Thread: Tight clip, good or pain in the butt?

Tight clip, good or pain in the butt?

ADVERTISEMENT
    So this is a bit trivial but I have seen so many Youtube reviews where they talk about a good tight or sturdy clip for a folder that won't let your knife go anywhere. But unless you are worried that someone is going to take it out of your pocket without consent, I want a pocket clip that is so loose it doesn't bind or catch on the fabric of my pants in any way. Each of my knives clips were so tight from the factory, I had to struggle to pull it out of my pocket with one hand. I should be able to put my pocket knife in my pocket simply, quickly and easily and the clip should keep it from falling into my pocket and still allow it to be withdrawn just as easily. Especially a heavy knife. Gravity provides the security to prevent the knife from falling out of the pocket. So why do you need such a tight pocket clip?

Just wondering. I have bent mine out about the width of the seam of my thickest pants so there is a small gap between the clip and the grip which seems to work well for me. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by cutitout; 10-09-2012 at 05:29 PM.

Almost every knife with a clip that I buy, I bend the clip just enough so it's NOT in contact with the knife frame. Some clips are so tight that they won't allow pocket entry. And, I'm never going to hang upside down, or jump from an airplane, so for me, they're secure enough when I release some of that tension.

Thanks Dano,

I was beginning to think I was nuts for bending mine out. I know this is not a big deal, but I am still getting into collecting and don't know all the ins and outs yet. I guess there could be times when a really tight clip might help like working on a boat or mountain climbing or parachuting or working in a circus where I might be upside down and it could fall out, but the most risk I might face i getting in and out of my SUV. When I got my first knife with a clip, (a Zero Tolerance) I looked like a goofy guy struggling to get my knife out of my pocket and pulling my pants up in the process.

I am one of those who prefer a tight pocket clip, but I have three kids and my life feels like a circus most of the time.

If you do a lot of physical work and jumping in and out of things or climbing up on stuff it's a great thing. Sturdy and tight is always better and you can adjust as needed. Some on expensive "tactical" folders will bend out and lose integrity first time it's snagged on an object.

I've lost enough knives. I prefer a clip that is annoyingly secure.
    I am trying to find a convenient, quick-release lanyard like my Schrade CH7 (ClipHanger) had, so I can either remove the clip or loosen it.
    I don't like losing knives...

My life-style is slowly becoming less active, but I still need a secure clip.
    Maybe I should simply stop falling down hills in the dark and crashing ATVs.

I like a tight clip. Even at a theme park coupled with button down pockets it was secure. And i can place and remove with one hand. Worn out pockets is the result over time though. Or you could sew in a wear patch. My work pants are the tactical type and have an extra patch right there intended for clipping things.

In my experience, lose clips = lost knives.

I won't carry a knife with a loose clip. If it doesn't touch with authority, it gets fixed or tossed in the fix pile.
    Last edited by co556guy; 10-09-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: fixed spelling error

My strider clip is so tight everytime I pull the knife it rips my pocket a little and gives me a wedgie. I love it!!

I like clips to be tight but prefer the handle material under the clip to be not too aggressive.

I want the clip very tight, but i want the scales smooth.

I would rather have tighter than looser. I have had knives pulled from my pocket before when I brushed against something, pulled off a coat, etc. I've also had knives slip out of my pocket for no reason. I generally wear tight jeans and it is no problem for me to take out my knife or put it back even if it has a tight clip.

I've seen vids on youtube of guys demonstrating their draw technique and the guys were wearing loose sweatpants and in one case the guy was wearing pajamas. If you wear loose clothes like this then a tight clip might be a problem.

I prefer snug. I adjust mine either way to make it just right!

I use to like my clip loose, till I lost my Socom Elite. Now the tighter the better.

I rather have an annoyingly tight knife than not.

Quote Originally Posted by sigsoup View Post
    My strider clip is so tight everytime I pull the knife it rips my pocket a little and gives me a wedgie. I love it!!
    I'm all for tight clips with great retention, but I think that if a knife starts doing things to my butt it's a little much...
    "Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me."
    --Immanuel Kant

After almost losing a couple knives I now prefer tight clips. It's like saying 'I prefer driving without my seat belt on, it's much more comfortable'...until you get in a car crash.

I remove the clips on a lot of my knives, i mostly prefer to carry a mid sized blade (mini grip, leek, etc) in the bottom of my pocket. Anyways, i see the clip as having two purposes: first to keep it secure and second to keep it accesible (i.e. it keeps it from falling down into the depths of your pocket where it's hard to reach). I kept the clip on my delica (because i didn't quite fit right in the bottom of my pocket) but i ended up bending it out a bit. Turned out this was a big mistake. I use the delica the mostly when i'm doing something active (sailing, etc.) and i don't want to lose my knife. in these situations i want a clip as tight as possible.

My vote is for a firm clip, and there are knives that I like but won't carry because I don't feel that they're secure enough. It's not just the financial effects of losing a knife, but also the thought of the trouble someone else might get into with something that I unwittingly added to the world.

I draw my knife by hooking my index finger under the clip, so it's not exerting its full spring strength against my pocket.

Thread Information