• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2 knives 154cm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two kitchen knives here in 154cm
Flat ground
convex edge
59-60rc
heat treated by Pacific Heat treat

Top one $Spf US shipped
11" overall
6.25" blade
2" wide
.09" thick at handle
desert ironwood handle

Bottom one $Spf US shipped
12.75" overall
8" blade
2" wide
.09"
OD green G10 handle

20170317_093033-1.jpg

Last edited:
I have no experience with wooden handled knives in the kitchen. How will it stand up to repeated washing? Is the wood sealed? Thanks! These are both really sleek looking knives.

It should hold up very well if you never put it in the dishwasher.

Untreated wood will hold up reasonably well if you hand wash it and are not concerned about appearance or minor cracks. An occasional treatment with food safe tung oil, boiled linseed oil or mineral oil will help extend the life of wood exposed to moisture. I have an untreated knife that has held up well for 30 years with just an occasional oil treatment.

I have no experience with ironwood but from what I've read it's extremely tough and stabilizing it is difficult because of it's natural hardness and oils. I would expect it to hold up well in a kitchen environment.

It should hold up very well if you never put it in the dishwasher.

Untreated wood will hold up reasonably well if you hand wash it and are not concerned about appearance or minor cracks. An occasional treatment with food safe tung oil, boiled linseed oil or mineral oil will help extend the life of wood exposed to moisture. I have an untreated knife that has held up well for 30 years with just an occasional oil treatment.

I have no experience with ironwood but from what I've read it's extremely tough and stabilizing it is difficult because of it's natural hardness and oils. I would expect it to hold up well in a kitchen environment.
Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back