1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

1095 high carbon will it chip if it hits hard surfaces like metal

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by knifeboy14, Nov 2, 2012.

1. knifeboy14

knifeboy14

Oct 14, 2012
    I was just wondering how strong 1095 really is cause I have a gerber gator jr. in high carbon and if i hit a screw or any mental it dents up but holds an edge good
    and whats the difference in high carbon and 1095 high carbon.:confused:

2. Fanglekai

Fanglekai

Jan 7, 2007
    High carbon doesn't specify the alloy.

3. CapitalizedLiving

CapitalizedLiving

Dec 1, 2007
    Do some basic blade steel research - Wikipedia has a pretty simple explanation of the types of blade steels and what the differences are. The same information is also in about 40,000 other places so a quick search will get you what you need.

4. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    Learn to do a search. :)
    Google is your friend.

SAE 1075 or SAE 1095 (the '10' representing the 10-series carbon steels, while '75' '85' and '95' reflect the carbon content of the steel.

DC

6. Maniacal Pete

Maniacal Pete

Oct 16, 2010
    You need to be a little careful about what you hit with your knife.

7. thegeek574

thegeek574

Sep 3, 2010
    I don't know where I read or saw this, but the number 1055 comes to mind.

As to denting when coming in contact with metal, most things do :D This particular knife, based on the fact that it is a production machete, will be tempered to be soft, so that it won't chip as easily. There aren't very many things out in the world that can be 10 thousandths of an inch thick or less and not bend then they come into contact with metal. In your place, I would learn my tool's limitations and try not to make it confront them. It will eventually, but taking good care of it will serve you in good stead.

8. shecky

shecky

May 3, 2006
    Depends a lot on the tempering. As-hardened 1095 will be more prone to chipping than the same steel tempered down several points. A Gerber Gator Jr is likely tempered down to the lower end of the hardness spectrum, making for a durable edge with a tendency to deform before chipping, at the expense of absolute hardness.

9. Doug C

Doug C

Mar 15, 2005
    Hit something hard enough and the edge will either roll/deform/dent or chip.

Doug

10. knifeboy14

knifeboy14

Oct 14, 2012
    I was wanting the esee junglas but dont want to spend 175$ on something that will fail me when chopping wood or if i happen to hit a screw or metal on the way down

11. knarfeng

knarfeng senex morosus moderator Staff Member Super Mod Moderator

Jul 30, 2006
    It isn't just the strength. It's the geometry. Hit a thick piece of steel with a thin sliver of steel and the thin sliver will suffer more than the thick piece. One of them is going to deform and there is not as much steel in the thin edge, so it is not as strong.

Any alloy with more than 0.55% can technically be called "high carbon".

1095 is carbon steel containing 0.95% Carbon. Carbon steel is steel containing Manganese, Carbon, and Iron and no other elements in controlled amounts.

If memory serves, the Gerber Gator has blades made of "420 High Carbon" steel. This is another nomenclature altogether. "420 High Carbon" is not an official alloy, so the composition varies from steel supplier to steel supplier, but it usually has about 0.45% Carbon in it.

12. flarp

flarp

Sep 7, 2011
    Check out the BK2 hard use test thread mentioned above. The OP cuts through wood, sheets of metal, chops through screws holding the lid of a heating unit, cuts through a fiberglass satellite dish, cuts apart a lawnmower, chops up cinder blocks and bricks, and more. It chipped up the edge and scratched the blade surface a lot, but it was able to be sharpened out and put to more abuse.

13. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Apr 9, 2008
    Define ''fail me''

14. knifeboy14

knifeboy14

Oct 14, 2012
  15. knifeboy14

knifeboy14

Oct 14, 2012
    brake ,chip beyond repair , but knarfeng helped me a lot to understand i still have lots to learn cause im only 14

16. grybsh7

grybsh7 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Check out the Browning Barker Crowell Competition knife.
    It is high carbon steel (1080) I think and you can get one for around
    $115 shipped. 15" OAL 10" blade.

[​IMG]

17. knifeboy14

knifeboy14

Oct 14, 2012
    also thanks flarp for showing me that

18. knifeboy14

knifeboy14

Oct 14, 2012
    i dont like the knife myself

19. knifeboy14

knifeboy14

Oct 14, 2012
    does any one have an esee junglas if so is it a well chopper

20. foxx

foxx

Sep 5, 2010
    I did have one, but sold it. It's not a bad knife, very nice handle. Thing is, I found that my $25, 12" long Ontario Cutlass machete could outchop it. It's not only longer, but there's just more mass out there at the tip, due to blade profile. The ESEE is made well, the handle and sheath are excellent. But, if you want a chopper there's lots of better ones out there, an axe comes to mind.;)
    I've beat up Ontario's, chopped up roots, chipped them on rocks and fences, used an 18" to pry up small roots and landscaping weed barriers. They are tough suckers, oh and they are 1095. They are tempered softer than the ESEE Junglas, so I expect the Junglas would hold an edge longer, but machetes are easy to sharpen in the field.
    I'd rather have my 12" Ontario and a 4" fixed blade than just the Junglas, as far as a woods combo.
    Use your brain when chopping, know the limitations of an edge, regardless of the steel. OTOH, a $25 machete with a dinged up edge won't break your heart or wallet, but will still chop and cut.