2016 NYCKS - Outstanding People & Outstanding Knives!

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by SharpByCoop, Nov 24, 2016.

1. SharpByCoop

SharpByCoop Enjoying the discussions Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 8, 2001
    We've been doing this show by Fifty Fifty Productions for 9 years now. It's always a crowd favorite and has a different feel than the ECCKS which has been held in the same venue (until 2017).

LOTS of tactical makers. Lots of International makers. It's diverse.

As it is for us, we get there early on Friday morning to set up. It's a 2 hour drive from CT to NJ at this time of day. We stay over till Sunday afternoon. We: Me, my wife Susan, and my 'Bladerunner' son Trevor. We pulled him from school for the day with homework assignments, but first-hand actual working experience. :thumbup:

Trevor was VERY helpful, and picked up and delivered a ton of knives back and forth. This allows me to stay focused on my shooting in the boardroom studio, and allows Susan to carefully write up and be the clerk for our transactions. It takes a team to accomplish rightly.

He spent time on Saturday running around and taking headshots of the makers or table-holders. I'll post them somewhere in this thread, so stay tuned.

However, it's MY job to ©'Capture the Artistry and Significance of Handmade Knives' :)

Let's get going in ALPHABETICAL order....

Coop

2. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    I had never met Herucus Blomerus from So. Africa, until this show. His sturdy folders were a pleasure to handle and shoot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm almost a neighbor to Kevin Cross from CT, who continues his talents making Chef's knives.

[​IMG]

Brooklyn retired LEO Michael Daly, has a good eye for what works out in the field. Here's a simple and effective carry.

[​IMG]

One of my new favorite persons was the veteran maker Tomonari Hamada. He flew in from Japan, and spoke English smartly.
    This 'Sheffield' folder is a stunner! I was captivated by its elegance and decided a white knife needed a pure white royal background.
    He wanted only two views. These two. The Japanese are VERY focused on simplicity.

[​IMG]

However, I am Western and wanted to 'busy it up' with three views. LOL! So I create both sets!

[​IMG]

Ahhhhhh! THIS little folding subhilt had a lever that pulled out and extended to act as the closed guard for the blade. You should have felt how precise the guard folded out of the way. Sweeeeeeet! :eek:

[​IMG]

Also from Japan, Koji Hara's son Dew brought a bunch of these diverse windowframe flipping 'tacticals'. The Master has taught him WELL!

[​IMG]

more....

3. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Des and Lynda Horn did not have a table, yet visited the show (and their daughter in NYC!) this weekend. He brought me a special knife he DID have. (You will see a LOT of Julien Marchal's work in this thread.)

Anyone who knows them respects and admires them for such good skill and personalities.

[​IMG]

Our buddy Jason Knight, MS (TV personality extraordinaire!) has been spending a LOT of time at various maker's hammer-ins and such. He spent a weekend in Maine with Jason Morrissey and Nick rossi creating this monster.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer view of that JM steel and this cool box with a set of magnets which held it perfectly in place.

[​IMG]

I've been shooting Jeremy Krammes' work for many years. I've been admiring his work for as many. He really has a great eye for art and utility.

[​IMG]

Add in some Bertie Reitveld 'dragonskin' damascus, and it's mindblowing!

[​IMG]

R.J. Martin commands the room with his Q36 series. When you add in special timascus and damascus and zirconium, he's completely unobtanium.

[​IMG]

The term ©Scary Sharp probably came from his work on these kwaikens. He brought me three. I showed them both sides. (Look for them at RCC ;))

[​IMG]

Menukis:

[​IMG]

Hard Core sheaths

[​IMG]

One of our favorite visits is Bill, Chris and Robert Bennett (collectors) who bestow us with the brownies their mom/wife Carol makes. We got a complimentary box of them (Nom, nom, NOM!) and I traded an image of RJ's work when he showed me an order that was filled at this show. SO cool!

[​IMG]

more soon...

4. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Thank you as always and Happy Thanksgiving my friend!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Craig Daniel

Craig Daniel

Feb 17, 2016
    Awesome knives and photos, Happy Thanksgiving.

6. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Thanks, coop!
    Can you post some better quality pix on the next round? :D
    rolf

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  7. skyblue

skyblue

Jan 30, 2016
    Thanks for the Thanksgiving eye candy!!

8. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Fabulous pics Jim. I wish you and your family a wonderful thanksgiving.:)

All the best

Steven

9. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    coop!! Please know, I was kidding!!
    Do you want me to remove the post?
    You are one of the best photogs EVER!!!!!!
    rolf

10. DavidZ

DavidZ Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2004
    As always, Great photography of beautiful knives!

11. Steve Nuckels

Steve Nuckels

Aug 18, 2009
    Bravo!

