Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belated 1K giveaway.....

Belated 1K giveaway.....

ADVERTISEMENT
    Ive been meaning to do this for a while now to give something back to this great forum we all participate in..I wasnt sure which knife id put up until i read (Cuts like a Kris,s) thread last night..I too like the (NO SAFE QUEEN!) policy,so with that my one and only unused folder will be the prize...It is a lovely knife in every description...A kershaw Wild Turkey in KAI damascus..cocobolo scales that look like ebony and the smoothest action ive ever felt.....Its one of the few knives i never felt the urge to sharpen or strop as it came SHARP!!...Has box and paperwork........

The Rules..
    1.. must have 20 posts in traditionals
    2.Id like to see a pic of whatever holds the most sentimental value to you along with a traditional knife of course (a few words as to why it is of sentimental value would be great!)....

Will let this run for a couple of weeks,then draw the winner randomly............FES

Now folks...I was lucky enough to handle this knife -before Fes got his horrible mitts on it.........man-o-man...never...and I do mean NEVER have I felt such a beautifully smooth knife - the Walk and Talk is just superb! this is a fantastic Folder!
    Nice Give-away Fes. ..I will kick in here later with a shot or two!
    Gary Watson 16 Nov 1956 - 21 Dec 2009. Missed Incredibly.

psssssst, want a beautiful Barlow? I know just the guy who can help ya out
    Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

I've got to put my name in the hat for this one. I always wanted one, but never ran across one for sale. It reminds me a lot of the Al Mar Hawk/Falcon series.

Ed J

I'll get a picture or two in here later, but this will be my entry.

That's a beautiful knife, and I will certainly enter, but please clarify: you want a picture of what is dearest and a picture of a traditional knife? Or a picture of our dearest traditional knife? And you did say "what", not "whom", so not spouses or paramours, right?

Quote Originally Posted by scrteened porch View Post
    That's a beautiful knife, and I will certainly enter, but please clarify: you want a picture of what is dearest and a picture of a traditional knife? Or a picture of our dearest traditional knife? And you did say "what", not "whom", so not spouses or paramours, right?
    I apologise for being unclear....id like to see a pic of your most sentimental (OBJECT) with a traditional knife....not spouses ,cats ,dogs etc........FES ps..if a traditional knife is your most sentimental object,that will be fine.

I will have to dig a pic up. Probably a 3 way tie as to sentimental value.

I inherited my maternal Grandfather's S&W .357, and my paternal Grandfather's barlow, and I bought a custom knife made by my Uncle Glen Hornby as a kid with my lawn mowing money. He died when I was younger.

Grandpa's barlow:

Quote Originally Posted by festerfromnzed View Post
    I apologise for being unclear....id like to see a pic of your most sentimental (OBJECT) with a traditional knife....not spouses ,cats ,dogs etc........FES ps..if a traditional knife is your most sentimental object,that will be fine.
    Got it! Thanks. Hmm.

Bigfattyt, mate...those are pretty special mementoes, to have your Grandads Barlow would be so awesome, and your Uncles knife is just fantastic!...is it a nicely Hollow Ground blade?...it looks as though it is with the lighting...also can I ask what the engraving is? and to boot you have your Grandads gun-just Wow!

Wanted: Charlies SFO'S I would like to collect these, please contact me - thanks very much. Do you have any HJ's? Duncan.

9. Happy 1000, FES! Thank you for the photos and information that you share with us here... the comradery too... and for your generous giveaway.

These are some of my grandfather's tools. They have sentimental value to me because they belonged to my grandfather, of course, but also because they remind me of the time we spent together. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of the time that I spent working on woodworking projects with my grandfather. I still have some of the toys that he "helped" me build when I was a youngster. Those toys and many of the tools that I inherited are presently in storage but I do have a few that are handy. These are some of the few tools that he brought with him when he immigrated to the United States. The knife is a gift from a friend that I won in a giveaway on Bladeforums. It also means a lot to me and just so happened to be handy for a photo (it was in my pocket )

My grandfather sharpened knives with stones and I suspect that he probably picked up this small grinder at a garage sale much later during his lifetime but I thought it may also be of interest. In the photo, I'm touching up the edges on my Schrade whitter.

Last edited by supratentorial; 10-06-2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammar

Fes,
    congrats for your 1000something posts. This is not an entry, but I really really want to thank you for your contribution to this subforum. Your pictures, your stories, your view about knives, are one of the most enjoyable things around here. And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so.
    So, even though I'm out of this giveaway, I will share a picture here (when I take it ).
    Meanwhile, just want to thank you again.

Fausto

Gday Fes-congrats on a grand of posts. Always enjoy your ramblings.
    looks like a fantastic knife to giveaway.
    These items belonged to both of my Granddads.There are moreWW2 service medals not shown.
    These hold great sentimental value to me . They stir memories of my childhood with these men.
    More recently I researched my paternal granddads war sevice which none of us really knew all that much about. Snippets of info.
    Although I'm not much the wiser I now know that he was evacuated from Dunkirk as part of the Inniskiling Fusiliers.
    He was also involved in Sicily and Italy in some of the fiercest battles .They were among the many thousands of men and women who rose to that challenge and hardship .It is humbling to me to descended from these guys.
    cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Campbellclanman View Post
    Bigfattyt, mate...those are pretty special mementoes, to have your Grandads Barlow would be so awesome, and your Uncles knife is just fantastic!...is it a nicely Hollow Ground blade?...it looks as though it is with the lighting...also can I ask what the engraving is? and to boot you have your Grandads gun-just Wow!
    The knife made by my Uncle, Glen Hornby, is a hollow ground piece. Full tang. Stag handles. The engraving is his makers mark, It is his last name with rams horns bracketing it.

