2011 Forum Knife Picture/Review Thread

kreole

Gold Member
Since no one's made one yet, I wanted pictures before I got mine, and I received it today, I figured it would be a good idea :)

Unfortunately, I would take poor pictures with the best camera in existence, and I only have a cheap cellphone, but hopefully it will spur others to take and post pictures.

The f&f on mine is superb. I think the part that most epitomizes this is the bullet end. It has seven layers of metal stacked together, and they feel like a single piece. It characterizes every portion of the knife; there are no gaps anywhere, and the bone transitions smoothly into the bolsters. The springs are flat when open and closed, though each stands a bit proud in the half stop position.

0GkGo.jpg

You'll also notice the blade and screwdriver/bottle opener are centered in their channels, and the swedge on each side begins (ends?) at the same place.

The bolsters have a mirror finish, and the finish on the blade and screwdriver are nice, a brushed finish almost.

HIncd.jpg

If I was forced to choose a favorite feature, it is the bone. The jigging feels nice in hand, but it's the coloring that stands out to me. It makes me think of a root beer float, the brown soda flavoring most of it with clumps of ice cream showing up around the edges.

4CPAM.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to show it in the picture, but the edges everywhere are precise to the point of almost being sharp (which is not to say uncomfortable). This includes the screwdriver tip and the spine of the knife.

b3aD1.jpg

I do not have enough knives along the spectrum to exactly characterize pull by number, but I'd say the blade is a 5/6 and the screwdriver is 7/8. The sound of the snap of the screwdriver opening is vigorous. The walks, also, of both are very nice.

I didn't take a picture of the tube, but the design looks wonderful. If there are posters made (there was some talk of that in a previous thread), I certainly am getting one!

I'm looking forward to hearing about the others :)

Thanks to everyone who got this from a forum vote to a physical knife in my mailbox. This was my first year participating, and it was a great experience.

Great post. Thanks for starting the thread. Looking forward to getting mine. I was notified that it was shipped today. Might have it late Saturday afternoon.

Mine rolled in today and I just got home after a 13 hour day. Too dark for pics now, but people are going to be very happy with the quality of this knife. Blades are dead center, grinds fit and finish as good as it gets on a production piece. Backsprings are a little proud at half stop (as I expect on a mid priced production knife) but nice and flush (either blade) in full open position. The label is just awesome! Very sharp right out of the box in that I can swipe a cash register receipt all the way across the width in a swipe. The pull is about a 5 on the master and 6 on the very stout screwdriver bottle opener blade. The fit of the bone to the knife and the walk & talk of both blades is commendable also. Very slick and smooth.

Once I get some time and daylight to shoot some pics I will, but it will be Sunday before I have a day off.

Well done everyone. You all should be proud of your efforts and my sincere thanks goes to each of you as well as GEC.

Thanks for starting this thread, kreole!

This is what I have been waiting for!

Ok - out to the workshop to box up tomorrow's load!

best regards -

mqqn

Nice. First knife posted and it looks great. So let's make this the OFFICIAL 2011 BF KNIFE REVIEW/PICTURE THREAD.

After my usual ritual of using Ren Wax on the knife a couple of other aspects jumped out at me. I have no desire to sharpen the knife out of the box. I like the edge they have on it. I will probably strop it a little just because it is unusual for me not to sharpen a new knife. I am digging the master blade too. This is a knife ready for work.

GEC really did a fine job. The excellent finish goes into the insides too. Springs and n.s. liners are very clean and finished to a nice shine. Not a sign of grit anywhere in the shiny channels. The 4 handle pins are nicely flush with the handle and each is expertly set with no disturbance of the surrounding bone. The pinned shield sits evenly on top of the bone. GEC paid attention to all the details very well.

This knife is schweeet. :D

Thanks for starting this thread, kreole!

This is what I have been waiting for!

Ok - out to the workshop to box up tomorrow's load!

best regards -

mqqn

The Post Office will be closed tomorrow Andy -- Nov 11 -- it's Veteran's Day.

A few years back I was reading about the BF traditional knife project. I asked how one gets in on the deal. One of the great members replied back and said you just did. This will be my third BF traditional knife, and I got in this time only to support the project because I was not into that pattern. Well did you all ever prove me wrong, I love it and can hardly wait? I give a big thank you to all that worked to get this knife to fulfillment. Thanks you.
Bob.

Hi Ed -

Oh yea !

I will have a big load for Saturday then!

best regards -

mqqn

Mine rolled in today and I just got home after a 13 hour day. Too dark for pics now, but people are going to be very happy with the quality of this knife. Blades are dead center, grinds fit and finish as good as it gets on a production piece. Backsprings are a little proud at half stop (as I expect on a mid priced production knife) but nice and flush (either blade) in full open position. The label is just awesome! Very sharp right out of the box in that I can swipe a cash register receipt all the way across the width in a swipe. The pull is about a 5 on the master and 6 on the very stout screwdriver bottle opener blade. The fit of the bone to the knife and the walk & talk of both blades is commendable also. Very slick and smooth.

I figured I would just save myself the trouble and copy your post Gus, since I got mine today as well, and my initial review would read EXACTLY the same. Although I did leave the house at 6:30 and got home at 8:30, so I got you beat by an hour today :p.

I only have twist off caps on my current beer selection (Yuengling Lager), so I will have to pick up some Negra Modelo to try out the opener.

Thanks guys for a GREAT knife. It's going to be tough to top this one.

i dunno about the post office tomorrow
banks are closed (i work with the banks) but the schools are open ... not sure about the post offices though

i dunno about the post office tomorrow
banks are closed (i work with the banks) but the schools are open ... not sure about the post offices though

Veteran's Day is a Federal Holiday and the Post Offices observes this holiday and will be closed. (verified on the USPS web site)

I'm hoping GEC will make a few in this configuration for those of us who weren't smart enough to get in on the forum knife. But, whether that happens or not, it does my heart good to see some of the great folks here getting such a beauty of a knife. May you all enjoy them.

Man, that peachseed looks good!! That color does it proud!

Yes, sir. Beautiful knife in so many ways. Mine does seem to have an odd bit of grind at the tip. Kind of off just a tad at the very end. Maybe dished or flat on one side in the last 1/4 inch. Instead of a point it seems like it has a tiny nose. I can live with it and may eventually smooth it out. Even so, it is sharp out of the box. I'll probably strop it a little to fine tune it.

Everything else is most excellent. The fitting is superb. The springs, liners, shield, and scales are all flush, no gaps, and are very well fitted. Very impressive fit. Both the scales and the metal parts are nicely polished Good walk and talk, plus clean half-stops. Balance and weight are also excellent. I keep wanting to slip it into my pocket.

Very pleased.

I only have twist off caps on my current beer selection (Yuengling Lager), so I will have to pick up some Negra Modelo to try out the opener.

The cap lifter will work fine on twist offs:)

Thanks for posting pics kreole, being up in Canada my knife will be a couple weeks behind the rest.

Good excuse to stock up with more beer and cider while I'm waiting!

The pictures show a truly remarkable knife both in form and execution, well done everybody. Really looking forward to mine.

Back