Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats some methods you guys have used, to remove the blade coating from your Beckers?

The foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.

Whats some methods you guys have used, to remove the blade coating from your Beckers?

ADVERTISEMENT
    I ask, because I just received my first Becker, a BK2, and I want to strip her right away. Whats some methods you guys have used, the tools needed, chemicals involved, and times required, to strip these beautiful ladies down to the raw?
    Thanks guys in advance,
    Brandon

I used Klean Strip Premium Stripper. It is in a copper fairly tall can. Works good. make sure to wear gloves though that stuff could burn the skin.
    I bought it at Home Depot.
    No prob, bro.
    Jose

Klean Strip Premium Stripper
    Yup.

About to strip my ESEE Laser Strike tonight as soon as it's done etching tonight...

I usually use an old cookie sheet out on the back patio... lay the blade down, spray a good foamy layer over it and let it sit for about 15 min... then just use some kind of scraper, razor blade or something... and it should just peel right off...

As was said, wear a good chemical protector glove... medical style latex gloves are not enough and you will get chem burns through them. Once it's done I just hose it all off then take it inside for a final rinse and wipe. You can use a light sandpaper (600+) to smooth it all up.

Could you explain "etching" to me Uncle M?

Aircraft paint stripper sold at auto parts stores will melt the coating right off, super clean. It is; however, powerful. As above, need chem resistant gloves. This is not a toy or to be messed with. Read the directions and dispose of properly.

But it works awesome.

Made a tutorial about it awhile back:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ting-(TUTORIAL!)

Hope it helps you out man.

Could you explain "etching" to me Uncle M?
    Sure. On knives that have the logo laser engraved into the finish of the blade, such as on the Becker 'tweeners(and the big knives soon) as well as ESEE knives, and some others.

You can use a 'PCB Etchant Solution' from Radio Shack to etch the logo/engraving into the actual metal prior to stripping. The PCB Etchant is a mild acid used to strip a circuit board. You can use a Q-Tip or similar to apply it to the laser engraved bits on the blade so that when you strip the coating, the engraving will still be there instead of fading away.

Here's an example:

i used the search feature hope that helps.

no, seriously, there's been like 470,000 or MORE stripping posts in the last little while, and most of these guys detail every step. it's crazy, all these strippers.

so yeah. searching on "becker strip" or "becker stripped" or "becker stripped" will nail what you want faster than the guys can repost it for you
    Bladite

'''Has full plans for zombie apocalypse, no idea what he's doing TUESDAY'''

Becker Forum. PSSSSST, hey buddy, wanna read the List of Lists? or the Becker forum Rules/FAQ?
    Perhaps check out the Becker Blade Database? Lots and LOTS of often asked for information yonder

I appologize Bladite. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CamH_16 View Post
    Made a tutorial about it awhile back:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...ting-(TUTORIAL!)

Hope it helps you out man.
    Thanks CamH!

I use a razor blade. 10-20 minutes depending on blade length. Done. No nasty mess to deal with.

klean stip, razor blade and brass brush. if i have known about etching.. i would have done that for my 16. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith_shoot View Post
    I appologize Bladite. Sorry.
    nothing to apologize for unless you're Gibbs or someone
    Bladite

'''Has full plans for zombie apocalypse, no idea what he's doing TUESDAY'''

Becker Forum. PSSSSST, hey buddy, wanna read the List of Lists? or the Becker forum Rules/FAQ?
    Perhaps check out the Becker Blade Database? Lots and LOTS of often asked for information yonder

That Esse 4 looks nice naked

Sand paper and elbow grease will get the job done.
    It took me like 10 or 15 minutes to sand the coating off my Machax.
    -Cooper

Beckerhead #185
    Proud Supporter of JK Knives #94, Terrio Handmade Knives, T.M. Hunt Custom Knives

Quote Originally Posted by cbwoods67 View Post
    Sand paper and elbow grease will get the job done.
    It took me like 10 or 15 minutes to sand the coating off my Machax.
    100% - I don't use chemical stripper, because I don't like using chemicals. Also, I don't want to remove the coating under the scales or elsewhere, that doesn't get actively involved in the cut, for protection. I affix a piece of sandpaper to a board, lay the flats on the sandpaper and work it back and forth, while watching the tube. That's how I did my H.E.S.T. and RC-3.

Doc

So, any high strength paint stripper will work?

Quote Originally Posted by DOC-CANADA View Post
    100% - I don't use chemical stripper, because I don't like using chemicals. Also, I don't want to remove the coating under the scales or elsewhere, that doesn't get actively involved in the cut, for protection. I affix a piece of sandpaper to a board, lay the flats on the sandpaper and work it back and forth, while watching the tube. That's how I did my H.E.S.T. and RC-3.

Doc
    Looky thar. That sucker is so sharp it took his Canadian scrotum clean off!

One of my BK2 I shaved with another blade and then spent a coarse sandpaper to then I apply a series of increasingly fine sandpaper to polish ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information