1911 Combat Survivor new pictures of the working version

Mark Knapp

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi All, I wanted to show you a project I've been working on for a couple of years now. I wanted to do something really cool to celebrate the hundred year anniversary of the Colt 1911 pistol. I decided to build a survival/ combat Bowie on a slimmed down 1911 grip frame and use the magazine for a compartment to house some survival gear.

The first 10 are being donated to the NRA for fund raising auctions. The one pictured here is going to the National Banquet in Pittsburgh the other nine will be at banquets around Alaska.

The blade is 154 CM, 8 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide and 3/16 inches thick. The overall length is 13 inches.

This one has premium blue mammoth ivory, and some extra special survival stuff in the mag.

I had some partners on this project. Caspian arms made the grip frames available to me at a reasonable price, Ken Jantz at Jantz Knife Supply made the blades for me to my specifications and donated ten for the NRA knives, and my friend Scott Hamann at Metal Magic in Kenai Alaska. was also very instrumental in the building of these knives. The magazine from the knife is functional in a .45 (gives you one more round if you need it) and the knife accepts a fully loaded mag for your .45 if you want to do that.

Inside the magazine in the handle is;
The door of the compartment is a diamond hone
a Leatherman Micro
a magnesium and flint fire starter
a needle for sewing
a length of synthetic sinew for snares, fishing, sewing, a bow string etc.
fish hooks
it has capacity for a .45 round
and a flashlight is on the lanyard.

I think the project is pretty cool, I have had a lot of really good feedback.

Thanks for looking, please let me know what you think.

I just got some really good photos from Coop, here they are.
Knapp_110418-webS.jpg

Knapp_110418B-webS.jpg

2011003s.jpg

20112014s.jpg

20112012s.jpg

2011005s.jpg

1911workingversion.jpg

Last edited:
That is beyond cool, not to mention one of the most original ideas ever for a knife design. Very cool of you to donate these to such a worthy cause. Thanks for posting this.

That is original, makes for a nice combo . I'm sure the NRA will benifit from your talent. That knife would really compliment my 1911 :) I like it a lot.

That is beyond cool, not to mention one of the most original ideas ever for a knife design. Very cool of you to donate these to such a worthy cause. Thanks for posting this.

As a member of the NRA (although not an american citizen nor resident), the only thing to add would be: AMEN!

Damn, incredible work brother.

This is an incredible accomplishment as a military bowie Mark. I can see it as a valuable tool although it may need to be dressed down in micarta grips and nylon/kevlar sheath. This well dressed model sure looks cool.

That mammoth ivory makes the blade! I'd be hard put to give that away. Great job!

I think I love the idea.:)

I'm an old, retired soldier who learned how to shoot with a 1911 ... and will always 'love' it best.;)

Wonderful execution, too.

Like others have mentioned, I think it would look wonderful 'dressed down' with simpler grips. Everyone who gets one will treasure it.

Hi Everyone, thank you very much. I should have mentioned that the door of the compartment is a diamond hone for sharpening.

Great minds think alike Bruce, the others will all be with checkered Micarta grips, and a nylon sheath. This one was dressed up quite a bit for the National NRA Banquet.

Psychophipps, I pinned and silver soldered the blade to the guard. The guard is roughly a triangle shape, 3/4 inch wide at the widest. The guard is TIG welded to the grip frame.

Thanks again everyone, Mark

That is really cool! I'd imagine you'll be seeing this idea copied. That ivory is stunning.

Mark, that is a hell of a 1911, 1000-tyear tribute and I hope your innovation gets recognized. I'm very impressed as this is quite a unique project which turned out awesome!

ROCK6

That is really cool! I'd imagine you'll be seeing this idea copied. That ivory is stunning.

Um, I hope not, part of this two year (so far) project involves the overwhelming patent process. Thanks

Um, I hope not, part of this two year (so far) project involves the overwhelming patent process. Thanks
WOW!!!
That is some serious innovation right there :thumbup:
You cater to the gun collectors, knife collectors, history buffs:thumbup:
I bet the militaria guys will love it too:)

Any chance you could give us the patent #?
I love looking at patents for some strange reason:eek:
I like the descriptions:
"A fixed blade outdoor sporting knife designed with a handle capable of accepting a firearm magazine......"

Trent nominates this for the Albert Baer Knife Innovation Of The Year Award

You should do a GLOCK version
You can put in a 10 rd clip or a 20 rd clip
It would be a "variable handle (length)"....lol
Include instructions on how to remove the follower from the magazines
I think part I am talking about is called the follower??
Glock_Magazine.jpg

Last edited:
WOW!!!

I like the descriptions:
"A fixed blade outdoor sporting knife designed with a handle capable of accepting a firearm magazine......"

It has not been issued a number yet, it has been appointed a examiner. At this point it is "Patent Pending"

The description is "COMBAT/SURVIVAL KNIFE WITH EJECTABLE, SELF-CONTAINED GEAR COMPARTMENT" Thanks for the nomination.:D

WOW!!!

I like the descriptions:

You should do a GLOCK version
You can put in a 10 rd clip or a 20 rd clip
It would be a "variable handle (length)"....lol
Include instructions on how to remove the follower from the magazines
I think part I am talking about is called the follower??
Glock_Magazine.jpg

Yep, it's the follower, the possible variations are unlimited, I could do smaller ones on .22 auto frames. Thanks for your enthusiasm. Mark

Back