Here is my Dad's (purchased at the same time).

That Ruger is one I hope to inherit from my own father. He has nicer guns, and more expensive, but that is one I have great memories of.

He has a .30-30 from his own father, and an even older one he bought as his own first hunting rifle (his sweet winchester .30-30). I will likely get one, and my older brother will get the other.

Here is another sweet piece. My grandfather's Damascus Double shotgun. My grandfather got this gun for a pair of roller skates when he was a kid! My dad grew up shooting and hunting with this gun. His mother gave it to his cousin, who recently stopped by just to give it back (he said it had bothered him all these years that he had it, and not my father). It is missing a nipple/firing pin/spring? on one barrel.

When the time comes, there will be other treasures, and this will certainly be amongst them!

I'm in! Thank you for giving away such a gorgeous knife.
    Tricky, though. I'm not sentimental about objects. But here is a watch my brother gave me for no good reason, and a trim-trio knife like my whole family carried in the 60s. So sharp, compact, multifunctional, and cheap. I was sentimental enough to buy the one on its card a couple years ago from an antique store that had set up in an old hardware store and was selling the old stock. He charged me the antique 50 cent price, too.

In case the tt isn't traditional enough, here's a poorer picture with my old Western Boy Scout knife added.

WOW!!...some wonderful pics and stories guys..I like how an inanimate object can remind us of special people in our lives.MEAKO, i hear you loud and clear and good on you for your research ,it is truly humbling what those brave men did so we can live the lives we do,LEST WE FORGET!!!....Bigfattyt and Supra ,,im SOOOO! jealous!!........ FES

Yep...absolutely awesome-thank you Bigfattyt for showing us that-your Dads knife looks great as well-let alone the beautuiful piece with it!!

One word: WOW! Whoever wins that knife is sure lucky. I have seldom seen a damascus blade I like. The Kershaw lockbacks have caught my eye long ago. Very very generous of you to give it away.

Unfortunately I am at work, and will be for another week, so I cannot take a picture of my grandfathers golden watch.

Instead my first knife, that was given to me by late grandmother Kristine. It is the top one. A Helle knife made in Norway. Unfortunately I do not knwo what model it is. I remember I got it when I was very young. She took me for long hikes in the woods and mountains for as long as she could. Even at 84 and terminal ill she hiked everyday up "Byfjellene" in Bergen. She was old school, traditional and strict. She taught me many things about life, and nature. She was a great women.

Congratulations on your 1000th post and thanks for the generous giveaway. This is a really good idea for a thread, some really beautiful pictures and stories. I'm afraid I don't have much of a digital camera, but here's a couple of old timers: My Grandfather's gold Smiths of London wristwatch, presented in the 1950's for weaving wire for 25 years (World War 2 service aside). The knife was given to me over 30 years ago by the young lad who made it, an apprentice at William Rodgers of Sheffield. These 'export only' knives were better quality folders than anything we ever saw in Sheffield, made for Schrade with the Wostenholm and IXL marks Rodgers had acquired. The knife must have been one of the last made at Rodgers since they folded soon after, with the company being bought by Richards.

Blog Entries
    I'm in, i've always liked that knife and to have a chance to own it in damascus is too much to pass up...

Here's a story, although I did post it before I think it fits in with this giveaway, btw a belated congrats on the belated 1K.

Awhile back, (in 2006) I had just returned from a 4 week visit with family to Hungary and vacation in some surrounding countries, This was my Grandfathers knife, he used it 30 years ago the last time I saw him(I was 15 then) to cut Kielbasa and smoked/cured meats in the pantry for our afternoon meals along with cutting up bread and onions and peppers to go with the ham.

My cousin found it in the basement and gave it to me as a gift when I went home.

It's gotta be over 60 years old and other than the pitting/character it's as strong as the day he let me use it to cut myself a piece of kielbasa the last day I saw him.

Here's a pick of my Grandfather, Aunts and Uncles back in the day.

I hadn't even thought of that day or the knife in nearly 30 years, her giving me that knife brought a tear to this old Mad Hungarians eye.

It says Gerlach Poland on the tang I'm not even sure what kind of wood it has for handles, anyone ever seen or heard of this brand.

Thanks for the contest/give away, in all honesty I had posted this story in the Traditional Forum a while back but the story and knife bring back very fond memories of a time that was long ago.

BTW the trip was great, great food, great booze. great family.
    "Of the knives I own, the ones I'd buy, are considerably less in number." (Ted)TAE 11-02-12
    RAT Pack #353
    SpyderNation#8

Thank you Fes for such a nice giveaway. I have been thinking since I first viewed this thread. I am having a real hard time narrowing down the MOST sentimental.

Anyhow, this is very generous of you and a very great idea IMO

Hi FES! Thanks for a chance at a great giveaway!
    The only thing that has sentimental value that is on my person daily is my wedding band and a watch that I received from my father-in-law.

Not a traditional by any standard but it's my first nice watch (costing more than $30). I never liked wearing a watch so didn't feel like paying much for it.
    Now that I have this watch from my FIL I enjoy wearing it. I would love to buy a nice antique manual watch in the future.

Here is a pic of it with another piece of item that has sentimental value. My FIRST traditional knife (it was a gift as well! from a BF member)

KG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information