Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kill-Devil Sniper Hawk Handle Wrap

Exclamation Kill-Devil Sniper Hawk Handle Wrap

ADVERTISEMENT
    I received my Kill Devils yesterday.

I thought I'd share how I wrapped the handle on mine. There was just the right amount of cord included (20 feet) to do it this way.

First, you need to wet the cord. This causes the nylon to relax a bit, so it will be a bit easier to wrap, and when it dries it will tighten up too. Just take the hank of cord and run it under the faucet until it is soaked. I squeezed the water out, then dried off any remaining excess in a towel.

To start, run the cord through the hole in the handle to the mid point in the given length (should be 10' per side).

Next, from the center point of the cord, you need to pull an additional 4 and 1/2 feet (52"-53") through toward the side of the handle which will be on the finger side of your grip. Lay the SHORTER length of cord vertically up the handle, as shown in the photo. This will be on the PALM side of the grip, and will be slightly thicker (mine is shown for a right-handed user).

Wrap the LONGER length of cord up the recessed area of the handle, until you reach the top. Wrap firmly, but it doesn't need to be super tight (recall the cord will shink a bit as it dries). Once you've reached the top, hold the two pieces together and check to make sure that the two tag ends of cord are the same length (~6 feet). They should be within an inch or two of each other at most. If for some reason they're not, unwrap and adjust appropriately. I found the offset from the center needed to be 52"-53" for it to work out.

Next you start the modified coffin wrap (also known as the Strider wrap). Simply wrap the two pieces of cord around each other (I went counter-clockwise for my wraps), and pull them snug. Adjust the cord to the top of the underlying wrap, and you will wrap around to the other side of the handle in the next step.

While continuing to hold the cord firmly so the junction loops remain centered, flip the tomahawk over and wrap them around the back side. At the center of the handle, wrap the two pieces of cord around each other again while maintaining pressure on both pieces (make sure to go in the same direction, CCW here). Take care to adjust the cord at the edge of the handle so it is butted firmly up against the previous wrap, otherwise you will have gaps. If the cord does not want to lay down the right way, sometimes it helps to twist the cord slightly to make it lay down correctly.

Continue wrapping down the handle area until you reach the bottom. For me, this took 16 wraps per side. The next image shows the last loop wrap on the back side. One more loop wrap is still needed on the front side.

Bring the two pieces of cord back around to the back side one final time, but don't loop them around each other this time.

Next, thread the two pieces of cord through the hole in the handle.

Flip the blade over, and pull the two ends tightly to snug them up.

Finally, I held the two ends together and simply tied a single overhand knot. Before pulling it snug, I worked it down as close to the handle as possible. This picture shows the completed wrap. I re-trimmed the tag ends slightly, but you shouldn't have more than about 6" left on either side.

The final product. I beat on mine a bit this afternoon, and it is actually pretty comfortable, even without gloves. I think it turned out pretty good!

Hopefully this helps a few people out with theirs. I thought there would be some instructions included for wrapping from Busse, but there weren't, so I just set out to do one myself. I think this is a good option to use with the amount of cord we were given. Enjoy wrapping!!!
    Last edited by SpyderPhreak; 10-19-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: clarification
    "Heh heh heh. That's not a knife... THAT'S A KNIFE!!!" Mick D., 1986
    "Engineers don't idle well."
    Freedom is NOT Free!!! THANK YOU to those who serve this GREAT country!!!

Great tutorial dude, thanks for sharing!
    **Just having some fun - Pics of my work**

Instagram: JONASIGLESIAS

#125 in RyanW's 2014 GAW!

Waiting on mine.....will definitely revisit this page!

Thanks!

Took a few glamor shots as well, might as well post them here.

I am most impressed how well the spike end bites, and how it can handle the torqueing of the handle. I easily split a couple pieces of 4x4's this way!!!

Just curious, why not do a full wrap on one?

Quote Originally Posted by VolundoftheForge View Post
    Just curious, why not do a full wrap on one?
    I suppose you could. Note how the wrapped area is not as wide as the rest of the shaft though. Busse gave us just enough cord to wrap the recessed area.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPhreak View Post
    I suppose you could. Note how the wrapped area is not as wide as the rest of the shaft though. Busse gave us just enough cord to wrap the recessed area.
    Good point. Guess it depends on if you plan on choking up on it like a fighter or staying back there for breaching tasks.

Thanks for sharing, this will help out many of the folks who scored these.....

Thank you much for the step by step with great pix!
    BOLO- #12 or missing # SOB LE , SATIN w/ YELLOW-BLK G-10. If seen, plz contact voracious1 or myself.
    Lexi & Pokey ROCK!!!

BOLO: Poached Bose Lottery Zulu Spear (link)
    Platinum Member - Busse Forum Moderator

I just got around to wrapping mine today. threw a Dguard on it because I had extra paracord layin around:

the gnurling of the weave gives almost fingergroove grip on the handle.

How does that feel when chopping with only one primary thickness of paracord over the steel? I've used mine pretty extensively now, and two full layers of paracord over the steel (as pictured) is almost not enough cushion without gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by drbarnes View Post
    I started this wrap on mine but am not very good and ended up messing it up early on. It looks aewsome!!
    I went with a MUCH more simple wrap.

cool wrapping everybody.
    Buy Brown Kydex
    WTB; Busse HACK Bear Cubs ! Especially the Ram's Horn one !!!!
    azgunnut@earthlink.net

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderPhreak View Post
    How does that feel when chopping with only one primary thickness of paracord over the steel? I've used mine pretty extensively now, and two full layers of paracord over the steel (as pictured) is almost not enough cushion without gloves.
    I usually wear gloves when I chop or do any work with my hands outside. I am clumsy and have hurt my hands enough that I know they need to be protected.

My grandpa told me to take care of my hands and feet because they are the only ones I'll ever have.

To answer your question, it is a bit thin, I might do a second layer of the same wrap over the handle, or take it off all together and put some foam on the handle area before rewrapping.

A note - I've read a few people are having some trouble with this wrap. Here's my recommendation.

Make sure not to skip the step where you check the length of the two pieces against one another once you get to the top of the handle after the first wrap. I bolded that part to make it clearer. Once you continue past there, do your best to keep consistant tension on both pieces of the cord, and try to keep the loops centered as you go.

I just did a one layer strider wrap (I call it twisty wrap)...and it is not thick enough (uncomfortable)....think I need go two layer or maybe epoxy on leather slabs then wrap over it...dense under foam may be a good option as well.

How do you think one layer of rubber bike tube would do under any one of these wraps? Enough to take away shock and add thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by adrock1978 View Post
    How do you think one layer of rubber bike tube would do under any one of these wraps? Enough to take away shock and add thickness?
    I don't know. Might be interesting to try sliding some on in between the two layers, just before you start wrapping back down. Would also give some contrast behind the looped cord.

here is one i just finished.

THAT is awesome

But let us know how it 'handles' being thrown around!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information