2012 Schatt and Morgan Heritage series

Queen produces Schatt and Morgan.

Personally, I fell in love with the bone Woodsman the first time I saw it and have one on order. It shipped Monday and I am hoping for delivery tomorrow.

I couldn't stop myself! I just ordered one in ebony.

Knowing of your experience with Queen and the experience I had with them over the S&M Fire and Ice Wharncliffe built by Queen that I got, I have to agree with you Stu.

Well, I probably shouldn't say never. I mean they could turn things around I suppose, but they will have to do a whole lot better than what I see here to prove it.
I hate it too because I really like the idea of these heritage knives. I just wish we could count on a consistent quality product.
I wish there was a Queen dealer near me. I would definitely try to get my hands on one of these new models.

What with the bleed-off of Queen employees just prior to and after GEC's start-up, it is no wonder that their products have suffered. Hopefully, they'll be able to recruit new, experienced or at least semi-experienced cutlerers and be able to train them in order to put out the quality knives thery were building just 8-years or so ago.

Mailman came. Woodsman is here.
Interesting knife with unusual action in opening and closing the blades. Kind of like having a half stop, but not quite. The corners of the blade tang are fairly prominent. So making the final movement to fully opened or fully closed is a strong one, but in between the initial and final movements, the movement is light. (Opening it is easier than any of my GECs. Call it a 5.) Never had a knife with quite this action. I find it acceptable, but some might not. The main blade shows this action the most. Boy howdy, when that blade finishes snapping open, that is one solid blade. No wobbles in any of the blades, but that main blade is really something.

This is the sharpest Queen knife out of the box I have gotten. I like the grinds on the blades and the blade geometries are very nice. Going to be good cutters, all.

The rest of the fit and finish is pretty nice. One hairline gap between one of the springs and the liner. And when the main blade is in the opened position, the spring doesn't quite lay exactly even. It isn't wildly off, but you can feel it. The scales are very, very nice. Pics to follow.

I look forward to the pictures of the bone. That Woodsman could be a knife I'd like very much.

Thanks, Will

Great photos, guys. In my opinion, the knives do look a bit sloppy... as did the Heritage series knives from 2011. I do like the 2012 patterns a lot but I'm still on the fence. I want the cattle knife mostly because it has the swedge and long pull on the sheep foot... but I don't think I'd be able to manage a 9.5 out of 10 for the pull. Originally, I wanted the Woodsman but the huge tang bothers me... maybe Frank's photos will push me over the edge.

The unusual movement sounds like the "Queen half stop pause". My Robeson, Winchester and Queen branded stock knives all have it. It's something that I've gotten used to and kind of like.

Jake......

The Half-Pause is different on these than it is on the Winchester and Queen stock knives......were on the Queen branded it feels like a fluid motion with a slight pause .....on the Heritage Stock knife it feels as though it wants to grab like a half stop and than release to fully open...like Frank mentioned it's different type of action

My Cattleman has that same weird "half stop". It's more prominent on the Spear blade but the others have it too. It also has a "spongy" feel to it. These are unique to say the least.

My cleaning and lube job made little difference, if any, in the blade pulls or the action.

One other thing I noticed about the action.
The first pull as you open the blade is easier than the pull needed to achieve full-open. This is very cool. You get an easy-on-the-thumbnail initial open. Then you get an almost loose movement, then you get a robust pull out to fully open. That robust pull is easy to achieve when you switch from thumbnail to pinching the blade. Very different than any other knife I have ever opened. Takes a bit of getting used to, but I think I like it.

Will,
Bone scales. IMO they are to die for. Looking at them on Mike's site I wasn't enthused. They don't look impressive. But, the first time I held the knife I was very impressed. They are SO smooth, almost a pocket worn effect. It was dark by the time I got home from work tonight, so these are indoor shots, which I do not do all that well. I'll try to take some outdoor shots this weekend. The lighting will be better.

100_3175.jpg

100_3174.jpg

Frank, those bone scales look really excellent! Almost like a 'transplant' from an antique knife!:thumbup::thumbup: Like that frame too, as used on the BF 2010 Moose I believe.

I need to find a seller who sends to Europe at reasonable cost.

Regards, Will

I also think they did a nice job with the jigged bone... as is typical of Queen/Schatt&Morgan. I almost hit the buy it button last night but still have a few questions... Is the main blade on the Woodsman about the same thickness as the clip blade on the 2010 forum knife? How's the grind? Is the steel pretty thick near the edge? Thanks in advance.

Jake....

Hopefully these pictures will help your decision .......

6951005790_e4a985c3de_b.jpg

7097080239_d47a98247e_b.jpg

6951022674_021fdc2e39_b.jpg

In this spine shot image the Bladeforums knife is on the left and Heritage on the right.....

7097088553_d36424d91c_b.jpg

Jim,

great photos!

I do not need to see them, they break my resolve not to also get this one...

I also think they did a nice job with the jigged bone... as is typical of Queen/Schatt&Morgan. I almost hit the buy it button last night but still have a few questions... Is the main blade on the Woodsman about the same thickness as the clip blade on the 2010 forum knife? How's the grind? Is the steel pretty thick near the edge? Thanks in advance.

The tang of the main blade is 0.125"
The edge of the main blade just above the bevel is ~0.022"

She's built like a brick telephone booth, but with an edge that should slice like there's no tomorrow.

My Woodsman is here! It's got a really good fit and finish. The grinds are all nice and it has a good snap. I sanded down the kicks on all three blades a little. I'm sharpening it now and it is taking a really good edge. It was fairly sharp out of the box. They could have made the main blade 1/8 of an inch longer into the tang, but the size of the tang and blade don't bother me. This is going to make a great user! I think it will be my main edc for a while. Here's some pictures!

img1246h.jpg

img1215gd.jpg

img1235u.jpg

img1247d.jpg

img1232ht.jpg

img1234d.jpg

img1238x.jpg

Back