Steve
    ----------
    Member, W.F. Moran Foundation
    ABS Apprentice

12. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    ^^ I said this. Trevor delivered. (photos taken with his Galaxy S7)

Let's start at the TOP of the pyramid: NYCKS promoter Steve D'Lack / Show Director Kylee Allen
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Show Manager: Cricket w/Jon Ukman - Boss Hoss Knives) / I forget his name, but he was a guard. Trevor knew him well. :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sally and Richard Rogers / Pete Pruyn - Brothersville Knives
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Paul Shindler - Knife Legends / Doug Ritter - Knife Rights
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Art Greene - Blue Ridge Knives / JD Van Deventer
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Herucus Blomerus / Wes Crawford
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

??? Tableholder / W.D. (Bill) Pease
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Andrew & John Demko / Mitch Jenkins
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sword guy! / Michael ZIEBA!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jake Hoback / Matt Parkinson
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Aaron Frederick / A lovely/handsome Jerzee Devil couple
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ian Ralph - DDR Knives / Steve Ryan
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mark Straus - Knifeology / Lou Desantis
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Paul Farina / THIS guy is a fixture at EVERY NYCKS. I am embarrassed I don't know his name, but he sharpens knives well enough to make RJ martin cry.... ;)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

John Gray - John Gray Knives / Joe Paranee - Diskin USA / Liong Mah - Liong Mah Designs
    [​IMG]

Joe Paranee says GOOD JOB Trevor! That's it for the people photos!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  13. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Paul Farina was VERY excited about these tantos. One of them is 140 years old, and the other is by current Japanese Master Yoshindo Yoshihara.

The larger, older piece by Owari Masahide (who comes from a long lineage of ancient sword makers even then!) was made around 1870. While I was photographing it Tomonari Hamada looked at it and he was astounded with delight. He was VERY impressed and returned soon after with a fellow from Rockstead to show him, also

[​IMG]

I simply did a series of clear photos for him to send to his clients.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The paperwork authenticated it.

[​IMG]

Look at the small extra tanto which was part of the package. Someone in the know can tell us their usage. I'm told there was a diabolical reason for them. :eek:

[​IMG]

Paul also gave me a piece by Jody Muller to capture. Back to the future!

[​IMG]

More...

14. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Matt Parkinson, JS (First winner on Forged in Fire) brought a bunch of knives and tells me he had a great first show.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete Pruyn flies in from Oregon and also had a good Show. His small knives have quite a following. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike Hasbun scrimmed this crazy Japanese-themed skeleton warrior. Wicked!

[​IMG]

Richard Rogers USED to be renowned for his gentle Sheffield folders. NOW he's knocking them dead with these modern flipper folders. Very savvy and diverse maker.

[​IMG]

15. SharpByCoop

Oct 8, 2001
    Andre Thorburn and Andre Van Heerden collaborate and the result are their A2 knives.

[​IMG]

Andre Thorburn also spends time working with Belgian engraver Julian Marchal (now in So. Africa)

LOOK at the beautiful coloring on the scroll engraving!

[​IMG]

Look VERY closely, and you can find a few characters hidden in that fancy scroll work. It's a jungle in there....

[​IMG]

Wow, they do it well.

[​IMG]

Michael Walker never brings many knives, and when they leave SOMEONE has quite the investment in his skills! Always clean and precise. ALWAYS different.

[​IMG]

And we end with my VERY good buddy Michael ZIEBA. He is setting the knife world on FIRE!
    These folders with the tail are all the rage. As they should be. The brass knuckle is a fun trinket to enhance the work.

[​IMG]

I showed you a white knife on a white background. How about a black knife on a black background? BOTH work famously.
    (This is a benefit model sold to help victims in the Firefighters Union. ALL profits go towards a cause. Mike is or was ALSO a firefighter.)

[​IMG]

Lastly, he showed me this Bowie which won 'Judges Choice' at the past ABS/Guild ICCE show. It's spectacular and is themed after a German hunting Bowie. The chambered guard and the stag oak & acorn butt are created first with 3D modeling then cast into reality with metal. (He's still awaiting a print image from that show (??) and I offered to shoot it for free.) :thumbup:

[​IMG]

We appreciate your viewing.

My next show: The ECCKS now in Fort Lauderdale, FL March 17, 18, 19th. See you there?!

Jim, Susan and Trevor.

16. billf

billf Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Coop

great work as always, and thanks again for all you do for the "industry" :thumbup:

I apologize for not stopping by on Saturday - was on a tight schedule, and had to get home to attend to my wife after her rotator cuff surgery.

Bill Flynn

17. Lycosa

Lycosa

Aug 24, 2007
    Jim- WHAT a great show! Thank you very much!
    rolf

18. The Virginian

The Virginian Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks for posting this, Jim. Always enjoy seeing your "photo journals" of these shows. Looks like your title nailed it . . . Outstanding People and Outstanding Knives. :thumbup:

19. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    The knife world is a MUCH better place because of you - AND Trevor - Coop! What an incredible and diverse display! As always, thanks for sharing.

20. Cjwknives

Cjwknives Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Amazing Pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk