Thread: Estate find: S&W Model 27-2

Estate find: S&W Model 27-2

ADVERTISEMENT
    An estate sale find last week. This one has me pleasantly suprised with an odd twist. It looked very lightly used......possibly unfired. It came with the orginal box and wax paper. The deep luster of the bluing is incredible and barely captured in my pics. I paid $500 cash for it.

It is a 1970-71 Smith & Wesson Model 27-2 (.357 Magnum) in an 8-3/8" barrel configuration.

The odd part? The orginal stocks (grips) were apparently removed and replaced. The current grips are a fairly rare set of 1956, non-relieved, diamond center, checkered, target grips. I have already received several offers between $175 and $225 just for the stocks.

I shot it over the past weeknd and it is very smooth and very accurate.

Pretty gun.

I inherited my grandpa's .357 model 66 in stainless. It is a straight shooter. I replaced the wood grips on mine with rubber ones just for shooting, but still have the original wooden grips set aside.

Nice score

man I need to go to more estate sales, sweet gun

Nice!!

Good ol' Smith and Wesson blueing, great score, it looks amazing
    "Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yessir the check is in the mail" - Jack Burton, Big Trouble in Little China
    "Catch me in five minutes, I'll smell like hard liquor" - Al Bundy

Inducted Blade 2010- Ham67

One of the classiest guns ever made by anyone--surpassed only by the original Registered Magnums on which it was based. Great find. My favorites are the 5" and 3.5" versions.

I used to own several model 27's. That big N frame will shoot full power .357 magnums for a long time before it loosens up. The craftsmanship on the earlier models is just unparalleled. I envy you man. You own one of the best revolvers ever made.

You got a heck of a deal. I sold a 5" model 27 10 years ago for $625.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle."
    “There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”

NICE! Let me know if you ever get tired of it

Amazing find. A total keeper.

''''' drooooollllll

Some N Frame goodness there mate...!!! A friends Old Man had a 3.5in 27 that was his carry gun out here for many years, that things was soooo sweet.... In .357 the l Frame is my favourite though....

Or as it looks now...

Quote Originally Posted by t1mpani View Post
    One of the classiest guns ever made by anyone--surpassed only by the original Registered Magnums on which it was based. Great find. My favorites are the 5" and 3.5" versions.
    My Grandfather's Registered Magnum sits in my Dad's gun safe. Grandpa bought it sometime in the late 30's off a guy who needed the dough. We shoot it once a year at Deer Camp in honor of the Old Man.

Hard to beat the old N frame Smiths IMHO. Also the 357 Magnum while lackluster in power in today's world of 500's and 460's is one of the most versatile handgun chamberings one can have. Everything from light 38's to full power 357 magnums.

Quote Originally Posted by Black LX View Post
    My Grandfather's Registered Magnum sits in my Dad's gun safe. Grandpa bought it sometime in the late 30's off a guy who needed the dough. We shoot it once a year at Deer Camp in honor of the Old Man.
    Good! i have one and shoot it too--I take care of it, but refuse to have any gun I won't shoot. No gun should ever be forced into retirement when the lockup is still good.

At the trough with crosshairs on all the Mutts and Rats
    This is for all you amateurs> http://youtu.be/4kU0XCVey_U

Love those older N frames in any caliber. That is a sweet find.

Quote Originally Posted by BrainOnSigs View Post
    An estate sale find last week. This one has me pleasantly suprised with an odd twist. It looked very lightly used......possibly unfired. It came with the orginal box and wax paper. The deep luster of the bluing is incredible and barely captured in my pics. I paid $500 cash for it.

It is a 1970-71 Smith & Wesson Model 27-2 (.357 Magnum) in an 8-3/8" barrel configuration.

The odd part? The orginal stocks (grips) were apparently removed and replaced. The current grips are a fairly rare set of 1956, non-relieved, diamond center, checkered, target grips. I have already received several offers between $175 and $225 just for the stocks.

I shot it over the past weeknd and it is very smooth and very accurate.

My Dad use to have the same gun, his grips looked like yours so they may be original.
    RickJ

Thread Information