2012 Bladeforums Knife - Chatting Thread

The Sheepfoot in the GEC 61 Half Cong certainly does sit high, rather too high for my tastes.

A Sheepfoot/Lambsfoot single blade in the English style would be a very nice knife to have. Rat-tail Bolster and Barehead, wood or bone.

Just an update....

Congress Jack still way ahead...stockman gaining ground, wharnie trapper and the sowbellies right with him...sodbuster and swayback behind them...eureka jack and camp/scout waking up.

Just to let you all know, we're planning on letting the rat race run for a week (ending 2/29 - good use of leap year) then we'll have an official poll thread between the patterns that are head and shoulders above the rest.

and here comes tooth pick.... tooth pick com ing up the out side... its neck a neck...toothpick and stockman... congress jack ahead by a length....
Scratchings:fixed blade,yukon &
further scratchings :toenails & soddie.
come on stockman .

Last edited:
For the sake of the mods, I will avoid further confusion, so I will keep from posting again on the "pattern thread" (I already put my personal preferences) and instead use this thread for the talk...but I do like Willgoy's idea of a single bladed lambsfoot "English style" (as I wrote, any single bladed knife will be fine for me, as long as it doesn't get over 3,5" or 3,625").
Manfred argued that this choice could reduce somehow the cost (one blade costs less than three) and allow to use "higher" steels or handle materials, which would be good. I just guess that many people would not jump for a single bladed straight blade folder, but that's just my impression...while the Congress Jack seems to be more popular :)
On the other side, and for the same reasons, I guess that if we opted for a big stockman, the choices for steel and (mostly) handle material would inevitably be less.
Anyway, I don't really know much about the potential costs of having a knife made as a SFO (I know it also depends on the maker chosen), so I have no idea of how budget could limit the choice.
I'm also sad that no one seems to approve my awesome idea of a stag balisong with half stops...after all, it sounded traditional enough to me :D

Fausto
:cool:

Well I just updated our speadsheet and the leader is still the congrass jack with the large stockman being next.

Also want to add I know I'm in the minority but I would really like to see Case produce the knife this year. I really don't want GEC. I'd like an old Case to be this years knife.

Well I just updated our speadsheet and the leader is still the congrass jack with the large stockman being next.

Could you please explain what this means in terms of the Pattern Picking Process? Does the selection committee decide the pattern based on posts in the Pattern thread, or will there be an opportunity to vote from among the ideas that seem to have garnered the most interest, or...? If I've missed this information, I apologize.

In the meantime, almost every time someone posts another idea or picture, I think, "Yes! That one!"

Which brings me to,
Also want to add I know I'm in the minority but I would really like to see Case produce the knife this year.... I'd like an old Case to be this years knife.

Yes! That one!

Among many.

~ P.

Could you please explain what this means in terms of the Pattern Picking Process? Does the selection committee decide the pattern based on posts in the Pattern thread, or will there be an opportunity to vote from among the ideas that seem to have garnered the most interest, or...? If I've missed this information, I apologize.

In the meantime, almost every time someone posts another idea or picture, I think, "Yes! That one!"

Which brings me to,

Yes! That one!

Among many.

~ P.

Yes the top 5 or so will go up for vote in about a week. The winner will then be the pattern and then on to the next stage in the process. Hope that helps. Ash

I like a sowbelly and I'm a fan of the saddle horn pattern, but that Congress Jack is all kinda ticklin' my funny bone. Great pattern I could see riding in my pocket alot. Gotta be my first vote there. I like soddies but seems a little plain for the forum knife, don't care for toothpicks or toenails personally.

I'm not sure if I have just missed it in my knife wanderings but is wharncliffe trapper a given pattern or is that just a trapper with a wharncliffe blade? Slim trapper frame? Does anybody have a picture of the accepted norm? I like trappers and I like wharncliffes, so I kinda want to get behind that. I think the congress jack would still be my first pick, but there it is.

