Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Will it be a Richards? - Return To Otley (now with pics)!

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668

    Another 'Little Chief'


    ADVERTISEMENT


    There was a second junk shop in the Otley arcade, run by two women who were even battier than the other one. They really did have a lot of rubbish on sale, but they had this gentleman in the window, very much like the chap that graced my first pocket knife. Unfortunately, despite the fact that the wooden figure (three or so feet tall) is clearly of an elderly vintage himself, the owners had decided to recently get him a new coat of war-paint. My apologies again for the poor photograph, but the two ladies took up most of the shop themselves, and it was hard to get in to look around or take a photograph. I hope you can at least see the tomahawk.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    513
    Thanks for taking us along on the trip to Otley, Jack.
    Great post, I have truly enjoyed it.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    West coast Canada
    Posts
    10,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Thanks I respect Mr Levine's knowledge and experience, but I think the junk shops of Otley are a safer environment

    Who hasn't suffered a sling or an arrow there??
    Shall we have a 2014 Bladeforums knife?

    Perchance in Stag??

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Thank you once again gentlemen for all your very kind comments. There are quite a few small market towns near where I live, so I'm going to go and try and 'hunt' regularly. If anyone wants to start a crochet hook collection I might even return to Otley again

    I'm a bit unsure what to do with the John Wells knife I found, whether I should have a go at cleaning it up, and sharpening what needs to be sharpened and fixing what needs to be fixed, or leaving as it is. Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

    Jack

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Just came across an identical knife to the one I originally spotted in Otley online. Specs are given as follows:

    Old Richards Sheffield Knife
    "Mother of Pearl Celluloid Scout Knife"
    Made in Sheffield, England 1940's

    Vintage Richards Sheffield Knife "Mother of Pearl Celluloid Scout Knife". Nice mother of pearl swirl celluloid handle scales. High carbon steel spear point blade, polished stainless steel cap lifter screwdriver and can opener. All of the blades have good strong snap. Tang stamped with Richards Sheffield logo. Steel fluted bolsters, liners, inlaid crest shield, and bail. Nice old collectible scout pocket knife. Mint condition, never used or sharpened.

    Made in Sheffield, England 1940's

    Blade Material: High Carbon Steel & Stainless Steel
    Handle Material: Swirl Celluloid
    Blade Length: 2-1/2"
    Closed Length: 3-5/8"
    Weight: 2.5 oz

    I don't know about the dating, I would have said it was from the 60's rather than the 40's.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Outer Hebrides, Scotland
    Posts
    1,131
    Jack, he lived in Walton road, just off the Ecclesall road at the botanic gardens. Couldn't tell you when it was made I'm afraid mate, patina is well and truly embedded, but the blades are oddly leaf shaped for a pen knife from Sheffield, he had it for as long as I can remember, I got it when he passed away about 10 years ago.
    On the hunt for a GEC 253113BE STL, I know that there must be some lying unused somewhere!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Quote Originally Posted by pmew View Post
    Jack, he lived in Walton road, just off the Ecclesall road at the botanic gardens. Couldn't tell you when it was made I'm afraid mate, patina is well and truly embedded, but the blades are oddly leaf shaped for a pen knife from Sheffield, he had it for as long as I can remember, I got it when he passed away about 10 years ago.
    It's a small world indeed I spent my first 17 years living at 795 Ecclesall Road, and later in my twenties, at 721 for a year. I had friends who lived on Walton Road as a teenager. The Botanical Gardens are still there, but have changed somewhat since I was a kid, when we used to climb over the wall at night. I'm over in Sheffield regularly, could take you some photos if you like?

    Jack

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Outer Hebrides, Scotland
    Posts
    1,131
    Yeah, that would be sweet. I remember mucking about in the bear pit when I was a wee lad in the botanic gardens, is it still there or has health and safety shut everything down?
    On the hunt for a GEC 253113BE STL, I know that there must be some lying unused somewhere!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Quote Originally Posted by pmew View Post
    Yeah, that would be sweet. I remember mucking about in the bear pit when I was a wee lad in the botanic gardens, is it still there or has health and safety shut everything down?
    As far as I know, it's a few years since I've been there, but it's still open, and it was always my favourite place in the Botanical Gardens. I'm going over to see one of my daughters in a couple of days, so I'll see if I can persuade her to go for a walk there. Do you remember the Rose Gardens with the Peter Pan statue too? Me and my friends sometimes used to play tag in there on summer evenings after we'd climbed over the wall, nobody ever bothered us. I used to know the guy in charge of the place, and his family, at one time too, though he was a bit of a misery!

    I was just trying to pull a couple of images off the net for you, and I see that since I was last there, they've stuck a statue of a bear in there, rather spoils it in my opinion.





    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffie...anical_Gardens

    http://sheffield-for-beginners.blogs...-dis-bear.html

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Outer Hebrides, Scotland
    Posts
    1,131
    That's not good, they took a lot of stuff out and changed it all around, the big statue and fountain of queen Victoria went too.
    On the hunt for a GEC 253113BE STL, I know that there must be some lying unused somewhere!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Austin, Tx
    Posts
    4,634
    Jack, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your adventures of Otley. I too have met a few crochet matriarchs in my time, here in the U.S., and after your fine story believe I will start my collection of Otley crochet hooks.

