2011 Forum Knife Picture/Review Thread

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Andy I can't take it!
Mail mine out!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
;)

Awesome pictures!!! I really love the lighting and contrast on the first pic on the wood rail...she looks amazing!!!

*is dying to get mine in my hand*

Mmmh! If they look this good direct from the tube, imagine what they'll be like after a few months pocket-wear :D:thumbup: Magnificient! I do hope everybody is pleased with their knife(ves)

The colors in that bone, Remind me of an
old Remington Jack knife... Looks really nice!
look forward to see it up close and personal. Thanks
for the great pic's...

Jason

Anyone else less than impressed with the capability of the cap lifter? There is very little "hook" to get under the beer cap. I had it slip off several times. Lord knows I've opened enough beer bottles in my life to get it right..

Anyone else less than impressed with the capability of the cap lifter? There is very little "hook" to get under the beer cap. I had it slip off several times. Lord knows I've opened enough beer bottles in my life to get it right..

I raised that concern when the proto blanks were posted, guess I'll find out soon enough.

My thoughts too Corey. It (the hook) doesn't look adequate from the pictures I've seen. Mine should be here in a couple of days. If it doesn't work as it should, I'll send it to GEC for a fix. It's all well and good to have a pretty knife but if it isn't functional, it isn't worth squat.

I looked at the caplifter on my SAK and old Remington's and the GEC does not have the same geometries that allow for a real prying action. Functionally the GEC isn't even close. Its a bit disappointing since that is what was to make this EO special. I don't know, you guys try it out and see what you think...

Yep. I was afraid of this because me stag handled bottle opener from GEC didn't work very well. This tool is even worse. I tried 20 times to open a beer, finally got it.

GEC knows their knives, they can't drink beer for anything.

Every thing else about this knife is exceptional, but to me it is a spear blade and a flat-head. Not what I had in mind.

Very tough to tell from the pics but it might be a simple fix with a file. Just give a little more aggressive hook maybe?

^I hope so.

I think there were more than a few people who saw the possibility of a "non-functional bottle cap lifter" coming before the knife was even made, if I recall correctly.

Very tough to tell from the pics but it might be a simple fix with a file. Just give a little more aggressive hook maybe?

That is what I will probably do, if it does not work well. I will trace out the hook from a scout knife bottle opener that works, and then file it, sand it, buff it. I hope others have functionality in the cap lifter.

That is what I will probably do, if it does not work well. I will trace out the hook from a scout knife bottle opener that works, and then file it, sand it, buff it. I hope others have functionality in the cap lifter.

Sounds like a good plan.

...Every thing else about this knife is exceptional, but to me it is a spear blade and a flat-head. Not what I had in mind.

For me the caplifter was a perk but I'm more excited about the flat driver. I'm actually hoping that some of this years Christmas gifts will be "some assembly required"! Don't forget it's also a (light use) pry tool... though I doubt that would be officially recommended. ;)

I remember in the design thread a member asked if GEC would be trying the cap lifter before producing...so if this wasn't done its a little disappointing, I wont be modding it, I will leave that to GEC to make right as I didn't pay out to have to take to it with a file or dremel. :)

Haven't got mine yet, but the cap lifter isn't a big deal. To paraphrase The Most Interesting Man in the World: "I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it almost always has a twist top."

The screwdriver was more important to me.

The cap lifter is essential if this knife is going to kick the Vic Tinker out of my pocket. It seems like I open more bottles than boxes these days.

Luckily, I just purchased a new set of files for a different project. :)

I drink Cognac for the most part so the bottle opener really isn't an issue, (I didn't vote for the caplifter anyway) but less than 5 minutes with a round diamond file fixed it fine.

I love this knife and the only complaint I had was that the shield should have been epoxied as well as pinned, mine a little high on one side and I can push it down a very little, just a minor issue.

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8 for F&F, the scales are a 9 and outta the box sharpness was a 7, accuracy in representing the EO Jack pattern and comfort in the hand, a definite 9, (this puppy will give my '09 Forum Barlow some serious competition for pocket space this year.

That's an overall score of 8.25, the '10 Moose was a 7.50 the '09 Barlow was a 9, the '08 Stockman was an 8, the '07 Cannitler was an 7.75 and finally the '06 Ring Opener Pen was an 8.

Here's a few quick pics, better ones to follow.

045-4.jpg

046-2.jpg

049-2.jpg

060.jpg

Here's a guick shot of all the Traditionals Forum knives.

009-11.jpg

Last edited:
Could you send it in to have the shield peen checked? it'd probably be a quick fix, but that would irk me...doesn't affect it obviously but its one of those "you know its there" issues.

Back