2015 East Coast Custom Knife Show (ECCKS)

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Mar 9, 2015.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    It's going to be a busy weekend in Jersey City, overlooking the Hudson to the Manhattan skyline.

[​IMG]

Susan and I will be there and I'm certain we'll be busy. This show has a more International crowd and flavor compared from the NYCKS at the same venue in November.

Here's the skinny:

[​IMG]

^^^ None of those links work, it's a screen grab. However, more info can be found here: East Coast Custom Knife Show

Click here for the Exhibitors link.

DO NOT EXPECT TO PURCHASE ANY KNIVES WITH IVORY OR SIMILAR. The promotors have dissuaded anyone from bringing perilous materials. Just sayin'. :)

Saturday night: Susan and I walk two mins to a P.A.T.H. subway station and it brings us right to Manhattan. We take a cab to Little Italy for dinner and do the same in return. Every show!

Coop

2. Jon Brand

Jon Brand Gold Member Gold Member

May 28, 2007
    Hope its a great show. I may attend Friday if I can but well see.

3. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    That's funny right there, Jim! ;)

Hope y'all have a great show! Looking forward to the photos and reviews.

4. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    We'll be there Friday and Saturday. The pizza parlor across the street it excellent.

This year is going to be a thin year as several makers (Hinderer, Terzuola and JWS mainly) are skipping this show in order to attend the new show in Miami next month.

5. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    And.... we're off! See you there.

It WILL be an exciting weekend. Always is.

Jim & Susan

6. RogerP

RogerP Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2002
    Travel safe. I'll look forward to the pics.

7. Cliff Parker

Cliff Parker

Feb 23, 2009
    Saw the Ivory thing coming . That is a real shame. Remove all ivory from room at any show other than a full out tactical show is the 1st step to the downfall of it I'm afraid.
    It would turn my business up side down. Real bummer guys.

Cliff

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  8. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    So far, we've had a VERY busy day. Looking forward to more.

One European maker brought some nice folders and taped a PHOTO of the 'missing' ivory onto the scales. But... nothing actually presented on the table.

Ouch to have to go this far. Props for thinking out the box.

There is some really nice work at this show at my viewing/studio locale. I have not stepped into the show hall yet. That busy on Friday.

News tomorrow.

Coop

9. Jon Brand

May 28, 2007
    Sorry I didn't make it I was going to pay you a visit and chat but wouldn't have worked today. You have a nice room there always. We'll get in touch soon!

10. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Curious to hear if the ivory police showed up? Much fossil ivory in the room? Mostly Tacticals? What's up? :)

11. Scurvy092

Scurvy092

Jan 31, 2012
    It was actually very slim pickings this year. Quite a few empty tables. Almost no one had much of anything today. Even the dealers didn't seem to bring much heat. There were only 5 major tactical players in the room. Kirby Lambert, Brian Tighe, Allen Elishewitz, RJ Martin, Peter Rassenti. There were a few South African makers there with tactical as well. I don't count Britton or Ralph intentionally.

I know ECCKS is a little more international than NYCKS but even compared to eccks 2014, it was a bit of a let down.

I only saw two tables selling materials. Mostly bone and horns. Someone was selling 'ivory substitute'.

12. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    ^^^ I can't agree. There are (6) makers who flew in from Italy. Not a huge crowd, which had collectors remarking to me they actually were able to SEE knives this year. Very GOOD pickin's!

The work has been streaming in on this end.
    It may not be as crowded as ECCKS 2014, but I"d never know that.

BTW: The room is upsized from the NYCKS, so it gives the appearance of less people, because they are spread out. I've been told by makers how much they like the 'legroom'.

Coop

13. Cliff Parker

Cliff Parker

Feb 23, 2009
    Where's the Beef ?

Cliff

14. Jon Brand

May 28, 2007
    I don't know where it is but I haven't had any to eat in about 5 years. Its not fun.

15. Halecky Knives

Halecky Knives

Aug 31, 2009
    Went on Saturday. The room was very empty. Slim pickens. Did get some stag from masecraft.

16. Don Hanson III

Oct 3, 2002
    Slim pickens for a knife maker looking for materials? I can see that...

How bout for the custom knife buyer/collectors?

17. Cliff Parker

Cliff Parker

Feb 23, 2009
    I'm starting to think that no news is good news does not apply here.

Cliff

18. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    I'm confused...

What constitutes a good show? If there are plenty of knives left on the tables, then it's a good show for the collectors, and not so good for the makers.

If there are NO knives on the tables and the makers have even left, then they had an especially good show. (Not so endearing for the collectors.)

Today, all the makers are enroute home and exhausted from a long three day show. You won't get the 'fantastic show!' report from them. I saw no one grousing who had a table.

All the proven regulars sold out on friday. The energy was great. Bigger room, lots of people spread out.

Yes, it was mentioned the attendance wasn't as pronounced. However, there is a NEW Fifty/Fifty Productions show in a month (Miami International Knife Expo). I know I talked to more than one person who noted that this new show will attract makers and collectors from another. Hard to do both in 5 weeks.

Finally, for Susan and I we could NOT have been busier! I am exhausted. I have found this a barometer of makers and collectors having a good show.

At any rate, I'll soon have eye-popping and mouth-watering visions of knives which were sold during the show. :thumbup:

This glass is half full. Call me the ECCKS fan boi.... LOL! ;)

Coop

19. barcbsa

barcbsa Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 16, 2000
    I was there on Friday at 11am. I've been to the NJ shows many times and the NYC shows dating back to the early 80's. I spent more time and more money at this weekend's show than any of the others.

I'd call it a good show.

See you all in Atlanta...

20. Cliff Parker

Cliff Parker

Feb 23, 2009
    Glad to start hearing something on the good side . But damn Coop as you said your the ECCKS Boi. not me. Ya take all there photos. and grant you your work is the cream of the crop. That being said. I'm not real sure ya could call it a bad one if it was.
    Could ya ?
    Believe this as a maker the last thing I want to hear is a bad show anywhere.
    Ive read 2 good remarks 2 not so good looking forward to some more.

Cliff

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015