driver used in Bullit did McQueen's motorcycle jumps in that movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information