    Keep the stories coming! ...and watch out for flying balls of yarn.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    England. * STEVE *
    Posts
    868
    My first knife was a Richards. Here in the UK is was difficult to find much else when I was growing up. They were pretty poor knives, but one knife I owned was slightly better than the usual ones I owned, and that was the camper in the picture. I still own it, it's tucked away in my safe. I used it for awhile as a kid then gave it to my grandfather, and he used it for awhile then it returned to me, so the history is much more important to me than the knife. I loved...and still do...the plastic stag scales.
    The blade is carbon steel, I used gun blue to darken it years ago, it's now almost black. I will say it takes a better edge than many carbon blades I own today.
    Good story Jack. We'd like more like that if you please :-)


  13. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Quote Originally Posted by pmew View Post
    That's not good, they took a lot of stuff out and changed it all around, the big statue and fountain of queen Victoria went too.
    Really? I hadn't realised that, what a shame.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Gevonovich View Post
    Jack, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your adventures of Otley. I too have met a few crochet matriarchs in my time, here in the U.S., and after your fine story believe I will start my collection of Otley crochet hooks.

    Keep the stories coming! ...and watch out for flying balls of yarn.
    Thank you Gevonovich, very kind of you to say so (I'm afraid I've just directed you here from another thread). Maybe I could run a crochet-hook giveaway!

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Quote Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
    My first knife was a Richards. Here in the UK is was difficult to find much else when I was growing up. They were pretty poor knives, but one knife I owned was slightly better than the usual ones I owned, and that was the camper in the picture. I still own it, it's tucked away in my safe. I used it for awhile as a kid then gave it to my grandfather, and he used it for awhile then it returned to me, so the history is much more important to me than the knife. I loved...and still do...the plastic stag scales.
    The blade is carbon steel, I used gun blue to darken it years ago, it's now almost black. I will say it takes a better edge than many carbon blades I own today.
    Good story Jack. We'd like more like that if you please :-)

    Thanks Steve. I'd never have guessed that camper was a Richards from the photo. Nice collection you have

    I'm planning a trip into deepest South Yorkshire - Barnsley or Rotherham - next week, so a tale may result!

    Jack

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    I'd like you all to have a stake in my next 'Otley Run' http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...y-Run-Giveaway

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    s.w. Michigan
    Posts
    1,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post

    I'm a bit unsure what to do with the John Wells knife I found, whether I should have a go at cleaning it up, and sharpening what needs to be sharpened and fixing what needs to be fixed, or leaving as it is. Any opinions and advice would be appreciated.

    Jack
    I don't think there's any harm in cleaning and sharpening a knife unless it's never been sharpened before.

    This is a fun thread- reminds me of the locales and characters Emma Peel and Steed used to come across.

    Almost forgot- here's a Slater rigging knife and a Rogers Bowie (I CUT MY WAY), about the only Sheffields I've got. I think the Bowie is quite a fine knife- I bought it in London on foreign study in the 1970s. and bent the cross throwing it after I got home.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England.
    Posts
    9,668
    Quote Originally Posted by scrteened porch View Post
    I don't think there's any harm in cleaning and sharpening a knife unless it's never been sharpened before.

    This is a fun thread- reminds me of the locales and characters Emma Peel and Steed used to come across.

    Almost forgot- here's a Slater rigging knife and a Rogers Bowie (I CUT MY WAY), about the only Sheffields I've got. I think the Bowie is quite a fine knife- I bought it in London on foreign study in the 1970s. and bent the cross throwing it after I got home.
    Thanks SP. I was in a tourist shop in Sheffield yesterday, which sells some over-priced Sheffield cutlery (eg machine-ground Bowie knives that were priced at £15 twenty years ago selling for £150) . I got chatting to the woman behind the counter, and showed her the old John Watts knife I got. She asked if I'd bid for it at auction! Her face was a picture when I told her I got it for £6 in an Otley junk shop.

    I've not thought of The Avengers in years, though it was a real favourite of mine as a kid. I was once thrilled to be likened to 'a working-class (blue collar) John Steed' by friends some years ago, but I'm afraid the comparison had more to do with the fact I was carrying an umbrella than anything else. I might one to fend off crochet-hooks the next time I go to Otley!

    I like your knives I used to have similar ones to both, and both patterns are still made in Sheffield. My clasp knife was a William Rodgers that my Grandfather carried in WW2, and a real beater. The Bowie was sent to me by a rep in the early 90's. Sadly, both knives were stolen, together with a lot of others, many years ago.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,326
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Black View Post
    Thanks I respect Mr Levine's knowledge and experience, but I think the junk shops of Otley are a safer environment
    Quote Originally Posted by waynorth View Post

    Who hasn't suffered a sling or an arrow there??
    I guess I'm fortunate that Roland (who suggested I post there) was the only person who responded to my inquiry about a Utica EO jack. I just assumed it was like when you move to a new town and all the kids at school ignore the new guy. Maybe being ignored is better than being abused!

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bedford, UK
    Posts
    2,176
    This is a very enjoyable thread. Thanks Jack Black. This is another example of a Richards knife with the inexpensive shell-handled construction.

    Rust Never Sleeps s-k

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •