1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

1075 chopper with hamon WIP

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Josh Rider, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    I've been wanting to do a larger chopper style blade for a while now and finally got around to starting it.
    Drew out a template and picked up some 1/4" 1075 from Aldo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gave it some jimping

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hollowed the tang so I could taper it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    That's going to be very nice..... :cool:

3. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    I hope so, Dudley. Can't wait to etch and see what's under there.

4. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
  5. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    File didn't bite the edge so we're in business.

[​IMG]

On to the fun part...
    Hand sanding.

I'll take this up to about 1200 before etching.

[​IMG]

6. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    love me a WiP! Pretty cool pattern that I'm stoked to watch come to life

7. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks Lorien!

8. melsdad

melsdad

Apr 3, 2008
    Looking Good!!

9. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thank you 😊

10. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    I don't know about the rest of you, but hand sanding is 75% of my time in a knife.
    I don't look forward to hand sanding, but when I start doing it, it's very calming and relaxing for me.
    Honestly I never really thought about it, but after talking with forum member Matthew Gregory, I realized I enjoy hand sanding, but hate the 15 minutes or so I think about starting it. He could be a knife maker's therapist, although anyone who hand sands cpm 4v to the extent he does may not be right in the head. I kid I kid 😜

[​IMG]image url

Sanding the tapered tang. I may remove some of the flare at the bottom of this handle once all is said and done. I think it looks cool, but if you're chopping, it may dig into the hand.

[​IMG]image url

11. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    Fine job...:cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Thanks Dudley :thumbup:

13. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    1200 grit and cleaned thoroughly.

[​IMG]upload img

Hung it up for the night and started the etch the next morning.

14. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Ok, got my stuff all ready:
    [​IMG]online photo storage

1st etch and scrub.

I used cotton makeup pads to wipe the ferric chloride on the blade while it's in the liquid.
    Then rubbed the oxides off with flitz.

After third etch, had a hamon, but unfortunately it looks nothing like my clay and there is no activity near the clip. After talking for a while to someone waaayyy more knowledgeable than me, this one is going back to the FIYAHH! After all it's a hamon, but not the one I want.

So I'm going to try this again...

15. Ben Seward

Ben Seward Full-time Bladesmith/Part-time Idiot Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 28, 2012
    Imo, you should leave it unless you plan on a sharpened clip. The placement is pretty good and because of the thick cross section you'll have a hard time getting the print you panted with the clay...and personally I kinda like the hamon you got better than the clay;)

16. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    in agreement with Ben on this one

17. J. Doyle

J. Doyle Bladesmith/Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Feb 17, 2008
    I also agree with Ben.

18. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Well fair enough, with those recommendations I'm outnumbered so I'll soldier on and try to develop this hamon.
    Thanks fellas.

19. Dawkind

Apr 3, 2000
    Nothing wrong with that, IMHO....plenty of activity. :)

20. Josh Rider

Sep 2, 2014
    Glad to finally get back to this. After getting a respiratory infection and then a trip to D.C. for work, I finally get to work on this some more.
    Etched and polished a couple more cycles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]