Thread: BK2 blade integrity/quality control question

BK2 blade integrity/quality control question

ADVERTISEMENT
    Hello all, I am pretty new to the hobby and just bought my first blade. After looking around for months I finally decided on the BK2. It finally arrived today and after careful inspection/appreciation of this awesome beast I noticed something odd on the blade, there is what looks like little holes or pockets on the blade. My question is, will this affect the integrity and strength of the blade? It is still a super thick blade but I wanted to know if this is some sort of a factory defect or am I just worrying about nothing?

Thanks for your help!

by , on Flickr

by , on Flickr

edit: got it.

thanks!
    Last edited by Alive!; 10-09-2012 at 09:04 PM.

Worrying about nothing. You can't hurt that thing, if you tried. The only thing that has claimed the life of a BK2 is throwing it at a tree stump. Hardened steel doesn't do well with impact force.

The "pockets" come from impurities in the steel, that the manufacturer buys from. There is a small margin of what's acceptable in every major knife manufacturing facility on the planet.

If it got made, it passed spec.

If you want some more opinions from other folks that have a BK2, come see us in the BKT forum, we'd be glad to have you stop in.

Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

^thanks! def glad to hear that. about the sheath, i've read numerous complaints about the older gen sheaths dulling the blade, can someone tell me if i have the updated, non-dulling kind:

20121009_221819

I'm pretty sure that's the new style sheath.
    RP #434 BH #57
    Proud supporter of JK Handmade Knives #61; TM Hunt; Terrio Handmade Knives #458 in RyanW's 2014 GAW

Alive, that's just a cosmetic thing as Moosez stated. It will not affect strength or performance even a little. Nice choice of knives for your first. Keep things sensible and it should last a few generations in your family.

Good pictures too.

Have you given any thought to what is next? I always tried to fill categories deciding what I needed next and picking my favorite knife from the next category.

You might be surprised at how easy it gets to talk yourself into a new knife.

Joe

The coating on the Becker knives is also tough as nails, and somewhat thick as I've found on my Bk-11. :-) You have a fine knife there, you should not have a worry in the world. Mr.Becker is a good man, and designs great products. I've put my little Bk-11 through quite alot, so I'm sure that the Bk-2
    you have should be nothing short of a sharpened tank! :-) Check out the Becker forum, there's plenty of info and tips.

Most of us in the Becker forum end up stripping the coating off anyways though.
    Beckerhead #149
    HTM/DDR Crew Member

Tax Season Sale! Khukuri, Camp knife, Large and Small Persians, all in the Exchange.

Thanks everyone. Glad its only cosmetic. Took me quite a while to narrow my choice to the bk2 and im glad i did.

Regarding what I have in mind for my next, im thinking of getting the bk14 and attaching it to the back of the esee 5 molle strap that i just ordered. micarta handles are on the way too. man, i gotta slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by Alive! View Post
    Thanks everyone. Glad its only cosmetic. Took me quite a while to narrow my choice to the bk2 and im glad i did.

Regarding what I have in mind for my next, im thinking of getting the bk14 and attaching it to the back of the esee 5 molle strap that i just ordered. micarta handles are on the way too. man, i gotta slow down.
    Easy there killer.

Nobody tell him about the BKT Shorts, he might wind up divorced.

As to whether you sheath will dull, holster that big dude a few times and cut some paper, its really the only way to know.

Either way, don't, I repeat don't look at the BKT Shorts.

Moose
    Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    I always tried to fill categories deciding what I needed next and picking my favorite knife from the next category.

"Well, I have a .19" thick 6-inch blade already, but I sure could use a .22" thick 6-inch blade... Aw hell, I'll buy it anyway!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Mastiff View Post
    With just a little help from Bladeforums

Quote Originally Posted by Moosez45 View Post
    Nobody tell him about the BKT Shorts...Either way, don't, I repeat don't look at the BKT Shorts.

Thread Information