Thread: A.G. Russell's Bicentenial knife in Brass

A.G. Russell's Bicentenial knife in Brass

ADVERTISEMENT
    So recently I saw one of these on e-Bay. And I scored it. I know it's still available with A.G. Russell but I did get a MUCH nicer deal on it on the Bay.

I used to always wonder why the price was so high on these. Part of it I suspected was the collectors value. These were made in the old Solingen Factory that A.G. used to own.

Now that I've handled one though....I'll say that I understand why they're priced the way they are.....and that they'd be worth every penny even on retail price.

I don't know the steel on them. The Russell site says High Carbon and the blade is stamped "Stainless". But the Brass handles are just amazing. I can only imagine what the Silver and Gold versions of these are like.

Here's some pictures:

And yes, that polish is the way it came....I didn't do any polishing on this one.

Nice thick blade, perfectly centered, wonderfull cut swedge

Nice knife

Blog Entries
    Very nice!

I have not seen anything from AG Russell that was not top quality.

Thanks for the nice detail pictures, and nice score!

best

mqqn

Signature by slg98 -thanks Sam!
    Andy
    Blade Forums Rules. Click here.

Thanks for the information. I was eyeing one of these in the recent catalog. Looks like an easy choice, now.

You'll enjoy it I'm sure. And if you don't....well you can send it right on back to A.G.

Plus....you know these will NEVER be made again.

REALLY nice.
    I'm tempted but I have too many knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycosa View Post
    REALLY nice.
    I'm tempted but I have too many knives.
    I'm sorry.....I don't comprehend.....does not compute.......can....not......

lol! Meybe you^ can spare one.

that thick blade is very appealing, gorgeous swedging

It is a very nice knife but I find the choice to make a U.S. bicentennial knife in Germany a bit strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Stelth View Post
    It is a very nice knife but I find the choice to make a U.S. bicentennial knife in Germany a bit strange.
    If you own a factory....why not use it? Especially if you feel it was the best one for the job at the moment. I don't find it strange at all.

They still make this? I have one in all stainless I bought in 1976( when they were made. How much are they?

They don't still make it. They still have some from when they were made in '76. The Brass version is around €250 I think.

Blog Entries
    I remember when they came out, I shoulda bought one then...
    "Of the knives I own, the ones I'd buy, are considerably less in number." (Ted)TAE 11-02-12
    RAT Pack #353
    SpyderNation#8

Nice knife.

Aside from the commemorative solid brass handle, that pattern is identical to some 'coffin handle' folding knives made by Hen & Rooster in the same time period ('70s), and sold by A.G. Russell. A.G. owned the original H & R factory (Bertram) for a time, from '75 - '80 or so. Maybe this was produced under his leadership there. Here's a pic of one of the H & R knives:

So far as I know, the quality of those H & R knives was top-notch in that time period, so I'd bet this commemorative is no different. I'm assuming it was made in the same factory.

Yup, should be the same factory. Don't think that it was under his ownership back then though.

Not to derail the thread but I love that coffin handle! Nothing like a nicely swedged spear point!

Here's mine, also from ebay, for very few dollars:

I'm showing it with my 3 1/2" AGR Shopmade Stockman which i bought from AGR because i do support and buy from AGR as well as bottom fishing ebay. Both are great knives.
    roland

Nice. Like you I prefer buying from A.G.R. themselves. In fact, A.G.R. is the only company that I have multiple knives of. But this one off the bay was just too good to pass up.

Yours has a nice looking dark patina. Do you use it at all?

The blade finish is 'mint', the lighting has shadows. I haven't carried it. I have so many knives i would like to carry and for some reason, the list keeps growing !
    If you're looking for a near custom level Stockman, the AGR Shopmade one i show above is very nice.
    roland

Thread Information