101 uses for "Ranger Bands"

Ok...I know we all use these things for whatever. I wanna see how many different uses y'all have for them. Just post 'em here and share a little of the wealth of knowledge with everyone here.

One of my latest is to wrap a small strip around my cell phone so I can sit it on the dash of the truck so it doesn't slide all over the place. I also use one to keep the Zippo sealed tight. Any others?

Wrap them around the mini kit and use them as fire starters.

Kevin

Mount a flash light to a shotgun, po man Houges for a handgun, Mount a ferro rod to a knife sheath. Thats just for starters! They are GREAT!!!!

You mean bicycle inner tube? Ya can get tons of it for free from bike shops.

They make an awesome fire starter. Carry some jute twine instead of 550 cord (lighter, strong enough for shelter building, and holds knots better). Cut off a small piece of twine, fray it up real good, put it in the middle of the band and strike your ferro rod to it. Once the rubber starts you have a gooey fire starter that's good for 5 min or so.

Improves the grip on ice axes shafts. Not as much as the self sticking tape but lasts way longer. It also comes handy for making antiboots for the crampons. Well, not exaclty Ranger Bands since I use rubber from the thickest inner tubes I can find (trucks, tractors and alike).

The inner tube also comes handy to make long rubber bands (you have to cut and knot them) to keep spare spears and other gear attached to our safety orange oval shaped
boye while spearfishing (diving).
Mikel

I use them on the inside of my bicycle tires to hold air:):)

Seriously - I haven't used any for anything yet, but there are alot of good ideas here so I'll have to cut up one of my old tubes and see what I can use it for. I like the idea of putting one on the strap on my back pack, that seems to be very useful.

When cut very thin, they also make superb small sized rubber bands to keep bags, cases, etc shut. I even use two of them to keep my Sharpmaker shut!

Mikel

I use them to secure gear. It keeps them quiet and keeps me from losing them. That was the original use of the "ranger band" by rangers, most commonly to keep knives and flashlights on the LBE shoulder harness straps. Losing your anglehead flashlight, knife, compass, or a grenade can be a real bad thing. And holding many items (pistol, flashlight, knife, baton etc) can be real difficult when your hands are sweaty or bloody.

Here are more ideas: http://www.therangerdigest.com/Tips Tricks/34 ranger bands/34 ranger bands.html

Last edited:
I often use innertube rubber of various sizes to attach items to my knife sheaths.
stsurvivalgeardh4.jpg

Mac

Ever thought of just using a rubber band? :confused: :eek:

I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't the inner tube last a *lot* longer? All the rubber bands I've seen that have been around a while end up going gooey, then brittle.

i dunno about "official" ranger bands, but butyl rubber as used in inner tubes lasts way longer than the latex (??) used in rubber bands.

I cut some of my bicycle inner tubes into long strips and use them as gear tie downs, the knot holds and they ar nice and stretchy.

I usually use a ranger band to hold a emergency bandage to my knife sheath.

Lots of good uses so far.

You know those Mora knives...the ones with the good knives ,but not so secure sheaths?

If you cut a small piece of a Ranger Band & super glue it inside the sheath opening,it tightens it up on the handle just enough to be secure while still allowing you to get the knife outta there.
Like this:

001-Copy12-1.jpg

Cliff

Lots of good uses so far.

You know those Mora knives...the ones with the good knives ,but not so secure sheaths?

If you cut a small piece of a Ranger Band & super glue it inside the sheath opening,it tightens it up on the handle just enough to be secure while still allowing you to get the knife outta there...
Cliff

Great! When I finally get my hands on one of this Mora knives i will try this trick for sure. Somehow I just don't feel like buying localy... they where asking me for 26€ (like $39) for one of the smallest ones with wood handle!!! :eek:Not to say it was the only one they had. Well, they were asking 56€ (like $84)for a Spyderco Tenacious. I guess that explains it...

Mikel

Back