1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

2012 HTM Forum Gunhammer: Blade steel -- *INPUT NEEDED*

Discussion in 'Darrel Ralph (DDR) Custom Knives & DRT Tactical' started by neuron, Jun 7, 2012.

1. CPM-S30V

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. CPM-S35VN

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 154CM (or, if possible, CPM-154 - the PM version of 154CM)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Elmax

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. CTS-XHP

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Any of these is fine/defer to the expertise of others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neuron

neuron Moderator Moderator

Apr 18, 2010
    Time to get things moving on the details of the HTM Forum Gunhammer (see this thread, especially Hark's post)! Right now, the only feature that's set in stone is that it'll have a manual flipper with Maxx Glide bearing pivot. Blade shape will be either Bowie or Torpedo (you choose at the time of ordering). The cost will be $310 per person for the version with anodized aluminum handles, and we'll need a minimum of 25 orders to go ahead with this.

I've already started threads soliciting input on the blade finish and handle anodizing color. One big option we still need to decide on is the blade steel, so that's what this thread is for.

The options are in the poll above. M390 isn't an option because, at least for now, that's a KnifeCenter exclusive on the HTM Gunhammers. I've also left out various 9% Vanadium steels that a few people have mentioned. I'm a huge steel junkie and agree that something like S90V, S110V, 10V, etc. would be awesome, but for reasons of availability and price (both for the material itself and for the additional time/expense of working with it) they'd likely make this whole project less feasible and/or significantly more expensive. I've also included an "any of these is fine/defer to the expertise of others" option for folks who don't have a strong opinion and/or haven't tried some of the steels in the poll.

I know that there are a lot of other steels out there besides the ones listed, but these seem to be the main ones that HTM has worked with (or has on hand) and/or that have been suggested in the discussion thread on the Forum Gunhammer (excluding the ones mentioned above -- M390, S110V, etc.).

2. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    I would like to say, I probably won't be a buyer if it's 154cm/s30v/s35vn.

I'm down for Elmax but would prefer the CTS-XHP as I have advocated previously.

3. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    I chose the option I requested, but I'd prefer not 154CM or S30V. I'd be happy with either Elmax or CTS-XHP.

4. neuron

Apr 18, 2010
    Yeah, I just put those on there for the sake of completeness since they're steels that HTM uses/has used on the production Gunhammers. The real competition -- and the real winner -- is almost certainly going to be between Elmax and CTS-XHP.

5. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    I do find the argument for CTS-XHP to be pretty persuasive. Variety is the stuff of life.

6. neuron

Apr 18, 2010
    Agreed. If it ends up being close between CTS-XHP and Elmax, I think TriviaMonster's point in the other thread -- basically, that CTS-XHP would set the knife apart more than Elmax -- would tilt the balance in favor of XHP.

7. Liquidm1980

Liquidm1980

Jun 26, 2005
    is there a projected price yet?

i went with "Any of these is fine/defer to the expertise of others"

8. DrOpPoInT1110

DrOpPoInT1110

Jan 28, 2009
    I believe projected price so far is $310

9. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    I think Hark said $310+shipping would be the max. It MAY be lower depending on the choices though.

We do need 25 buyers though.

10. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I previously wanted elmax...but now that I look at my collection I have decided that I want some cts-xhp goodness in my stable. I have 4 elmax knives now, including a custom, so I think a little diversity is in order for me at least. I just sold the only cts xhp knife I had and I already miss it. The steel performed on par with my M390, so I instantly fell in love.

11. BePrepared

BePrepared

Aug 26, 2010
    Why no M390? :(

12. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Because it would be unfair to KnifeCenter, who requested a sprint in that steel, and Darrel isn't willing to do that to a customer. If you want an M390, Knife Center has an "exclusive" sprint run of the Gun Hammer in that steel.

13. drillsgt71

drillsgt71

Dec 1, 2010
    I'm planning to buy a ZT 561 in Elmax so I would like this knife to have CTS XHP.

14. harkamus

harkamus

Apr 23, 2007
    s90v and s110v would jack up the cost by 50 bucks. If you ask me, your best bet is either Elmax or CTS XHP. m390 is out of the question. s30v/35vn are the usual affair for Gunhammers, so I don't see why you would want that. The Gunhammers are all s35vn nowadays actually. We have shifted from s30v to 35vn. If you want some other steel that I should inquire about, let me know. I think I read mention of d3 or something like that.

15. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    Cts-xhp!!!

16. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Well, with all of the votes, I think we've probably got enough people who would be cool with CTS-XHP.

17. neuron

Apr 18, 2010
    The poll has only been open for 48 hours or so, so I'm going to keep it open a bit longer before declaring a winner. It's not like there's going to be much action on the actual knife until Darrel et al. get back from BLADE anyway.

But yeah, I agree that the interest in CTS-XHP is encouraging, especially given that a decent chunk of the Elmax people would probably be cool with CTS-XHP (and vice versa).

18. crimsonfalcon07

crimsonfalcon07

Dec 27, 2010
    Might throw up a signup thread once we get it finalized. Sounds like it will likely be blue scales, cts-xhp, maxx glide manual, stonewashed, eh?

19. 1SHOT1KILL

1SHOT1KILL Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2009
    NNNNNNOOOooooooooooo.....not the blue scales......whats up with people and blue scales....blue is my favorite color....just NOT on a knife...:barf:

20. neuron

Apr 18, 2010
    Yeah, that's certainly the way it's looking. In a few days I'll post the winning configuration and start a signup/commitment thread.

Haha, at least it's a pretty subdued/tasteful blue and not the Smurf blue that seems to be a pretty popular G10 color right now (e.g., on the Kershaw forum Skyline).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.