Thread: 550 Lock Failure - Anybody seen this?

550 Lock Failure - Anybody seen this?

ADVERTISEMENT
    Not my video.

Any experience with this on the new gen 2s? Was thinking of picking up a couple of these for gifts for Xmas. My 551 is flawless, btw.

Nope, I told XiuXiu that too. I think his is just a defect. My gen 2 locks up solid. He should send his in for sure.

Did it do this before he took it apart and put the aftermarket scale on? My guess is no.

Even when my 0550's tip snapped off, the lock didn't fail. I don't remember it ever even wiggling. Always been solid for me.

"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"
    -A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

My 0561 did the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by presz View Post
    Did it do this before he took it apart and put the aftermarket scale on? My guess is no.
    What does this mean? If it is a criticism of aftermarket stuff being put on a knife... that scale is made by Hinderer...

Quote Originally Posted by docbp87 View Post
    What does this mean? If it is a criticism of aftermarket stuff being put on a knife... that scale is made by Hinderer...
    no I believe he's questioning whether it was put back together and then the problem arose, I thought the same thing, perhaps he didn't adjust it properly. to be even more clear I don't think the scale has anything to do with it.

Looks like a very early lockup is the problem from your video.. Send it in and get a 40-50% lockup on it.

My 551 doesn't have this issue, and is on a 50-55% lockup.

Not sure, maybe it's just me but it almost looks as though the pivot either isn't tight enough on the knife or there is side to side/up down movement in the pivot contributing to the situation.

They test the lock on all ZT/Kershaws before they box and ship with a spine wack.
    I have had problems with the lock up on my ZT 0550 after I installed a Hinderer scale. It had weak lock up kind of like the one shown, not quite as bad though. It took some adjustment to get it back right. I bent the lock bar over just a little and shifted the scales a little so that it had more lock up. My 0550 is the old style.

You take it apart and mess it up it should be your own problem, not ZTs.
    Quote Originally Posted by docbp87 View Post

No, it's probably directed towards poor assembly after the scale install.

I have a digi camo hinderer scale on my 551 and have zero issue.

why spend the time to make a video on something that Kershaw will easily make right? I'd rather take the time to get it fixed. Sounds like he could of done that, and paid attention to his kid, instead of making a video like this.

Quote Originally Posted by duro View Post
    why spend the time to make a video on something that Kershaw will easily make right? I'd rather take the time to get it fixed. Sounds like he could of done that, and paid attention to his kid, instead of making a video like this.
    Same reason you took the time out of your busy day to make this response.

"Its really not an issue." Then why did you make a three and a half minute video dedicated to it?

Guys, I am going to close this thread. At this point the knife needs to come back to the factory so we can check it out. I can't diagnose the issue from a video, and I want to see the problem resolved for abcsRezy.

abcsRezy, if you could please send the knife in to the Warranty department, we will be happy to fix it for you.

Our knives are assembled by trained professionals who build knives all day long - they build thousands of knives every month. The lockup on our knives is checked for defeat multiple times in the assembly process, but once a customer takes the knife apart, it is no longer in the condition that it was when it left the factory.

I want to be clear that once a knife has been taken apart and modified by the customer, it can be very difficult to judge where the problem came from. All we can do is bring the knife in and fix it. These kind of situations are the reason that most companies will tell you that the warranty is void if the knife is taken apart or modified.

If you ever have a lockup problem with your ZT or Kershaw knife, please contact us, regardless of whether you think it is our fault or your fault. Your safety is important to us, and we will work with you to find a solution

Thanks for your support,

- Jim

Thread Information