• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

2" x 72" Belt Grinder kit $369.99

Was thinking of ordering one of these but with the lack of communication I am kinda hesitant now. Would sure be nice if Wil Hurley would respond to this thread.

I have used one of the first ones he made at a recent knife class and it worked great. I heard that he is in the process of switching suppliers for some of the machining, so that may be what has kept him busy.

ETA: Once he gets back on track...parts in stock communication etc....I think I would like to try one. I just dont understand the lack of communication when you have someones money? Not cool.....Most of us are understanding when there is a delay, but that is if there is some sort communication involved. Still looking for a couple positive reviews.

I was interested at one time......I think I am over it:confused::thumbdn:

Last edited:
Heck, I may still pick one of these up in the future if he's still making 'em. Looks to be a solid design.

--nathan

sorry this is not going good like every one had hoped, this was the answer to a lot of starting makers. he is a good guy just gets caught up and behind. but if there is ever a problem he has been good in the past to refund everyone. this is an example, he was going to do some calendars with makers knives in them. some things caught him up and he refunded every one.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514346&highlight=calendar
so just hang in there, i have never dwelt with him personally but he seams to be a good guy.

so anyone hear anything yet?

those who bought one of these any updates you could give?

jake

Asked wil what to do, he didnt say...so here it goes:

straight from an email on 10/20

"I had to go out of. Town unexpectly
Will get with everyone As soon as I get back
Wil"

So....What exactly would one need in total for a kit to make his own knives (Minus heat treat) but especially for modifying con vexing large blades? How much would the extra supplies cost?

Wil sells the tooling arms for 35 dollars I think

Motor needs to be atleast 1hp. The bigger the better

Variable speed or a VFD would be great but gets expensive

Jake

straight from an email on 10/20

"I had to go out of. Town unexpectly
Will get with everyone As soon as I get back
Wil"

Essentially the same email we got, I think it was back on Sunday or Monday. Thats it as far as communication since he got payed though. At this point we'd just like the money back, gonna go ahead an pony up the money for a KMG.

Grant

Essentially the same email we got, I think it was back on Sunday or Monday. Thats it as far as communication since he got payed though. At this point we'd just like the money back, gonna go ahead an pony up the money for a KMG.

Grant

I'm in the same boat. I got Wils reply about being out of town. My check was sent out on 9/24 and went thru about a week later. I have learned more from this thread than from contact with Wil. I would feel much better about this if he would just post up or reply.
I'm waiting a few more days before taking further action and have emailed him my intent.
I do hope this works out and the courtesy of communication would be most beneficial.

Problems..problems. I paid Wil Sept 14, received the basic unit less wheels and handle a few weeks later. There was a lack of proper machining on many parts, broken parts in transit, missing handle,etc. I emailed him immediately and his reply was...don't worry ...it'll all work out, and he basically blew it off. I decided to let go for a while to give him a chance. Wheels and handle still are not here. His chance is now over with me. I am going to contact Paypal with whom I paid and see what can be done. On the other hand I called Rob Frink with KMG grinders and asked for a 6" drive wheel with a special bore for a large motor I had on a Wednesday. I had the specially made part Friday morning. Service is not everything..but it is a lot.

FWIW, I sent Wil a final email earlier today. I am in the same state as he is but fairly far away, I am planning to file a police report on Wednesday if I do not hear from him.

John L, you are lucky, I never recieved a handle, just the grinder body which at this point is worth it's weight in scrap steel as far as I am concerned.

I see a Coot in my future..

Last edited:
Think i just found my next grinder..im using a j&L right now..but this baby looks like the second ive been lookin for..sweet deal also..later Luke

FWIW, I sent Wil a final email earlier today. I am in the same state as he is but fairly far away, I am planning to file a police report on Wednesday if I do not hear from him.

Porterb123, you are lucky, I never recieved a handle, just the grinder body which at this point is worth it's weight in scrap steel as far as I am concerned.

I see a Coot in my future..

John L recieved some parts, I have nada but 623.00 out of my pocket.
I am waiting until tomm to file a police report as well. Good luck

John L recieved some parts, I have nada but 623.00 out of my pocket.

My bad, fixed it.. I knew someone got a handle.. looks like we're all getting the shaft.

No one here knows Wil? Someone that knows him needs to comtact him and let him know that he has a bunch of pissed off people over here.

Back