Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garage sale axe find with a surprise (pic heavy)

Garage sale axe find with a surprise (pic heavy)

ADVERTISEMENT
    I was at a garage sale recently and found these gems hiding in a dark corner of the seller's garage:

The double-bit is a 3.2 Pound Mann "KnotKlipper" Western Double-Bit. Except for a chip out of the one side of the bit, the overall head was in excellent condition. I was rather shocked to see how it turned out after restoring it (check out the restoration pics below).

The pulaski is a 3.3 pound Kelly Works True Temper Flint Edge, stamped "C.S.F.S." (Colorado State Forest Service). My guess is that it was made in the 1950s, and was used by the CSFS until more recent times, based on the condition of the handle.

Vintage "Lakeside" Montgomery Wards axe head. I plan to to restore this head at a later date and give it to a friend.

RESTORATION

The CSFS Pulaski cleaned up nicely. I reseated the head on the handle, removed the rust with naval jelly, and oiled the head. I also reprofiled the edge with a belt sander. The steel on this axe is really outstanding, as it took an edge as sharp as my best Mora knives. I also like the natural patina that's formed over most of the head.

The Mann KnotKlipper was the real shocker of the bunch. After several scrub-downs with a brass wire brush and naval jelly, it looks almost like a brand new axe head. The temper lines are also nice and clear.

My only conundrum is whether to keep it the way it is as a historical piece, or re-handle it and use it the way it was intended to be used. Decisions decisions!

Last edited by RockyMtnBushcraft; 10-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Why can't I find garage sales like that?

Those are fine axes. That pulaski came out great. And dang! The Knot Klipper looks fresh from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnBushcraft View Post
    My only conundrum is whether to keep it the way it is as a historical piece, or re-handle it and use it the way it was intended to be used. Decisions decisions!
    Why not do both? That original handle don't look too bad. If you remove it carefully (there's a thread here on BF about how to do that) you can re-hang on the original haft and be good to go.

Wowza! Great job on those--both the find and the restoration work! That Pulaski is a real fine example!

Baryonyx Knife Co. ~Condors, Moras, Deluxe Tramontinas, and More!

"To live at all is miracle enough."
    — Mervyn Peake

That's it. I'm gonna have to start going to garage sales again...

Great finds!

Those are some very nice finds !
    Good work

You really did great finding those. They all cleaned up real nice, especially the Knot Klipper. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Woooweee...that Knot Klipper is sweet!!!

Vintage "Lakeside" Montgomery Wards axe head. I plan to to restore this head at a later date and give it to a friend.
    Lakeside is a Ward's brand? I had the notion they were from Lakeside Forge in Lakeside Michigan on Tamarack Lake.
    Great bunch of axes.

Quote Originally Posted by Square_peg View Post
    Why can't I find garage sales like that?

Those are fine axes. That pulaski came out great. And dang! The Knot Klipper looks fresh from the factory.

Why not do both? That original handle don't look too bad. If you remove it carefully (there's a thread here on BF about how to do that) you can re-hang on the original haft and be good to go.

Square_peg, yes, the handle is probably decent enough to get some life out of if I put a little work into it. This axe balances superbly, and feels really light in the hand. I'm really looking forward to getting her up to speed and start doing some bucking and felling.

Thanks fellow axe nuts! I was pretty ecstatic when I saw the metal starting to show underneath as I scrubbed that KnotKlipper with naval jelly. Took a couple of hours, but it was definitely well worth it. I've decided to put it into service and start using it. The handle just needs some TLC, and I think I can get some more life out of it before having to re-handle it. I'll probably sell the Forest Service pulaski. Got bills to pay, and it's just too nice to start chopping up roots with!

"THANKS FELLOW AXE NUTS"

Are you calling us crazy

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter View Post
    "THANKS FELLOW AXE NUTS"

Are you calling us crazy
    Absolutely! And add me to that list, ha!

Quote Originally Posted by bearhunter View Post
    "THANKS FELLOW AXE NUTS"

Are you calling us crazy
    Hey, now! I resemble that remark.

seems like you may as well go the rest of the way at this point, rehandle it and get to choppin

Somehow I missed this post. Really nice work there. The Knot Klipper was the caddy of the Mann Edge Tool axe lines. Very hardy durable, sought after axes. Well done on the find, restore, and sharpening jobs.
    Axes4Life

Wanna trade a GB double for that Mann????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by M3mphis View Post
    Wanna trade a GB double for that Mann????????????????
    PM sent EDITED- Can't PM or email you, please send me a PM, thanks.
    Last edited by RockyMtnBushcraft; 10-12-2012 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Operator1975 View Post
    Somehow I missed this post. Really nice work there. The Knot Klipper was the caddy of the Mann Edge Tool axe lines. Very hardy durable, sought after axes. Well done on the find, restore, and sharpening jobs.
    Operator-

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, the Mann KnotKlipper appears to be an exceptional axe. I took it out this week and played with it, and it really chops! Light in the hand, extremely well balanced, and hits with pinpoint accuracy. Helds its edge well too. Can we say "addicting?"

Great find, and great restoration!
    John Frankl

Lucky! I wish I could find stuff at garage sales like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information