Jon

One more question for the mods (or anyone who can give an answer).
As far as I know (I wasn't here for the previous BF knives) one handle material is chosen, but there could be a chance to have it in different materials inside of the BF knife SFO? I know that the brand could decide to produce the same knife in other materials later, but I'm asking specifically for the BF knife order. Same thing for steel...if we had the knife made by GEC (so far, it seems the most probable chance), could it be done in both the "standard" steels (1095 and 440C) or just one? I have no idea of the costs of this, I was wondering if we could get the option (and then maybe order more than one BF knife in a different version).
Meanwhile, I'm really supporting the Congress Jack (not that I would dislike the wharncliffe trapper), I'm convincing people to register to BF (they don't need to say anything nor speak English, just post in and write "Congress jack" :D ) and I'm more and more fantasizing about the Congress Jack based on the GEC #61 frame and in 440C and ebony handles...what? nothing is decided yet? really? are you sure? well I guess dreams are free... :rolleyes:

Fausto

I really don't want GEC. I'd like an old Case to be this years knife.

Could Case deliver the quality we desire? Let's say old Case knives quality?

Also IIRC Case ask for large quantity commitment, so the question is more weather they want to take the project.

Mike

One more question for the mods (or anyone who can give an answer).
As far as I know (I wasn't here for the previous BF knives) one handle material is chosen, but there could be a chance to have it in different materials inside of the BF knife SFO? I know that the brand could decide to produce the same knife in other materials later, but I'm asking specifically for the BF knife order. Same thing for steel...if we had the knife made by GEC (so far, it seems the most probable chance), could it be done in both the "standard" steels (1095 and 440C) or just one? I have no idea of the costs of this, I was wondering if we could get the option (and then maybe order more than one BF knife in a different version).
Meanwhile, I'm really supporting the Congress Jack (not that I would dislike the wharncliffe trapper), I'm convincing people to register to BF (they don't need to say anything nor speak English, just post in and write "Congress jack" :D ) and I'm more and more fantasizing about the Congress Jack based on the GEC #61 frame and in 440C and ebony handles...what? nothing is decided yet? really? are you sure? well I guess dreams are free... :rolleyes:

Fausto

I can only speak for past BF knives. All knives made for a particular year have been the same handle material and the same steel. The stag for the Barlow was provided anonymously by one of the BF members. That was some nice stag and is what made that knife such a thing of beauty.

If enough folks think it's important, it probably wouldn't hurt to ask the question. I suspect it would drive up the price, and it would sure add to the task of distribution.

Maybe if Waynorth or one of the other folks from last years endeavor see this, they can weigh in.

I remember reading the same thing about the minimum order for a SFO regarding Case, Mike. I don't recall what the exact number was, but I'm fairly certain that we haven't exceeded that total in a single year up to this point.

I personally don't think that multiple scale or steel choices are necessary. I like that the final choice is what the majority decides on. That's part of the charm of the Forum Knife. It's not a knife made custom for me, it's something that the community picks. I'm also in favor of keeping this as simple as possible for Spark. If this turns into a headache for him, I doubt he'd be thrilled about doing it again in the future.

Just an update....

Congress Jack still way ahead...stockman gaining ground, wharnie trapper and the sowbellies right with him...sodbuster and swayback behind them...eureka jack and camp/scout waking up.

The first three all sound like good choices. It's going to be tough to pick one... but... ;)

sowbelly-ovb.jpg

I remember reading the same thing about the minimum order for a SFO regarding Case, Mike. I don't recall what the exact number was, but I'm fairly certain that we haven't exceeded that total in a single year up to this point.

I personally don't think that multiple scale or steel choices are necessary. I like that the final choice is what the majority decides on. That's part of the charm of the Forum Knife. It's not a knife made custom for me, it's something that the community picks. I'm also in favor of keeping this as simple as possible for Spark. If this turns into a headache for him, I doubt he'd be thrilled about doing it again in the future.

Good points, Dan.

Good points, Dan.

Thanks, Gary. It's easy to get carried away with what we each want as an individual. I've been guilty of it myself in the past. A big part of the fun is seeing what everybody else wants as well. I try to have the mindset that even though my preferred knife may not be picked, in the end we will come up with a heck of a nice choice. In 2010 the "Moose" was my least favorite of the options, but I bought one anyway. I've used and enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.

In my opinion and based on my experience doing the knife last year....if you want a choice of blade steel and handle material, get a custom knife. The BF knife is a production knife that is based on the consensus of the forum. Adding options like this will only increase the price and honestly, I doubt most manufacturers would be willing to do it.

We have not gone with Case because their minimum order is too high for us (500 I believe). Other manufacturers like GEC, Canal Street, etc. are smaller shops and they welcome the business. I don't think it's worth it to Case from a business standpoint to do projects like ours.

Back