Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Certain Gravitas - the Ebony Opinel!

A Certain Gravitas - the Ebony Opinel!

ADVERTISEMENT
    Opinels are usually light, simple and easy to carry. They are also very effective at what they do. They slice well with their thin blades.
    I've had several over the years, and often, because they are so cheap, I have given them away to knifeless friends, to help them get along in life, extracting a small coin from them so their real values don't become skewed!!
    (Even I don't understand that statement completely!)

But I think I will hang on to this one for a while. The Ebony Handle, and highly polished Sandvic blade give the knife a certain serious, no-nonsense appeal. I know the steel performs very well, and has that good Opinel geometry. It slices through a block of old cheddar, and sticky dried figs like nothing! It makes a simple lunch that much more enjoyable.

Being light, it's a pleasure to carry, but I think it will live near the lunch and breakfast table. I enjoy using it so much, and it makes me contemplate my food a little more - so important to good health.

I sanded the narrow butt, and polished it with compound, just to prove the handle is untreated Ebony (Blackwood). It is so dense, it buffs right up to a gloss finish; magical stuff really!

Life's simple pleasures!!

A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

I have always wanted one of these, but I know that it being stainless would drive me nuts. Now, I like stainless, but I prefer carbon because the patina accents the Ebony as it ages, IMO. Glad that you enjoy it!!!

I have never had an Opinel but this one might get me in the mood to order. If any one knows of a nice dealer PM me if you get a chance with their info. Thanks! And thank you Waynorth for the pictures they are awesome.

That's a beauty! I've been tempted by the more 'exotic' woods that Opinel has like olive and bubinga. The ebony is sweet, and I quite like the stainless that Opinel uses, I haven't had to sharpen mine much at all, maybe twice since I got it a couple years back.

5. They also make the little #2 in ebony/blackwood.

Oooh! Nice! I'm on a bit of an ebony kick right now.

I used to have one of these, gave it to a friend as a leaving present when she went away. The foolish girl left it on the window-sill of her narrowboat until it rusted, then moaned about it like it was then worthless. Annoyed the hell out of me

I've never been the biggest fan of the Opinel knives but this is certainly making me reevaluate my previous aversion to them.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by ranchmanben View Post
    I've never been the biggest fan of the Opinel knives
    Me neither actually.

Do I understand right that Opinel has a ebony model in the line up now, or has it just been there and I've some how missed it(Charlie/anybody)? That is so sweeettt!

I really like the looks of that! Didn't know that they could be had in Ebony...
    Thanks,
    Another one to add to the list

That is awesome! I would like carbon for the patina also. This may be very worth buying an ebony one and a plain carbon one for a swap.

I also did not know you could find them in Ebony.

Thanks,

Kevin

If you google Opinel, or Ebony Opinel, you should find one. That's how I did it.

What is the third knife, on the right, Jake?
    A 2014 Stag BF Jack in everyone's pocket!

What could be better?

I really like the Ebony. If I dropped the funds for one I'd have to commit myself to being more gentle with it than I do with my $12 Opinels but the nicer wood really is classy! I wanted one of the horn ones as well, til I looked up the price...yowch! Didn't realize they went for so much.

You just gave me a serious headache, I didn't know about it. I'm in a tight spot financially, and I just looked at the price...hopefully they will still be available when my situation improves.

My regular stainless #8 is probably my most-used knife. I keep it in my lunch bag, and I use it every day to cut up all the fruit that I eat with lunch. This would be a nice upgrade, I just love quality ebony.

Oh... my...
    You just gave me one more reason to hate my current lack of employment.

For me, they are one of the best food-prep knives. Not surprisingly, as the French revere their food.

Don't have the Ebony but do own a Bubinga one which has a nice deep rich red colour and is a hardwood too. The Sandvik stainless is a dram to sharpen.

Thanks, Will

The olive burl is beautiful too, but not the price tag. Looks like spalted wood.

I'll have to figure out a way to download then upload the pic of it.

I found a good source for one but now I'm torn between the ebony and the Brazilian Rose Wood. I want be able to aquire one until the first of next year anyway, but that isn't going to be easy to decide! The ebony is in a #8 while the BRW is in a #6, I've got a #7 & #8 but no #6 yet. Help!!!! Either way I'll get to try the 12C27 which I look forward too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information